BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:Recommended suspension kit 2" for New Jimny?

More
03 Apr 2020 16:10 #220634 by Soeley
This has been a very interesting read, thanks to the OP for opening the debate, and everyone else that has contributed. another thread shortcut-ted to easily find for future reference.
The following user(s) said Thank You: DAGZOOK

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Apr 2020 19:31 #220652 by Busta
DAGZOOK, I would take the words of anyone who describes fitting brake lines as a "joy" with a pinch of salt :laugh: Sounds like they are doing the detail though!

It's interesting to hear claims of a longer shock with the same compressed length. I wonder where that extra 20mm of shaft goes? Or do the standard shocks not make full use of the available length? Either way, it seems like they could be used to gain some down travel even with standard springs.

I measured some old standard gen3 shocks today.
Measuring centre to base of threads on the fronts: 283 compressed, 403 extended, 120mm travel.
Measuring centre to centre on the rear: 302 compressed, 458 extended, 156mm travel.

More
03 Apr 2020 20:03 #220656 by DAGZOOK

Busta wrote: DAGZOOK, I would take the words of anyone who describes fitting brake lines as a "joy" with a pinch of salt :laugh: Sounds like they are doing the detail though!

It's interesting to hear claims of a longer shock with the same compressed length. I wonder where that extra 20mm of shaft goes? Or do the standard shocks not make full use of the available length? Either way, it seems like they could be used to gain some down travel even with standard springs.

I measured some old standard gen3 shocks today.
Measuring centre to base of threads on the fronts: 283 compressed, 403 extended, 120mm travel.
Measuring centre to centre on the rear: 302 compressed, 458 extended, 156mm travel.

Busta, humour me here.. If an aftermarket shock had a compressed length that was smaller than the OEM equivalent, the factory bump stop would prevent the shock from ever bottoming out? additional bump stops are then only required if the compressed length of an aftermarket shock is greater than the OEM equivalent, because your shock would bottom out before the bump stop engaged (das ist kaput) ? :woohoo:

Praise the lord for this forum - this damn virus is making me loose my mind!

More
03 Apr 2020 20:11 #220658 by DAGZOOK

This guy is fitting a 'Gabriel' 2" lift kit to a gen.3 - his rear shocks are longer than OEM but have the same compressed length. Skip to 20.53 :whistle:

More
03 Apr 2020 20:22 #220659 by Busta

DAGZOOK wrote: Busta, humour me here.. If an aftermarket shock had a compressed length that was smaller than the OEM equivalent, the factory bump stop would prevent the shock from ever bottoming out? additional bump stops are then only required if the compressed length of an aftermarket shock is greater than the OEM equivalent, because your shock would bottom out before the bump stop engaged (das ist kaput) ? :woohoo:

Praise the lord for this forum - this damn virus is making me loose my mind!

Correct, yes. So given trailmaster are providing extended bump stops, their shocks must be longer when compressed than standard. Which is what you would typically expect from a longer shock.

More
03 Apr 2020 20:28 #220660 by Busta

DAGZOOK wrote: This guy is fitting a 'Gabriel' 2" lift kit to a gen.3 - his rear shocks are longer than OEM but have the same compressed length. Skip to 20.53 :whistle:

That's really interesting. Thanks! I've always liked the idea of a close-to-standard height lift kit that uses longer but softer springs to give a soft ride and more flex, but assumed I'd need to sacrifice some up-travel to gain down travel. That proves otherwise. I just need some custom wound springs now then!

More
03 Apr 2020 22:42 #220666 by 300bhpton
have tried to test the kit in as many environments as possible, from motorways to green lanes and everything in between.

lol, not picking holes, just made me laugh. Surely everything between a green lane and a motorway is just a normal road..... :lol:

More
04 Apr 2020 08:30 #220672 by DAGZOOK
Yeah you're right! they're all going to give it the salesman pitch aren't they? all comes down to brand trust I guess - I find it hard to believe that these big firms like Bilstein/OME/Tough Dog and their R&D teams would produce total s**t. In terms of brand reputation, Bilstein have got a lot more to lose because they cater for everything from high profile motorsport to rock bashing.

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Apr 2020 15:18 #220681 by Andy2640
Check this website and customs fitting shop. They sell some lovely gear and sell the EMU shock sets and offer a set for a standard weight jimny and a heavy weight jimny. Its all explained very well.

Take a butchers and let me know your thoughts. They call it a 2.5 inch lift.

stormcustoms.com/search/?filter=vehicle:suzuki

More
04 Apr 2020 15:38 #220682 by DAGZOOK

Andy2640 wrote: Check this website and customs fitting shop. They sell some lovely gear and sell the EMU shock sets and offer a set for a standard weight jimny and a heavy weight jimny. Its all explained very well.

