BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Gen4 - Selecting 4WD

More
10 Feb 2020 23:40 #218275 by Bob1050
Gen4 - Selecting 4WD was created by Bob1050
Interesting weather day today with snow, hail and high winds. Reflecting on the Jimny's progress through the snow - a question - Do forum members use the clutch when moving the selector lever between 2WD and 4WD on the move?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
11 Feb 2020 05:12 #218278 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Gen4 - Selecting 4WD
Dunno. On my push button gen3 it's not a requirement as everything is already rotating at the same speed?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
11 Feb 2020 09:13 #218282 by crash486
Replied by crash486 on topic Re:Gen4 - Selecting 4WD
I for one do. A habit from other 4x4s but it can't hurt.

crash486

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Feb 2020 11:35 #218293 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Gen4 - Selecting 4WD
Its a good question Bob.

I have tried both ways, clutch and no clutch. Doesnt make any difference as far as i can tell, and its much easier not to use the clutch rach time. My feeling is its fine to shift without clutch, but 7 times outta 10 i will still use the clutch.

The manual only says to depress the accelerator, which creates more vacuum power i guess.

Mmjhhhhhmmm interesting question.

More
11 Feb 2020 17:56 #218316 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Gen4 - Selecting 4WD
I have no idea, but let's look at the clues as they say.
I believe the front hubs are the same as a G3, ie vacuum operated. The transfer box is lever operated, the G3 transfer box is solenoid operated, its no more than an electrical lever, so can't see much difference here.
You can happily bang in and out of 4WD high on a G3 without using the clutch, the manual indicates you can do this up to some (cant recall) high mph figure. You only need to stop and preselect foot and steering wheel positions (ref manual) for 4wD low.
So I would guess the G4 is the same, but would have expected it to declare the same MPH limit and preselection details in the handbook as it does for the G3.
Also Andy's done it and it works :laugh:

Having said all that I always try and stop if I can. Selected once 4WD Hi while traveling at 35 ish mph, the bang from the front hubs as they engaged went right over my mechanical sympathy level.
But yes, good question.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
11 Feb 2020 20:14 #218325 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Gen4 - Selecting 4WD
The maximum speed is 60mph for 2 to 4 changes but stationary for range changes. When there is actual snow on the ground I will regularly use the 2 to 4 change as the road dictates like when it goes from packed to slush etc. and thus save transmission wind up. It does however require me to anticipate such conditions and have my front hubs in, this also means that I am not experiencing any delay while the hubs engage and then the props link so that reduces the occasions of loud noises from things not quite being in sync. Really though I suspect that the system is like this as a legacy of countries that have more in the way of paved, gravel and dirt road transitions than we have in the UK.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
11 Feb 2020 20:33 #218327 by OctaneJimny
Replied by OctaneJimny on topic Gen4 - Selecting 4WD
As said before you can change from 2H to 4H up to 60mph, make sure your wheels are in the straight ahead position and depress the accelerator
No need to press the clutch. Check the 4wd indicator light has come on and refer to the manual if not. But pressing the clutch will not be a problem but again make sure your wheels are facing straight forward to avoid a jolt through your transmission.

www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...-ivory-manual#210539
Instagram: OctaneJimny
FB: Suzuki Jimny 4th gen (JB64 JB74) owners club

• Dorsetdumpling
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Feb 2020 21:25 #218339 by Dorsetdumpling
Replied by Dorsetdumpling on topic Gen4 - Selecting 4WD
I suppose that dipping the clutch would allow engine revs, and therefore presumably the vacuum to increase?

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Feb 2020 21:29 #218343 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Gen4 - Selecting 4WD

Dorsetdumpling wrote: I suppose that dipping the clutch would allow engine revs, and therefore presumably the vacuum to increase?

Im not sure sbout this vacuum thing, after all, wouldnt the engine be creating a vacuum effect when even idleing, or under engine breaking??

More
11 Feb 2020 21:41 - 11 Feb 2020 21:43 #218345 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Gen4 - Selecting 4WD
Yes it's present all the time, we even have a small tank to store it.
I believe the "accelerate slightly" is more to reduce the enormous bang as the front hubs engage. The forces under engine braking are larger than under slight acceleration, ie it's a speed match as they engage / disengage.
Just my idea.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 11 Feb 2020 21:43 by Scimike.

More
11 Feb 2020 22:54 #218347 by Bob1050
Replied by Bob1050 on topic Gen4 - Selecting 4WD
Thanks for your thoughts/experience - appreciate your input. As Lambert indicates on a G3 the system is selected by a button/electrical connection - so depressing the clutch will have zero to add to the process. As for keeping the accelerator depressed - I can understand the logic. Andy2640 has discovered from personal experience on his G4, that not using the clutch doesn't lead to catastrophic transmission failure - Phew!

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Feb 2020 12:09 #218369 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Gen4 - Selecting 4WD
thought it was the same as a gen3 but the leaver connects the micro switch instead of a button on the dash, the lever is there for the more classic/ retro look :)

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds