BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Soft Top Jimneys

• Stewarthunt1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Oct 2019 19:27 #214137 by Stewarthunt1
Replied by Stewarthunt1 on topic Soft Top Jimneys
Well thats done it for me. I'm getting one thanks all.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Oct 2019 19:30 #214138 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Soft Top Jimneys
I know Yarnton - I had a girlfriend there for a short time! She was my optician!
It was also a shortcut to the A34 and M40 when the traffic on the A40 choked up on my way to work in Middlesex - I used to turn left at Cassington if it was looking bad.

No I dont go off-road much - this is my daily driver and I dont want to risk it - I have household bills to pay! Thats not to say I haven't gone off road with it, but only very gently.
I'd like to find some non-scratchy or potentially damaging lanes or trails to drive along but they seem rather non-existant around here.
I've really got it for safely negotiating snowy roads at 3am in winter when I finish night shifts - I like my bed! I find it really fun to drive and relatively simple to work on.

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stewarthunt1

More
01 Oct 2019 19:53 - 01 Oct 2019 19:54 #214139 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Soft Top Jimneys
The Jimny is a bit like Marmite, you will love it to bits or hate it with a passion. They drive different to a "normal" road going car, but actually have very good road going manners for a solid axle 4x4. Off road or in the snow they are a very capable vehicle.
I only mention this just in case you have never been in a solid axle 4x4, if not it may be worth a test drive in one from the soft top hating garage :laugh:
If you leave with a big grin on your face find a Jimny as quick as you can, if you think it's slow and wobbles a lot then maybe its not for you.

I use mine like Max, it's a daily drive so can't afford it to be damaged off road. I have used it in some impressive snow conditions, even with summer road tyres fitted it has never failed to get us home. They are great fun and very easy to maintain yourself, not something that can be said of the majority of modern vehicles.

Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 01 Oct 2019 19:54 by Scimike.

• Stewarthunt1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Oct 2019 20:20 - 02 Oct 2019 04:32 #214144 by Stewarthunt1
Replied by Stewarthunt1 on topic Soft Top Jimneys
My Friend had a 2000 model that she attempted to teach me to drive in. Bouncy and fun from what I can remember. I'm definitely not looking for day to day on road refinement. I'm happy with a reliable get you out the mire in the winter if required open top Sun fun in the Summer.
Last edit: 02 Oct 2019 04:32 by Lambert. Reason: Swearing. Please remember this is a family friendly forum.

More
01 Oct 2019 21:36 - 01 Oct 2019 21:46 #214147 by Max Headroom
Stewart

Scimike hit the nail on the head - they aren't comfortable independant-suspension limousines - they are slow; noisy; bouncy; slightly wobbly; and need to be treated with a small amount of respect to keep you out of an unintended excursion into the scenery, but my goodness they are serious fun!
I seriously do enjoy it. Like any other classic car, many other passing Jimny drivers will wave - as they pass - the Jimny has clearly become a classic in its own time.

With the targa roof open they are downright draughty and noisy - I wear a baseball cap to keep my wig attached - even my MG Midget isn't as draughty as this!
In blazing hot weather I'll lower the rear hood. Last summer it stayed lowered even when parked up at night,
This year with the fastback hood fitted, Ive found it far less of a faff to lower/raise than the standard hood so it's been up and down like a yo-yo in the slightly more changeable weather of this summer. B)

I considered the Jimny when I changed my job and didnt need to do long motorway runs.
At the time, I was running a large diesel-engined SAAB 93 convertible - a very beautiful and understated car that went like snot-off-a-stick and was as comfy as you can get (SAAB seats are highly sought after for the likes of camper vans),
But I couldnt justify its expensive servicings and size after I changed my job to one much nearer home. Sadly I said goodbye the SAAB but remain a moderator on SAABtechtalk forums and keep in touch with the guys there from time to time.
I miss the gorgeous deep comfortable heated-seats and the draught free open-air motoring during the winter months, the powerful torque and effortless cruising. The Jimny is none of any of that, but I love it.

My wife doesn't get it.
She doesnt get the open-air motoring thing or my passion for classic cars either, :dry:

Last edit: 01 Oct 2019 21:46 by Max Headroom.

More
01 Oct 2019 21:37 #214148 by Fossie
Replied by Fossie on topic Soft Top Jimneys
Just my twopeneth, our soft top is used as a daily drive, to and from stables and commuting and the comments on here are pretty much what I'd say , but I would add the the popper rail that the soft top attaches to rots out and it looks quite bad , though the hood is velcro'd aswell so will stay in place . I replaced the rail with pvc ( because I had some hanging about the correct gauge.) which sums up the Jimny ....can be sorted at home.!
Check the sills under the plastic trim, jack holder space, for rust....
I think I might be correct in saying the cabrio are the older engine ...G series ...rather M

More
01 Oct 2019 21:50 #214149 by Max Headroom

Fossie wrote: I think I might be correct in saying the cabrio are the older engine ...G series ...rather M

Mine is a slight anomally - its an M13A VVT - they are out there but coupled to the R72 G'box - I drive my neighbour's G series tin-top and to be honest theres not a huge deal of difference - at least none that I've noticed

Time to create page: 0.102 seconds