BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Jimny to be cut from uk/eu market?

• JimnyJohn
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Feb 2020 19:31 #218148 by JimnyJohn
Replied by JimnyJohn on topic Jimny to be cut from uk/eu market?
I do wonder why Suzuki didn't see this fiasco coming? They had plenty of warning and time to accelerate development of a cleaner engine for the new Jimny. Perhaps they just under estimated it's success and realised a bit late in the day that they couldn't meet the strong demand while staying within their average emissions limit. But to pull the plug so soon after its introduction in the EU/UK does seem pretty incompetent.
I don't blame the EU - they are only doing what's necessary (and overdue). Manufacturers have had time to step up. It's a pity Suzuki didn't, but hopefully they'll catch up sooner rather than later.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• zebraman
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Feb 2020 19:46 #218149 by zebraman
Replied by zebraman on topic Jimny to be cut from uk/eu market?
The EU isn't it's only market. They are sold out years in Japan too.

If it relaunches with a cleaner engine no doubt it will cost over 20 grand. I bet the only trick they wished they didn't miss was pricing it so cheap.

• TillymintDLG
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Feb 2020 20:09 - 07 Feb 2020 20:11 #218150 by TillymintDLG
Replied by TillymintDLG on topic Jimny to be cut from uk/eu market?
Yes, this is surprising..You would think a major car manufacturer would have done their research on the 4WD market re demand.
5 yrs ago, I sold my 200TDi 110 which I had owned for 17yrs and did All that had to be done to it.
Big mistake..So I started looking at 2nd hand Defenders again, all the one's within my budget were rust buckets, new, galvanised chassis's have trebled in price within 15 yrs. Then, I found the Lada Niva the perfect 4x4 for what I need but everything must come from Poland/EU after the promise of importing them to the UK fell through.
Then I looked at Rav4 but it's a x over, a car with 4wd. And then I read up on the Jimny, The solution! I bought a '05 VVT and thought it was like a mini Defender! Sorted but, a lot of work to be done on it (when it gets warmer!) Enter Gen 4 and it is a mini 110 Defender, and now this news!
Iv'e taken the back seats out of mine already for this coming Summer trips to Bonny Land. I would consider the coming 'Commercial' version...I'm sure it will be a big hit with the Farming community!
TRY HARDER SUZUKI
Last edit: 07 Feb 2020 20:11 by TillymintDLG. Reason: Spelink mysteak

More
07 Feb 2020 20:40 #218151 by Fossie
Had an interesting conversation with localish Suzuki bike dealer today , it seems that Suzuki along with Yamaha and Kawasaki are cutting about 5 models from their range. Next year because of EU 6 regs .. These same machines can be sold everywhere else in the world as their emmission regs are different,
So is seems Europe is a small market in the global scheme of things so manufacturers don't need to try too hard in EU markets.

More
07 Feb 2020 23:19 #218156 by Bob1050

TillymintDLG wrote: Yes, this is surprising..You would think a major car manufacturer would have done their research on the 4WD market re demand.
5 yrs ago, I sold my 200TDi 110 which I had owned for 17yrs and did All that had to be done to it.
Big mistake..So I started looking at 2nd hand Defenders again, all the one's within my budget were rust buckets, new, galvanised chassis's have trebled in price within 15 yrs. Then, I found the Lada Niva the perfect 4x4 for what I need but everything must come from Poland/EU after the promise of importing them to the UK fell through.
Then I looked at Rav4 but it's a x over, a car with 4wd. And then I read up on the Jimny, The solution! I bought a '05 VVT and thought it was like a mini Defender! Sorted but, a lot of work to be done on it (when it gets warmer!) Enter Gen 4 and it is a mini 110 Defender, and now this news!
Iv'e taken the back seats out of mine already for this coming Summer trips to Bonny Land. I would consider the coming 'Commercial' version...I'm sure it will be a big hit with the Farming community!
TRY HARDER SUZUKI

Large business organisations are often caught out when it comes to understanding and exploiting evolving trends in the marketplace - as well as maintaining their core customers when economic conditions change. Too many of their marketing gurus seem very remote from where the action really is. The farming/agricultural community look for reliability, simplicity, ruggedness and value-for-money in a their vehicles. For a 4X4, any commercial version of a Jimny is going to be a very 'niche' offering, due to its small loading capacity and towing capabilities. Just look at what vehicles farmers are currently using and what they do with them - my 2019 G4 Jimny would really struggle if used on livestock, fencing or feedstuff duties. Where it excels however is on reliability and quality with not a single warranty claim in 12 months of ownership..

It will be interesting to see what Suzuki's next 4X4 moves are in terms of technological developments and the evolution of low carbon economies.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
08 Feb 2020 09:36 #218162 by Lambert
We are commercial breeding sheep producers on an upper lowlands farm and we have successfully campaigned Jimny in one shape or another for the best part of 14 odd years. The only really viable alternative would be a side by side which to be fair have only begun to catch up with the Jimny in the last few years in terms of occupant comfort and are yet miles away in general versatility when factoring things like tow capacity and road speed. While they can run on rebated diesel if you do you can't then go to the Asda's in one even if you could face the prospect of going that far in a side by side. Ok a side by side is marginally lighter than a Jimny so will cover wet land a little bit better but otherwise the difference between the two off road is too tight to call. Ok so a Jimny can only tow 1300kg but that's 10 shearlings in a twin axle trailer to a sale in a safe manner, which leaves the need for a heavy tow car for a big trailer but for day to day life the Jimny is more able to keep the miles off the bigger vehicle than a quad or side by side would. Does my absolute belief in the virtue of a Jimny show? :laugh:

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
08 Feb 2020 10:31 #218166 by Dan
It says here Suzuki UK aren't confirming any plans for a commercial Jimny from 2021 :

www.leasingoptions.co.uk/news/latest-new...-emissions-wall/6190

• Dorsetdumpling
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Feb 2020 21:29 #218342 by Dorsetdumpling
Replied by Dorsetdumpling on topic Jimny to be cut from uk/eu market?
Wow!, so my Gen4 is obsolete before its first service is due.

My first, and last Suzuki I think.

More
11 Feb 2020 22:57 #218348 by Bob1050

Dorsetdumpling wrote: Wow!, so my Gen4 is obsolete before its first service is due.

My first, and last Suzuki I think.

You really don't want to be seen driving around in an obsolete vehicle - maybe you should off-load it real quick? Bound to be someone who would take it off your hands if you advertise it cheap enough?

More
11 Feb 2020 23:26 #218349 by yakuza
A very few used gen 4 have found their way to Norway from Germany and they will be pretty expensive prolly more around 35000 gbp. Not sure I would risk bying as petrol is on its way out here..

When it comes to Asia and understanding EU markets we must remember there where no Japanese words for environmental protection until the mid nineties. Still Chinese sub supplier ask why? When european customers ask about less plastic or less product emissions... They are not on the same planet. Only California is more concerned on the environment.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

More
18 Feb 2020 19:47 #218719 by gilburton
Yep India is getting excited about the Jimny gen4 being available there so I suspect that is where all the RHD Jimnys will be going along with other Asian countries who drive on the left.
I think Suzuki are giving up on europe.

I started off high and worked my way down ever since :-)

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds