BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

I'm confused! Which jimny?

• Jimnycrickets
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Oct 2019 18:46 #214911 by Jimnycrickets
I'm confused! Which jimny? was created by Jimnycrickets
Hi all, I'm new to the forum and have been reading through as much as possible So as to make the right choice when it comes to buying a jimny in the next couple months. I initially was looking at an older soft top 2000/2001 (for the lower tax bracket) as I had so much fun driving my nephew's samurai recently. But having read about the faff with the back door and poppers and security issues it sort of puts me off so am now looking at hard tops. But if I can't get a 2000/2001 am I still safe to get one up to 2005? Is it all still the same engine, gear box, and stick 4wd selection? And also am I right in having to look at just the jlx model? I was thinking of visiting Cotswold jimnys to test drive and pick their brains but have read on here they are a bit........not nice? Any tips on which model to look at will be greatly appreciated. (I do have a limited budget by the way and doubt I could really stretch to anything past an 05 plate anyway.)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Oct 2019 08:31 #214927 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic I'm confused! Which jimny?
Hello and Welcome.
Things may be a little quiet on the forum this weekend due to the Jimny meet, so I will just get the ball rolling by saying hello and passing on my "limited" knowledge, experts will be along shortly.

So the Generation 3 Jimny came in two forms, Japan built hardtops and Spanish built soft tops. Both were originally equipped with the G13BB engine and manual 4x4 selection. This engine was replaced in Japan with the introduction of the newly designed VVT 16-valve M-engine, circa 2000, but the older engine continued in Spanish-built softtops until about 2005.
So between 2000 and 2005 it a hardtop is likely to be a M VVT engine, but I am aware of vehicles not fully conforming to these dates.
You can look at the engine to confirm, it's easy to see a bump in the front of the valve cover that contains the VVT part, and absence on the G13BB.
As to the Transfer case and gearbox I believe at the about 2005 the transfer case selection went Push button (no more lever) and a revised gearbox was introduced, this package used until the end of GEN3 production.
All types have vacuum operated front hubs when 4x4 is engaged.

Both engine types are reliable, but are not invincible to neglect or the odd fault.
Both transfer boxes are reliable, but the exposed wires on the Push button type can get damaged if you don't fit a transfer case guard and you off-road.
The revised gearbox is considered less reliable than the first generation due to possible failure of a bearing, this was replaced by a sealed type bearing after 2009. Not sure how wide spread the problem is or why it fails, but it's a possibility.
The Vacuum hub system can fail, usually through rust on the vacuum pipes or grease hardening with age (or lack of use). Most don't bother to fix, fitting manual hubs instead.

Even after I have said the above for the most part any version of a Jimny is a reliable vehicle. Mines great and I am still waiting for the possible Hub or gearbox fault on my 2009,

The biggest problem on any Jimny is RUST!!!!!!
You can find perfect and rot boxes of any age, so rust protection varied from vehicle to vehicle, also influenced by use and owner. So have a good look at the usual rust spots for holes or repairs.
Hope this helps and sorry if the dates aren't 100% accurate.

Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Jimnycrickets

• Owl
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Oct 2019 09:28 #214929 by Owl
Replied by Owl on topic I'm confused! Which jimny?
As long as it runs well and hasn't too many kms clocked up sounds good. Im of the opinion if its mechanically sound and not rusting away, its good to go, haggle the price down. I have a 1999 Jimny , it has the early G13BB engine which is single over head cam, very simple car to work on and drive. In 2000, The crossover to the 16 valve double cam with variable valve timing gave it a perfomance lift which is good and remained a good engine so they say.

The years 1999 to 2005 make it an old vehicle. I would suggest if its had a reconditioned or other replacement engine at some point that would be good as i cant imagine an 18 year old Jimny having a top shelf engine unless you find a low mileage one that wasn't driven much.

I basically got my Jimny for the price of a new battery, and have been into the mechanical reconditioning, engine and gearbox etc.. Im still spending on mine, now its a cooling system service, hoses, radiator and fan clutch.

More
19 Oct 2019 11:27 - 19 Oct 2019 11:28 #214931 by Max Headroom
A BigJimny Welcome from the Cotswold Hills!

