BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:Recommended suspension kit 2" for New Jimny?

More
04 Apr 2020 18:43 - 04 Apr 2020 18:51 #220696 by DAGZOOK
BHP it's definitely becoming clearer now - your explanations are awesome. Thanks for taking the time to teach us all a thing or two B)

So although the Storm Customs Jimny looks great flexing off-road it's suspension travel isn't too dissimilar to the stock Jimny (Depends on the amount of shock extension) it's just sitting higher off the ground so looks awesome?

Has anyone found any specs with regard to how much longer the OME shocks are in comparison to the other brands? So far we've gathered the following:

OEM:

Front: unknown
Rear: unknown

Bilstein:

Front: +20mm
Rear: +20mm

Trailmaster:

Front: +25mm (limited due to front crossmember + additional bump stops required due to longer than OEM compressed length)
Rear: +50mm
Last edit: 04 Apr 2020 18:51 by DAGZOOK.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Apr 2020 21:02 #220706 by 300bhpton
I spoke to Jimnybits about the Black Raptor kit and they told me the front shocks are +2”. Assume the same with the rear.

For me it is definitely the kit I’ll be getting. Although I do like the look of the OME one also.

You can see from the vids and pics that the OME does flex better than stock. The damping and spring rates plus the small increase in travel will make it better off road. The low lift also appeals. But I will still be getting the Raptor kit.

To be fair, while I’ve been harsh on the Jilnystyle one. It will probably not be that dissimilar from the OME in performance. But I don’t like their marketing or the prices. This goes for some of the other stuff they sell. It all seems over priced and all for show rather than actual use.

More
05 Apr 2020 13:30 #220717 by DAGZOOK

300bhpton wrote: I spoke to Jimnybits about the Black Raptor kit and they told me the front shocks are +2”. Assume the same with the rear.

For me it is definitely the kit I’ll be getting. Although I do like the look of the OME one also.

You can see from the vids and pics that the OME does flex better than stock. The damping and spring rates plus the small increase in travel will make it better off road. The low lift also appeals. But I will still be getting the Raptor kit.

To be fair, while I’ve been harsh on the Jilnystyle one. It will probably not be that dissimilar from the OME in performance. But I don’t like their marketing or the prices. This goes for some of the other stuff they sell. It all seems over priced and all for show rather than actual use.

It looks more 'flexy' but like you've sad previously - the useable travel is dictated by the shock length. Because of the huge lift its probably sitting something like 80/20 (up travel/down travel) (100 being amount/% of useable travel)

Are you looking at the premium raptor kit? being the only adjustable kit available (yet) it'd be interesting to see what audience it'll cater for. I'd imagine it'd cater for everyone road goers & off road goers. I've no personal experience of the longevity of the brand or performance when the going gets tough - other big brands tend to have large followings on YouTube etc so you can get a grasp for general opinion :)

• Grima
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Apr 2020 14:12 #220719 by Grima
As I have posted before, Premium Rapter kit for me (when I get the balls to fit it) It ticks all the boxes, I live in the UK so why pay over the odds for an Aus kit or over priced shocks from a sports car company. Rapter all the way.

More
05 Apr 2020 17:36 #220729 by 300bhpton

DAGZOOK wrote: Are you looking at the premium raptor kit? being the only adjustable kit available (yet) it'd be interesting to see what audience it'll cater for. I'd imagine it'd cater for everyone road goers & off road goers. I've no personal experience of the longevity of the brand or performance when the going gets tough - other big brands tend to have large followings on YouTube etc so you can get a grasp for general opinion :)

The brand is a little unknown to me. The shocks are made for Jimnybits apparently. And I like their other stuff.

Yes I will be getting this kit. Not entirely sure when yet. Just bought some tyres which need fitting, but guess I need to wait for normality to return to get this done. Also want to get some side rails and other bits. Then the lift. I can't promise anything, but as long as things go ok over the next few months, I will be planning to get the kit over the summer. Don't really want to spend the money at the moment though.

More
05 Apr 2020 17:41 #220730 by DAGZOOK
Thats understandable, I think we're all just trying to ride this out. Hopefully sooner rather than later. I'm looking at some underbody protection from Jimnybits at the moment; Lower Rear shock guards, Transfer case guard, radius arm guards :whistle:

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
05 Apr 2020 17:44 #220731 by Lambert
Yes their adjustable ones are rebranded avo so nice quality. I don't know for certain what they use for the none adjustable ones but suspect they are also avo.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
05 Apr 2020 17:47 #220732 by jackonlyjack
AVO make the raptor shocks
Just no paint on the body and sticker for jimnybits

Time to create page: 0.153 seconds