BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Jimny 4 - long wheel base with 5 doors - any prospect?

More
08 Oct 2019 12:08 - 08 Oct 2019 12:14 #214470 by Bosanek
Does anyone know if there are any plans by Suzuki to produce a long wheel base edition of Jimny 4, preferably with 5 doors instead of 3?

Suzuki used to produce the Jimny 3 (Samurai) in the LWB edition, although still with 3 doors only.

I think that an LWB edition would be significantly more useful vehicle, much more value for money, and the only relatively cheap proper 5-door all terrain vehicle on the market in existence.
Last edit: 08 Oct 2019 12:14 by Bosanek.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Oct 2019 13:10 #214472 by mlines
Yes and No.

Next year Suzuki-Maruti will be starting production of the Gen4 for the Indian market. This will not be marketed outside of the continent and will be available in a minimal specification version (SZ1, SZ2?). Maruti are big in supplying to the Indian Army and Police, you will see lots of SJs in use (they are still in production) and these include Hi-Top and Long Wheelbase variants. Maruti has already released concept pictures of a LWB Gen4 and they will certainly not miss out on an opportunity to supply to the Indian Government,

So will there be one - yes, in India, will anywhere else get it, almost certainly not.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
09 Oct 2019 07:02 #214498 by Bosanek
Any ideas on how to campaign or lobby towards Suzuki to introduce the LWB edition to the worldwide market?

I really see no reason why Suzuki would not introduce LWB edition on their own, unless they lack the production capacity to fulfill the market demand even for the current SWB edition.
Even in that case, a public campaign would show them the scale of the market demand, which would help to justify the investment in the LWB edition in the near future.

I have always been puzzled why haven't they introduced the LWB edition of Jimny 3 during its 20 year production lifespan. Even Avtovaz decided to introduce LWB edition of Lada Niva more than 20 years since the initial production of the SWB edition, and the LWB edition has proved to be quite popular among business buyers and a much more useful vehicle than the SWB edition.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
09 Oct 2019 07:11 #214500 by Lambert
To be honest I hope they don't do a 5 door in my opinion it would ruin the whole aesthetic of the car much like the 5 door G class looks uncomfortable with itself. Not for me I'm sorry.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
09 Oct 2019 07:19 #214501 by mlines
I think it is lack of demand, they know the market demand and have the Vitara in that position.

In India there is a military and police demand so it is worth looking at but elsewhere it is not. If they could see a demand you can be assured they would be building one.

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
09 Oct 2019 07:42 #214503 by Gadget

Lambert wrote: To be honest I hope they don't do a 5 door in my opinion it would ruin the whole aesthetic of the car much like the 5 door G class looks uncomfortable with itself. Not for me I'm sorry.

Same here. A 5 door would be far more practical for me, but it goes against the whole concept of the Jimny and would just look wrong.

More
10 Oct 2019 21:50 #214585 by Max Headroom
I'd really love to see a convertible variant but they'd have to think up a better way of fitting the weather equipment than the previous version.
....Not to mention use better materials and fasteners :dry:

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

More
10 Oct 2019 22:33 #214589 by Bob1050

Lambert wrote: To be honest I hope they don't do a 5 door in my opinion it would ruin the whole aesthetic of the car much like the 5 door G class looks uncomfortable with itself. Not for me I'm sorry.

I'm on your side with that thinking - it's big enough for the current engine and the aesthetics of a stretched body don't appeal..
Unless they offer opening rear footwells and additional pedals and chain drive for the rear seat passengers to assist propulsion on steep hills?

More
15 Nov 2019 08:58 #215644 by Bosanek
I don't see how the presence (offer) of a 5-door LWB edition spoils the still present 3-door SWB edition. The SWB certainly would not cease production if LWB was introduced.

Actually I met a lot of people in my Jimny who asked me if the vehicle exists in LWB edition, as they would like to have one. Many were quite disappointed when they learned that LWB does not exist.

LWB Jimny would not be any more of a spoil of the vehicle concept than an LWB Vitara, Frontera, Pajero, Terrano etc. is.
Some people consider cabrio 4WD vehicles a spoil of the concept as well.
It's all according to the needs of a buyer.

I attached a picture of a custom-made LWB Jimny 3 allegedly from Indonesia.
Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.172 seconds