BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Gen4 towing a caravan

More
20 Dec 2019 17:34 #216636 by Foxtrot
Unfortunately this video is in German, however it shows a review of the Gen4 Jimmy dragging a lightweight caravan. It would be great to know if they think it can tow it ok...:)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Dec 2019 17:49 #216638 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Gen4 towing a caravan
I've been using Gen3s for towing for 6 years now. They are good little tow cars as long as you respect the towing capacities. A gen 4 should have no problem with a caravan but you have to consider that they are a small vehicle with a short wheelbase so better suited to small caravans, regardless of the weight. Also when you take a low powered vehicle and attach a trailer to it progress can at times be slow, but that doesn't mean it can't do it!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Foxtrot

More
20 Dec 2019 18:04 #216640 by Foxtrot
Replied by Foxtrot on topic Gen4 towing a caravan

Busta wrote: I've been using Gen3s for towing for 6 years now. They are good little tow cars as long as you respect the towing capacities. A gen 4 should have no problem with a caravan but you have to consider that they are a small vehicle with a short wheelbase so better suited to small caravans, regardless of the weight. Also when you take a low powered vehicle and attach a trailer to it progress can at times be slow, but that doesn't mean it can't do it!

Yes your right with your towing observations, I have a small lightweight caravan weighing 900kg .My previous Gen3 struggled a bit on hills and pulling out at junctions. I would assume the Gen4 is a lot better as it has more torque and delivered at lower revs.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
21 Dec 2019 03:27 #216652 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Gen4 towing a caravan
Agreed. If my gen3 is capable of towing a 1300kg twin axle sheep trailer with a load that has a habit of moving, which it has frequently for the last 9 years without any demonstrable problem except being a tad slow, then the gen4 with it's better power and torque distribution has to be as good for starters and hopefully noticeably better.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
21 Dec 2019 15:04 #216673 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Gen4 towing a caravan
My old Jimmy had a Liana engine in it and that definitely helped getting up to speed. Now looking to do the same to my current one.

More
21 Dec 2019 18:01 #216681 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Gen4 towing a caravan
I've got a little 650kg caravan to tow, but as the towbar took until November to arrive, it will be next year before I try towing it.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
22 Dec 2019 21:28 #216716 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Gen4 towing a caravan
I'm not 100% sure of the Gen 4's tow rating, I think it is around 1300kg when I was looking for it.

This should allow many caravans to be towed legally in the UK. And ironically if you took your driving test after 1997 and haven't done your trailer test, you can tow a heavier weight with a Jimny than you can with a Defender legally...

Time to create page: 0.135 seconds