BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:eCall and Gen4

More
14 Sep 2019 11:49 #213510 by facade
eCall and Gen4 was created by facade
Reading Another Forum someone seemed upset that his new car has eCall, which is the system that automatically phones 112 if the car detects a crash, and sends your location, identity and whether airbags etc have deployed. It can also be used to monitor your position and listen in to your conversations, except it really isn't absolutely definitely not being used for that at all by anyone :whistle:

It is mandatory on all vehicles type approved in the EU after March 31st 2018.

When was the Gen4 type approved? Does it have eCall? There is no manual button that I have noticed.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Sep 2019 11:56 #213511 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic eCall and Gen4
That sort of thing doesnt surprise me any more. People willingly allow the potential to be spied upon nowadays, what with alexa and stuff. Brave new world was right, in that ... in the future there will be no need to foreceably control society, instead people will be willing participents. RIP Aldous Huxley.

More
14 Sep 2019 12:11 #213513 by facade
Replied by facade on topic eCall and Gen4
I'm very careful what I say in front of Alexa, only Politically Correct conversations in the living room! :laugh:

Surprises me that there are people who don't think that Alexa monitors your conversations, and that every 'phone call and email passes through GCHQ......

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
14 Sep 2019 12:18 #213514 by mlines
Replied by mlines on topic Re:eCall and Gen4
If there is a button then it's in the interior light housing. Page 10-12 of the user manual shows it

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

More
14 Sep 2019 12:35 #213515 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Re:eCall and Gen4
Thanks, found the page, mine hasn't got it then.

The type approval must be before April 2018 then, or there is some sort of exemption that I can't find, or it is just the automatic system.

More
14 Sep 2019 13:31 #213518 by mlines
In the manual there is a test sequence you can go through to test eCall. You could try this sequence to see if a warning light somewhere is activated to show it is operating ok.

Martin

235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air

More
14 Sep 2019 18:01 #213522 by Bob1050
Replied by Bob1050 on topic Re:eCall and Gen4
Well if this technology works as well as some of the other AI technology, someone is going to be very busy listening into my conversations. This afternoon in my Jimny there was a debate about the price of mince, whether it was to be a Red or Green Thai Curry for dinner, that our beloved leader is indeed the new Messiah and do I fill up the petrol tank at Tesco or Morrisons. Now I'm off to inspect the Jimny for other bugging devices - paranoia is essential in 2019 - they really are snooping on you.

More
14 Sep 2019 18:36 #213526 by mlines
The thing people forget who say that every call is recorded, everything you do is logged and tracked etc. is the sheer volume of data that this would generate, continuously day and night. I have seen calculations that show you could not insert disk drives into arrays quick enough.

There is not enough global storage to do this, there is not enough global compute power to analyse it.

What can be recorded is the "metadata", the lightweight "this number called this number at this time for 10 minutes". This can then be analysed for trends, patterns etc which would identify a "subject of interest" that can then be targeted for full direct recording.

If Alexa and Siri are doing anything then it would be similar. They have already been put into electronically sealed environments where every attempt to call home is detected and they have been seen to only wake up with their wake word, they are not sending stuff 24x7. What is said can only really be stored long term as metadata as again, the volume of data is huge.

In general you safe because the volume of data around means that the average Joe is just noise in the system

Martin

Martin

More
14 Sep 2019 19:50 #213528 by facade
They use AI monitoring to look for key words and phrases, then switch you to "full scrutiny" once you pop your head over the wall. Not difficult ;)

Put it this way, if they aren't, then I want to know where my taxes are going :laugh:

Sure we have nothing to hide- now, but these lot quite like retrospective legislation.

You never know when you might be flagged as "of interest", could be nothing to do with you, it might be an investigation into someone who frequents the same groups as you.

More
16 Sep 2019 22:23 #213586 by Velocette
Replied by Velocette on topic Re:eCall and Gen4
Are we sure that its the vehicle which calls or the linked personal phone which does it. Our newish Ford has this system but its only operative when linked to your phone. Another good reason not to have phones switched on in the car.

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Sep 2019 01:47 #213588 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Re:eCall and Gen4
That was my thinking Velocette, the only systems I've come across are reliant on a connected phone. Easy to switch off, so hardly invasive.
Chris

More
17 Sep 2019 07:46 - 17 Sep 2019 07:56 #213596 by facade
I was actually more interested in whether it has eCall, rather than paranoid about being tracked, I already have a Government tracking device in my pocket- I suppose I ought to turn it off except if I need to call the AA :laugh:

Anyway, I think I have the answer.

(Hold the cog button for 10 seconds)

My 'phone was connected via bluetooth at the time. I presume if it has the inbuilt eCall sim there would be an entry in the Data Carrier field.

Anybody know what PKB is?
Notice how poor my GPS reception is, and the Dabs are non-existent.:(

Also the firmware is old, I do have 1870 dated 181026, from the Maruti guys, but I'm frightened to install it, as it might change my expensive reversing camera shadow to a swift.

If my towbar kit ever arrives I will enquire about firmware at the dealer. If you are one of the elite, you can download it via the web portal at suzuki-slda, but the downloads page isn't there for normal people.

Attachments:
Last edit: 17 Sep 2019 07:56 by facade.

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds