BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

New vitaras

More
21 Aug 2019 21:15 #212477 by Fossie
New vitaras was created by Fossie
Just wondering if anyone has any experience of the 4x4 capabilities of the new Vitara.
I don't mean crossing the ulou or tank training areas , just farm tracks to stables that need a decent 4x4 .

It is just that at the mo we have the Jimny and an Estima which is all wheel drive but no ground clearance but has the carrying capacity we need for trips to le belle France.
But we are paying tax and insurance double that may be required.

So if we got a new vitara ...as in a couple of years old.....we could reduce our VED...insurance , and maintainance costs ( Not a garantee we know!)
The Jimny could live at the stables until the winter and would be used what it is meant for ...getting us out of the s**t.

* update the Estima is due to be swapped for a 07 plate Rav 4 , but the above question still stands .

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
22 Aug 2019 04:11 #212484 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic New vitaras
They aren't completely incapable of venturing into the wild but the previous ones are much better. Our 2012 5 door is a lovely thing.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
22 Aug 2019 11:24 #212501 by Foxtrot
Replied by Foxtrot on topic New vitaras
I have a 2016 1.6 dci AllGrip unfortunately the diesel engine is no longer available, it has four 4x4 modes, auto, snow mud, lock and sport. I use mine for dragging a small caravan on campsites and it has never got stuck. You will have no problems for the requirements that you have mentioned. Have a look at this video to give you an idea how competent it is.

More
22 Aug 2019 21:17 #212554 by Fossie
Replied by Fossie on topic New vitaras
Quiet informative clip cheers.
The search may continue.

More
23 Aug 2019 05:24 #212561 by DAGZOOK
Replied by DAGZOOK on topic New vitaras

Fossie wrote: Quiet informative clip cheers.
The search may continue.

The Vitara is a brilliant car and I'm sure paired with a decent set of All Terrain tyres it would fulfil your needs no questions asked. However if you wanted something a little more capable, say something in between the capability of the Jimny and the Vitara Dare I suggest the Dacia Duster??

Very capable road biased 4x4 With an estate like amount of storage. It all depends on how much Off road capability you need, because the Vitara will cover most bases without any issues.

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Aug 2019 08:25 #212568 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic New vitaras

DAGZOOK wrote:

Fossie wrote: Quiet informative clip cheers.
The search may continue.

The Vitara is a brilliant car and I'm sure paired with a decent set of All Terrain tyres it would fulfil your needs no questions asked. However if you wanted something a little more capable, say something in between the capability of the Jimny and the Vitara Dare I suggest the Dacia Duster??

Very capable road biased 4x4 With an estate like amount of storage. It all depends on how much Off road capability you need, because the Vitara will cover most bases without any issues.

Dare I say that the dacia duster is...."replusive". It is a mongrel of a car. Lol..... but in a head to head video where it faced off with a gen 4, it was surprisingly capable. Just the approach/departure angles that let it down slightly.

The duster also did well on the loss of traction test.

More
23 Aug 2019 09:58 #212572 by Foxtrot
Replied by Foxtrot on topic New vitaras
I used to have a 4x4 Dacia Duster when they first came out, they are more robust than the Vitara with a higher ground clearance (210mm) plus they come with a full size spare wheel. If you dont mind the utility look the Duster will be a better vehicle than the Vitara for in the rough. It has a very simple trick to overcome not having a low box, the first gear is incredibly low, allowing off roading at very low speeds. I had the diesel which had 260Nm of torque, its the same engine they put in the Renaults and some Nissans, the 4x4 system was developed by Nissan. If you go for the Duster make sure its the later models with the different grill, these are made in Romania and have better quality control. The early UK Dusters were made in India and the paint work on some of them were shocking, it wasnt unusual to see rust bubbling from under the paint in less than 12 months.

More
23 Aug 2019 10:16 #212575 by DAGZOOK
Replied by DAGZOOK on topic New vitaras
[/quote]
Dare I say that the dacia duster is...."replusive". It is a mongrel of a car. Lol..... but in a head to head video where it faced off with a gen 4, it was surprisingly capable. Just the approach/departure angles that let it down slightly.

The duster also did well on the loss of traction test.
[/quote]

I knew I was in for abuse as soon as I mentioned those words on a Suzuki forum :laugh: :woohoo:

Cardinal sin!!!!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy2640

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 Aug 2019 10:43 #212578 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic New vitaras
Hya DAG,

Apologies if that came accross as "abrasive". Wasnt my intention buddy :) :) :silly: :)

Ive found the forum to be very tolerant in regards to other cars etc. A very friendly place it is. Not like some landy forums, pfeeew, they can get savage lol.

Anyways, wishing ya'll a great day.

More
23 Aug 2019 18:16 #212593 by cailean
Replied by cailean on topic New vitaras
The new Duster isn't bad looking, especially the front half. Quite smart actually...

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
24 Aug 2019 06:41 #212604 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic New vitaras
We, as in management, keep looking at the duster as a Jimny replacement because it can tow more and isn't huge.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.151 seconds