BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

! FIRE !

• Max Headroom
  • Max Headroom's Avatar Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • OPEN AIR MOTORING... 93 MILLION MILES OF HEADROOM
More
09 Nov 2019 13:19 - 09 Nov 2019 13:26 #215510 by Max Headroom
! FIRE ! was created by Max Headroom
I was at the NEC Classic car show yesterday and although I went with a few friends I bumped into a couple of petrolhead friends from work, one of whom is actually on my shift! (Small world etc!)

Just as I was leaving the show I bumped into my shift-colleague again and he showed me a fire esxtinguisher that he had bought.
Unlike a bulky and heavy bottled fire extinguishant, these are mere sticks. I was open minded about his purchase until I started looking at a few videos today.
Theyre good for all classes of fire - liquid electric solid etc

Due to their diminutive size, they would ideal for the Jimny as they take up minimal space.
Once triggered, they run for a lot longer than a standard bottle type fire-extinguisher too, (available in 25 sec, 50 sec and 100 second variants)
Above all they DO NOT do any damage to the car and unlike Halon or BCF are not toxic. There isn't even any shelf-life!

I'm actually very impressed - the beauty of it is that its so small - ideal to tuck away discreetly in your classic/vintage car or Jimny
Here's a link

FIRE SAFETY STICK

And some videos...

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 09 Nov 2019 13:26 by Max Headroom.
The following user(s) said Thank You: facade, Keithy, Lambert, Scimike, Fossie

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
09 Nov 2019 13:50 #215512 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic ! FIRE !
Very interesting. Thanks for sharing. Difference between a bit of an inconvenience and a ruined day.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
09 Nov 2019 14:28 #215513 by Fossie
Replied by Fossie on topic ! FIRE !
As somoene who goes to France a lot and must carry an extinguisher by law ..which is now out of date and in the boot, this is far more convienient .interesting.

• Max Headroom
  • Max Headroom's Avatar Topic Author
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • OPEN AIR MOTORING... 93 MILLION MILES OF HEADROOM
More
09 Nov 2019 18:10 - 09 Nov 2019 18:12 #215518 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic ! FIRE !
The guy that bought one of these, had a bad workshop incident and almost set fire to his concours 1970s Porsche 911... And himself.

(He learned that If emptying a petrol tank with an electric-pump powered by a car battery, that it's not a good idea to disconnect the crocodile clip from the battery in a vapour rich environment!
He was a very lucky boy that day - a friend was very quick with a nearby fire extinguisher - which is why he needed a new one)

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 09 Nov 2019 18:12 by Max Headroom.

More
09 Nov 2019 19:40 #215523 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic ! FIRE !
Interesting item, thanks for posting.
Going to the show tomorrow, maybe I can take a closer look at one. Could be good in my tin snail.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
09 Nov 2019 20:31 #215524 by facade
Replied by facade on topic ! FIRE !
Thanks for posting, I'd not seen these.

The chemistry is interesting, you'd have thought potassium nitrate would have supplied oxygen like in gunpowder, but it turns out there is a chemical reaction that actually interferes with the flame.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Condensed_aerosol_fire_suppression

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

Time to create page: 0.101 seconds