Take a butchers and let me know your thoughts. They call it a 2.5 inch lift.

stormcustoms.com/search/?filter=vehicle:suzuki

Hey Andy! As far as OME kits for the gen.4 go, this supplier seems to have really pulled the stops out. Thats a really comprehensive kit (all be it with a steep price tag), only thing missing is a set of Goodridge extended brake hoses which would 100% be required, they even hint this themselves. I've not seen the 'LIGHT' kit advertised before only the medium & heavy. This would be applicable to 80% of Gen.4 owners out there who want to unleash potential but who aren't ever likely to carry 300kg+ of extra weight at any given time.

Continuing what we've talked about on this thread, the fact that they've fitted additional spring spacers to increase the 40mm lift to 60//65mm seems a bit unnecessary. I'm not sure how they've managed this without running into the aforementioned issues (front crossmember).

Very interesting indeed, exciting times ahead for Gen.4 Owners - I wonder which one of us will be the guinea pig :woohoo:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy2640

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Apr 2020 16:13 #220685 by Andy2640
Thought that might interest some of you. JordyJimny off youtube had his done there, he says the handling difference is much better on road, especially at motorway speeds. He said he hasnt tried it off road much, but from the companies website (A blue SZ5 featured) it looks amazing off road, the wheel articulation seems waaay more improved!!

On another note, ive been scanning the jimny manual, and under vehicle wright it has the manual down as 1080kg - 1095kg. Can anyone answer why there is a variation in weight? Is it taking into consideration the SZ4 vs SZ5, or is it a weight difference between production variations i.e materials, or what is it?? Bit pendantic to ask, but it does interest me that!

Also.... is GVM the vehicles absoloute maximum capacity, and what dictates this max, is it suspension, damper limits?? Or ??

Cheers me dears :) :) :)

More
04 Apr 2020 18:16 #220694 by 300bhpton

DAGZOOK wrote: I've not seen the 'LIGHT' kit advertised before only the medium & heavy.

I did mention earlier in the thread OME offer at least 3 different spring rates. It is on their .au site. Just put your vehicle details in and run their configurator. :)

DAGZOOK wrote: Continuing what we've talked about on this thread, the fact that they've fitted additional spring spacers to increase the 40mm lift to 60//65mm seems a bit unnecessary. I'm not sure how they've managed this without running into the aforementioned issues (front crossmember).

This is exactly the point I have been labouring.... :whistle:

Lift and suspension travel are not the same thing. And doing one does not directly give you more of the other.

The spring spacers they are including I assume are 20-25mm. You could fit these to your stock suspension and get a lift of 20-25mm. But obviously this won't give you any extra shock travel, nor alter how it rides or handles really. And it is nearly always the shock that ultimately limits how much suspension travel you have. As you can't have more travel than the extended shocks length.

Therefore the front cross member will only become an issue with a shock that is long enough to give extended travel beyond what OME/JimnyStyle/Trail Master are offering. The 'lift' mount has no bearing at all on this. :)

In this example. The longer OME shock is giving you more suspension travel. However if you watch the OME vid on YouTube or look at their main website. They are quite clear that they designed the kit to work with the stock length brake lines and that it doesn't need the front crossmember altering.

Therefore the extra length of the shocks is limited. And so are your suspension travel gains.

This kit (and none of the others) move the shock mounting positions, which could be another way to get more travel. So we know that even with no front spring in place, but the OME shock fitted, the front axle will not drop far enough for the prop to hit the front crossmemeber.

If you fitted stock springs, you'd still gain in suspension travel. But the vehicle would have the same ride height as a standard vehicle.

As this is also a 'lift' kit. The OME springs are probably long and/or a different spring rate. This means when sitting level the vehicle is raised from the stock ride height. But raising it will extend the shock a bit (by the amount being lifted). So again, while you have improved total suspension travel, lifting the vehicle will reduce the down travel from sitting level.

Adding the spacer has done the same thing as running an even longer spring. It has simply raised the ride height further. Which has then extended the shock further also. So has also reduced the available down travel from sitting level. Although your total travel will have remained the same as without the spacer.

As I've said earlier, it is a somewhat difficult thing to grasp. And explaining in words is actually pretty hard.

Using some fake numbers to illustrate what is happening:

As for Storm adding the spacers as well. It could be for looks, just because they could. A higher ride height will give more clearance under the vehicle off road, but it does raise the Centre of Gravity too. More lift allows bigger tyres to fit better in some cases. But ultimately you'd need to ask them why.

I wonder if they modified the headlight adjustment bracket to cater for the additional lift? If it is the OME one, then I assume it would have been calibrated for their lift height.
The following user(s) said Thank You: PabloAzH

Time to create page: 0.178 seconds