BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

AVO, KONI, BILSTIEN or MUNROE shocks, any feedback?

More
31 Jan 2020 21:30 - 31 Jan 2020 21:31 #217912 by Scimike
I intend this summer to replace the original rear shocks on our G3 with one of the makes listed above. My preference (I have used them before) is KONI, but like the BILSTIEN they are painted a colour that makes me feel ill!
I am only happy with black as a colour, I could paint them, but that's just extra work. So that moves the AVO or budget Munroe's into the list, but I have no experience of these.

So any for or against comments on ANY of the above, have you used them and how did they last?
Are they still rust free - how is the finish lasting?
AVO if fitted do you ever use the damping adjustment or is it just something you never change again?
Are the others worth the extra cost over Munroe Adventure?

Just for clarity it's a standard G3, usually towing a caravan or loaded to the roof with camping gear, so looking to remove some of the bounce from the tired originals on the rear. I know it's subjective, but any feedback appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

Any comments good or bad appreciated.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 31 Jan 2020 21:31 by Scimike.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Jan 2020 21:56 #217914 by sniper
I run AVO's all round and think they are spot on.... I have used the brand before when racing mini's, so I trust them.

Handles like a go-cart but springs are a big thing too, I chose Eibach and again, am chuffed to bits.

I have damaged them (heavy off road stuff) and had factory rebuilds, great service.

A couple of mates run them on big lifts and are happy with them in long term use.

I have run Koni and Bilstein in the past and been happy with both brands.... (not on Jimny's)

sniper
The following user(s) said Thank You: Scimike

More
31 Jan 2020 23:57 #217917 by jackonlyjack

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
01 Feb 2020 05:12 #217920 by Lambert
I know you said you wanted black but don't let that be too much of a criteria. I have standard height trailmaster sport/heavy duty on Dreadnaught because of the towing I do on the farm and the body control offered is immense. No more pitching and rolling driven by the trailer it just follows the contour of the road as if the trailer weren't there. An additional benefit is when travelling solo and empty Dreadnaught just goes round corners pretty much flat at legal speeds which seems to upset drivers with fast cars. There's is however a downside to being set up for trailer towing and that is you really need a set of recaros to be comfortable on town roads with all the surface irregularities but that is a small price to pay.

Also once installed and before the wheel went back on 2 minutes with the compressor and waxoil gun and they are the same colour as the rest of the under side.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
02 Feb 2020 10:00 #217969 by Scimike
Thanks for the comments everyone.

The AVO,s look good but they are the most expensive and I am fairly sure once fitted I'll be too lazy to get under the vehicle to make use of the fine adjustment features.
Lambert - yep you are spot on, it's time to top up the black wax under the Jimny so they will end up black anyway.
So it's still the Koni's even though they are bright red. They appear to be slightly over engineered in construction compared to the others which I like and do offer a limited adjustment apparently.
But why did they paint them Red!
What's happening to me, I'll be painting my brake calipers red to match if I am not careful. :laugh:

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
02 Feb 2020 10:24 #217971 by Lambert
Just be careful about the bigger body damper as while they may play nicely with standard suspension they might interfere with things like guards on the axle mounts. Not all do and it's not impossible to make custom guards to accommodate bigger dampers. And some have reported interference with road springs requiring damper relocation which is not ideal.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
02 Feb 2020 13:41 - 02 Feb 2020 14:02 #217980 by Max Headroom
Someone (I forget whom) had some Monroe shocks fitted and really liked them, and gave feedback on this some time ago. (I'm sure they said the car was for road-going use mostly)

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 02 Feb 2020 14:02 by Max Headroom.

More
02 Feb 2020 20:38 #218003 by Busta
I fitted Monroe shocks. They were the cheapest available at the time. No complaints, no surprises, rides pretty nicely, works just fine on and off-road. I can't compare to anything because the standard shocks were knackered when I took them off.

More
02 Feb 2020 23:13 - 02 Feb 2020 23:14 #218009 by Scimike
Thanks Busta, that's good to know.
I guess then they are a good alternative to OEM shocks. I believe my current shocks are still in good order, maybe getting a little tired, but when the vehicle is loaded and towing you can then start to feel they are past their performance limit.
So Munroe sound perfect for standard daily use, but I think I need to try something with potentially more to offer when towing.
As you say hard to compare. Pity you can try before you buy!
Mike

Last edit: 02 Feb 2020 23:14 by Scimike.

Time to create page: 0.170 seconds