BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

2000 mile check up.

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Aug 2019 08:40 #212712 by Andy2640
2000 mile check up. was created by Andy2640
Was surprised to arrive at the dealers this morning. I was expecting a day around Coventry whilst they work there magic on the "micro grind" issue (or non issue).

But nope, im in for a mere 40 minute wait while they kick the tyres, ddink coffee and have a nosey through my luggage, wondering why i have 4 knifes, a pellet gun and rubber gloves in my side door :laugh: :laugh: :silly: :laugh:

So yeah..... 30-40 mins only. The real meaningful check ups cost ..... MONEY.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• JackBates
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Aug 2019 09:35 #212713 by JackBates
Replied by JackBates on topic 2000 mile check up.
Yup... same with mine when it went in. No real point to it haha

Micro grind issue referring to the grind noise when pulling away??

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Aug 2019 09:59 #212715 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic 2000 mile check up.
Yes mate, i tried to explain the noise it made, hahaa..... so i did the best i could, so theres me making all these noises, it went summit like this....

Me: "Yeah well it makes a kinda zizzy noise"..

Monkeyman: A what?

Me: "A noise like ziiiiiiiz"

Monkeyman: So like a scatchy noise?

Me: "No...its more of a micro grind"

Monkey: A what? Whats a microgrind

Me: "Like a grinding noise but very short, like a waspy ziiiz or like Ziiiiiip"

Monkey: ok, so a waspy ziiiizy kinda noise. Dave....this guy has a waspy noise!

Dave: A what???

And so it continued....

• JackBates
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Aug 2019 11:58 #212722 by JackBates
:lol: Sounds about right. Haven't told my local yet as I kinda want the challenge of working out where it is coming from myself....

Mine is under acceleration for the first pull away and is more prominent when its loaded up with people or stuff (notice the or instead of both :lol:)

Maybe a UJ bind as the axle twists under hard load eg initial pull away or when more torque is required due to extra mass? with the hand brake on and rocking it backwards and forwards you can see the axle deflect so it is possible for the pinion angle to change and maybe bind a little?

Just my thought at the mo!

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Aug 2019 12:28 #212724 by Andy2640
Yeah well as we've said before, because everybody is getting this noise then at least it's something standard from the factory. If it was an individual thing, it would indicate a failure or mess upbof some sort, which would be worrying.

At first I wasn't too bothered about the noise, thinking I could live with it, but having my father in the car the other day and him passing comment and flapping about it, I would now like to get it resolved, as it doesn't inspire confidence in passengers and they'll always be questioning it, and that's something I don't want to live with long term.

There was mention of some kknd of kit available from suzuki which fixes the problem, so i will be looking into this asap. It should be a free kit and fitted at the dealers under warrenty.

Hows everyone else feel about this micro grind?? Its not acceptable in my book!.

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Aug 2019 16:09 #212741 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic 2000 mile check up.
That noise could be just the nature of the beast. Most of us like the mechanical clunk as it goes into 4WD and the whine of low4 so this could be accepted as part of the Jimny experience. I have to be more tolerant as I have an aversion to dealers.
Chris

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Aug 2019 17:29 #212747 by Andy2640

CC Baxter wrote: That noise could be just the nature of the beast. Most of us like the mechanical clunk as it goes into 4WD and the whine of low4 so this could be accepted as part of the Jimny experience. I have to be more tolerant as I have an aversion to dealers.
Chris

Yeah maybe.

Dont get me wrong, the whine was the very first thing i noticed on collection, and I LOVED IT. Cant get enough of that whine. The clunk and raw mechanics of it i love too.

But that damn micro ziiz lol!

More
27 Aug 2019 18:23 - 27 Aug 2019 18:24 #212750 by Bill Portland
Replied by Bill Portland on topic 2000 mile check up.
Have you tried reporting it to suzuki GB? They'll probably say that no else has reported it, so it can't be a problem (like they have with the oversensitive lights on/off). If enough people report these things, maybe they'll have to investigate or at least explain it. Each dealer will quite rightly say they've never heard of it, most of them have sold so few there's a pretty small sample out there for them to have seen any.
Last edit: 27 Aug 2019 18:24 by Bill Portland.

More
27 Aug 2019 21:31 #212760 by Foxtrot
Replied by Foxtrot on topic 2000 mile check up.
It may be worthwhile recording it so that you can play it back to the dealer.
This guy has something similar when setting.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy2640

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Aug 2019 07:23 #212767 by Andy2640

Bill Portland wrote: Have you tried reporting it to suzuki GB? They'll probably say that no else has reported it, so it can't be a problem (like they have with the oversensitive lights on/off). If enough people report these things, maybe they'll have to investigate or at least explain it. Each dealer will quite rightly say they've never heard of it, most of them have sold so few there's a pretty small sample out there for them to have seen any.

I think it would be best to put this issue to Suzi GB in email, agreed.

Is anyone else going to follow suit or?

• JackBates
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Aug 2019 09:40 #212773 by JackBates
Yup, I'll drop an email too, see if we can prod them into a final answer to it

More
28 Aug 2019 11:15 #212778 by Bill Portland
Replied by Bill Portland on topic 2000 mile check up.
I will too. Wouldn't hurt to mention the over sensitive headlights on/off too, a firmware update would be good.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy2640

Time to create page: 0.130 seconds