The faff with the back door and poppers is not going to be an issue unless you know you are constantly going to be needing to open it.
If I need to access the boot area I invariably climb in onto the back seats from the drivers or passenger side and access the boot area easily from there. Its not often I undoo the poppers and open the tailgate door

Cotswold Jimny's are just up the road from me at Blockley - they seem to have their own agenda and are not very receptive if you are looking for a convertible; they have a dim, almost 'anti'view of them - this attitude does not seem to correspond with the hands-on experience of open-topped owners in this forum, including t myself and the experience of my brother's ownership of a convertible variant for many years.
Other than my personal experience of their narrow minded views when discussing open-topped Jimnys when I was looking to buy one, I have no other dealings with them and I'm not aware wether or not their after-sales or engineering is well-regarded or not.

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 19 Oct 2019 11:28 by Max Headroom.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
19 Oct 2019 13:55 #214932 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic I'm confused! Which jimny?
Have you had a look in the wiki about buying a Jimny? Link: www.bigjimny.com/mediawiki/index.php?title=Buying_a_Jimny

1999-2001 ish hard tops will usually be the G13 engine and stick transfer.
2001-2005 ish hard tops will usually be the M13 (non VVT) engine and stick transfer.
2005~ on hard tops will all be M13 VVT and have the push-button 4x4.

The G series has the occasional report of head gaskets, but that is rare considering how many were made. Not a bad engine overall.

The M series is chain driven (rather than timing belt in G series) and has a little more power. No real problems with them. The VVT is likewise except the R72 gearbox normally found on a VVT can be troublesome (2005-2009 models).

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• Jimnycrickets
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Oct 2019 17:59 #214934 by Jimnycrickets
Replied by Jimnycrickets on topic I'm confused! Which jimny?
Thanks just what I needed. Having just looked at the wiki link, it says that to buy a jimny in the spring, but does that apply to soft tops too? I thought maybe it would be cheaper to get one of those in the winter?

More
19 Oct 2019 18:19 - 19 Oct 2019 18:25 #214935 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic I'm confused! Which jimny?
Jimny's tend to be expensive for what they are, or another way of looking at it is they hold their value well. This is just my opinion on secondhand values with reference to my own spending power. Not sure these days with climate change and the 1 day of snow we get that winter will actually make any real difference to the asking price, it does make it difficult to get underneath and inspect for rust, so if anything this the reason to purchase in summer.
Soft tops tend to be harder to find in my experience, so more choices about in hard top. That said you are going to have to travel as both types tend to be scarce in the second hand market, and now ironically, also in the new market.
Hope you find a nice one.
Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 19 Oct 2019 18:25 by Scimike.

• Jimnycrickets
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Oct 2019 18:37 #214936 by Jimnycrickets
Thanks Mike. I was expecting to have to travel as I haven't seen many around the Dudley area. But in the mean time I shall continue to do my research on here and save my pennies.

More
20 Oct 2019 06:07 - 20 Oct 2019 06:08 #214942 by Max Headroom
I partially understand the market value of convertibles being enhanced in the spring by the prospect of a forthcoming summer, but to be honest in all my years of owning convertible cars I don't think the values change all that much.

I do however, feel it makes it make it slightly "easier" to sell a convertible in spring with summer around the corner, and there may be more on the market in the autumnal months as the fair-weather drivers give them up for the confines of a tin-top but this really only theoretical with a bit of experience thrown in.

I'm speaking generally here; about all convertibles and not just about Jimnys

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 20 Oct 2019 06:08 by Max Headroom.

• Jimnycrickets
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Oct 2019 15:36 #214951 by Jimnycrickets
Thanks Max. I appreciate your advice with this as you have owned one for so many years. I'm going to try and get one pre 2001 if possible to take advantage of the lower tax bracket.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
20 Oct 2019 17:01 #214960 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic I'm confused! Which jimny?
Just be careful that what you save on road tax doesn't get eaten up in repairs to a 20 year old car.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Jimnycrickets
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Oct 2019 19:21 #214973 by Jimnycrickets
Thanks. Yeah I guess? But I would be surprised if I could get one that age anyway. From what I've been reading on here they are all prone to have rust anyway whatever age? But my budget probably will only stretch to an 05 plate and I certainly couldn't stretch to anything post 09 which I believe to have the better gearbox?.

Time to create page: 0.156 seconds