BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Another tyre suitability question (sorry!)

More
30 Jan 2020 13:43 #217847 by Mabster
Having armed myself with how to choose tyres from the tyre information section on the fantastic BigJimny Wiki, I've been trying to source affordable 205/70/R15 AT tyres, but having problems locally finding any tyre outlet that stocks anything at all. I'm told that it's an odd size and hard to find them / not stocked for my car which is a 51 plate gen3. That's pushed me out to the internet and I've found a set of Goodyear Wrangler All-Terrain Adventure 205/70/R15 100T XL M+S tyres. I am however concerned that the XL warnings given on the Wiki may make these tyres unsuitable for the Jimny, even though the size is right. Can someone educate / advise me on that choice please? Current price for x4 tyres £310 + fitting. Many thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
30 Jan 2020 14:29 #217849 by Lambert
The xl denotes the ability to carry more weight. Most if not all all terrain tyres are designed for much heavier vehicles than a Jimny. This is not a problem. All it really means is that when you lower the pressure for off road driving you don't get quite as much side wall flex for moulding the tread to obstacles but that is negligible. Also on road it means that the ride will be a little bit harder than a less substantial type and that the tyre will weigh more and require more energy to get moving and take more controlling by the suspension but again it is negligible and kinda academic as nearly all the available tyres are basically the same. Don't panic.

Have a look on Camskill for the tyres there's lots of choice from cheap and nasty to very excellent. All done mail order and virtually at wholesale prices you just need to get them fitted locally.

As to which tyres are best that is like asking whose navel is best, everyone is going to be biased towards what they have spent a load of money on.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
30 Jan 2020 14:30 #217850 by Lambert
Oh and welcome to the forum.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
30 Jan 2020 15:32 #217857 by Mabster
Thanks for the welcome, I’ve really enjoyed looking over comments, projects and insight. Very grateful for the tyre explanation and the suggestion to look at Camskill - didn’t know about it before you posted. Thanks again!

Time to create page: 0.098 seconds