BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Making Jimny permanent all wheel drive

More
01 Feb 2020 16:41 #217930 by me101
Hi, had a look on here and can't seem to find anyone who has actually done this. My old Terios was permanent awd with a lockable centre diff. Wanting to do the same to Little Jim. Have found reference on here that a LR diff (LT230) is the option, but has anyone done it?
Thanks,

2007 Little Jim with cheap mods!
www.youtube.com/channel/UCeBDekO99Qk2aOmBmSmrI9w

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Feb 2020 17:24 #217932 by Keithy
You're contemplating what I'm about to do...Landrover transfer with lockable centre diff.

I have to make a front propshaft and an internally splined adapter.

I'm aiming to improve road traction.....you looking for the same?

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
01 Feb 2020 17:48 #217933 by Lambert
From memory isn't the lt230 only available in 1.2, 1.4 and 1.6 high range without custom gears? As in with a push button car won't the gearing from the main box and axles make it very low geared?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
01 Feb 2020 18:06 #217935 by me101
Keithy - yes, it is the road traction (wet weather) I'm after. I used to swop from road tires to my insa turbo, but got fed up with that! So looking for better day to day traction.
Lambert - is the standard 1.3 anyway (mine is a 2007), or have I made that up? So going to 1.2 I didn't think would make a massive difference.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
01 Feb 2020 18:53 #217938 by Lambert
On a 2007 it would be 1:1 and 4.3 diffs. With a 1.3 out of the earlier Jimny and no other regearing it would need a 35 inch tyre to compensate. A lt230 at 1.2 would probably run 33's without working it out. It isn't an insurmountable problem as the possibilities are there with different main boxes and diffs in combinations to get it all somewhere near what you want.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
01 Feb 2020 19:11 #217939 by me101
So it shouldn't be too much to get it close to standard? Don't need really low gearing for hard core stuff, but don't mind it dropping a little. It would just mean a bit of work to get 33's on it as it currently just has a 2" lift and 195/80/15 muds.

More
01 Feb 2020 19:42 #217941 by Keithy

me101 wrote: Keithy - yes, it is the road traction..

I'm going a different way.... Lexus IS200 gearbox and the the 1.2 tbox and 32" tyres

Gear ratio on the jimny is 1:1 in fifth and same in 5th on the Lexus too but 6th is 0.869 so with 32" tyres and the 6th gear......it'll be grand.

Jimny

Lexus

Attachments:

More
01 Feb 2020 19:54 #217944 by me101
Keithy - can you supply the propshaft / adaptor if I decide to go this route? Don't think I'll be doing the Lexus gearbox (but a 6 speed Jimny does sound appealing!)

More
01 Feb 2020 20:31 #217946 by Keithy

me101 wrote: Keithy - can you supply the propshaft / adaptor if I decide to go this route? Don't think I'll be doing the Lexus gearbox (but a 6 speed Jimny does sound appealing!)

I doubt it'd fit....it'll be for the rear flange from the Lexus......I'll see if it can have 2 pcd's.......It needs a housing too to make it a divorced transfer.

As with most of the things I make they get too expensive to make and sell at a price for the masses.....let's see how it goes.

As an example....a cam cover would be £350 to make. Cam cover near bottom of page.

More
02 Feb 2020 11:45 #217975 by Jefferies
I've been thinking about this conversion recently too so I'd be really interested to see how people approach it. There's a couple of Lada Niva remote transfer cases on eBay but they are sort of the wrong way round for a jimny as they cater for diffs that are offset towards the near side rather than the offside

More
02 Feb 2020 12:31 #217976 by me101
Keithy, I see your point. This may be a bit of a pipe dream due to expense as I have zero capability of making stuff myself. When you have completed yours, can you update? Cheers

More
03 Feb 2020 18:24 #218027 by me101
Keithy - had a look at your pics - very nice, and can see where the cost comes in. Didn't know a lexus gearbox was that cheap - I'm back to being interested!!

Time to create page: 0.154 seconds