BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Wax coating comes off easily?

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Jan 2020 13:31 - 04 Jan 2020 13:36 #216988 by Andy2640
Wax coating comes off easily? was created by Andy2640
I jet wash the jimny every weekend. I always jet the wheel arches as they love to collect the muck.

This week though i noticed that some of the wax coating had come off. Im sure it had wax in these crevices, or perhaps it never had it in these locations after all?

Anyone else noticed this?
Attachments:
Last edit: 04 Jan 2020 13:36 by Andy2640.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
04 Jan 2020 14:30 #216990 by Lambert
The factory coating was only applied strategically. So it probably wasn't coated to start with. Remember to be gentle with the jet washing it can force water past seals and into things that don't react well to being wet.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy2640

More
06 Jan 2020 06:46 #217038 by Bosanek
Intolerance to strong water jets and strong detergents is a typical characteristic of wax coatings. That is their main weakness. Therefore, wax coatings are best suited for cavities and other surfaces where there is no risk of abrasion, strong chemical contact or strong water jets.

There are special underbody wax products (a much thicker and stronger type of wax, sometimes even mixed with bitumen) which have much better resistance, but still not nearly close to being impervious to the effects mentioned above.

An example of such a product is Car System KS-800.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
06 Jan 2020 07:14 #217040 by Lambert
Oh and Andy the coating you picture is actually applied under the colour coat so the fact it is all blue means nothing has come off. Yet.

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jan 2020 09:54 #217043 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Wax coating comes off easily?

Bosanek wrote: Intolerance to strong water jets and strong detergents is a typical characteristic of wax coatings. That is their main weakness. Therefore, wax coatings are best suited for cavities and other surfaces where there is no risk of abrasion, strong chemical contact or strong water jets.

There are special underbody wax products (a much thicker and stronger type of wax, sometimes even mixed with bitumen) which have much better resistance, but still not nearly close to being impervious to the effects mentioned above.

An example of such a product is Car System KS-800.

You guys really know your stuff, which is excellent as a jimby noobie like me. The forum is a gold mine of knowledge, so thanks to you all.

Yes your spot on, because ive only just realised what ive been doing.

When i use snow foam on the bodywork, ive also been foaming the wheel arches, so that makes perfect sense. God damn it!!

We live n learn. Some slower than others :pinch: :whistle:

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jan 2020 09:59 #217044 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Wax coating comes off easily?
Im not sure ya know lambert me ol mate, cus some of the wax is half hanging off now, and there is blue under that too.

I'll go have another looksie on me dinn dins break.

Thanks Lambert. Missed ya so i have.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
06 Jan 2020 10:36 #217045 by Lambert
You didn't bother with an aftermarket treatment did you? In which case the crinkle finish is the factory under seal which is I believe not a wax based product but some kind of proprietary polymer base and is relatively durable compared to waxes. Dreadnaught has 95 plus percent left after 9 years but I don't jet the under side very often and it is also annually waxed. What I'm saying is it shouldn't be compromised at less than a year old even with repeated washing.

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Jan 2020 10:42 #217046 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Wax coating comes off easily?
Hi Andy,
Jet washing every week? Perhaps a bit of wash 'n' wax and the garden hose now and again. There used to be an argument for not keeping a car too clean. A bit of waxy stuff left on top and road film ( a mixture of road tar, diesel and tyre rubber) underneath is no bad thing. If you live in a high salt aera forget all this.
Chris

• Lambert
    Registered
More
06 Jan 2020 10:55 #217047 by Lambert
I would second that. You can wash too often and then the effectiveness is questionable unless you have it up on high ramps and can get to every nook and cranny with the hose pipe and even then there are still plenty of muck traps that are virtually impossible to get really clean.

More
07 Jan 2020 08:24 - 07 Jan 2020 08:25 #217076 by Bosanek
The factory anti stone chip coating (which has a textured finish) is some kind of synthetic rubber-like polymer which is quite durable and resillient against abrasion and chemicals. That coating can not be removed with power washing and detergents, unless you blast it continuously from point blank range with a power jet washer.

I power wash the underside of my car quite often and even more often during winter because of the road salt.

I have spent a lot of time this year to determine which type of underbody coating has the least weaknesses, and have not yet come to a definite conclusion. I have however conclusively determined that all bitumen or tar based coatings are a big NO for multiple reasons, and that waxes are great except for the before mentioned weaknesses.

For the time being, I coated the less exposed areas of the underbody (where there is only a small chance of those areas being sprayed or abraded directly with anything) with an underbody wax (not a cavity wax), which is thicker and more resistant to being washed off than a cavity wax (but has a lot worse creep characteristics). I have yet to determine with what to treat the exposed ("impact") areas.

Super hard polyurethane bed liner coatings like Upol Raptor are becoming increasingly popular for underbody protection, but I am not yet convinced. First, they are quite expensive, and second, they are very hard and relatively brittle (compared to other types of underbody coatings), which could cause them to crack upon stone impacts.
Last edit: 07 Jan 2020 08:25 by Bosanek.

Time to create page: 0.145 seconds