BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:Re:Second battery

• Mole
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Oct 2019 07:31 #214885 by Mole
Second battery was created by Mole
If I were to add a second battery is it just a case of wiring them in parallel and the alternator will charge both or do I need a split charging system?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Oct 2019 07:39 - 18 Oct 2019 07:40 #214886 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Second battery
In very basic terms yes, you could just parallel them up.

In practice to do this you really should have identical batteries, same make, model and age.

For unbalanced batteries (e.g a starter battery and a deep cycle winch battery) then a split charger is best.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses
Last edit: 18 Oct 2019 07:40 by mlines.

• Mole
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Oct 2019 08:02 #214887 by Mole
Replied by Mole on topic Re:Second battery
Excellent thanks. With a split charging system how dose that work presumably I woundnt have a switch on the dash to switch between the two when it's charged. I have a winch and am just worried about cooking it or wearing it out if and when used

More
18 Oct 2019 08:14 #214888 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:Second battery
Again, a simple split charge relay "just works" so you could simply put it in.

It charges the "first" battery and then when the voltage is about correct it switches over to the other. It is often called a VSR (Voltage Switching Relay), particularly if you are seeking a heavy duty one.

However, you are right, under certain discharge situations, unwanted levels of current can be drawn through it. Therefore I have wired in a switch on the dashboard so I can isolate it totally when necessary. I have a three way switch that does the following:

1. Isolate: disconnect relay altogether
2. Auto: normal operation
3. Force join: Joins the batteries together so you can "jump start" your own car

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• Mole
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Oct 2019 08:52 #214890 by Mole
Replied by Mole on topic Re:Second battery
That's really helpful thank you

More
18 Oct 2019 09:48 #214893 by RainerK
Replied by RainerK on topic Second battery
Regarding a second battery, the main question is what you want if for.

1) For winching: then both batteries parallel, 35mm2 wires, no battery isolators or combiners, just fuses close to the batteries in the range of 350A or whatever the winch requires. I know many off roaders that do not have fuses because the fuses tend to blow exactly when the situation is the hairiest. In this setup ist is advantageous if both batteries are similar, but I often saw setups with different batteries that also work and the „swing“ currents are usually no issue for two batteries.

2) As a consumer battery: So that you ca run your fridge over night and still start in the morning. You need a battery combiner that switches bot batteries in parallel as soon as the voltage of the starter battery is high enough and separates the batteries if the motor is off and consumers draw power from the consumer battery. I recently bought a Cyrix-Li-ct for this purpose. The wires can be smaller, maybe 10mm2 and a fuse close to the consumer battery of maybe 50A.

• Mole
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
18 Oct 2019 11:49 #214897 by Mole
Replied by Mole on topic Second battery
Purely for the winching really I don't run fridges and things like it was just a thought to take some of the load of a single battery in my case and for want I want its probably easyer to go the basic route I would have thought

More
21 Oct 2019 08:18 #214988 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Second battery
Did you ask this question on a Facebook page or was that someone else I replied to?

See my thread from my signature to see my one big Numax battery set up in a Jimny Bits tray.

I've used one big Numax for 8 years on one battery with it being left 10 days at a time between use, sometimes longer and a winch challenge and it has only gone flat when it finally died after 8 years.

So that's my suggested way to go.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Mole
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
21 Oct 2019 09:07 #214997 by Mole
Replied by Mole on topic Second battery
No wasn't me but thanks for that that's really helpful

Time to create page: 0.128 seconds