BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Intermittent scraping noise front wheels

More
19 Aug 2019 14:26 - 19 Aug 2019 14:29 #212301 by grumyoldjoe
Scrapping noise from both wheels.
recently had pads changed but it was there before that.
Hearing it at 30 mph only and after 15 miles or so driven.
strange as it was there whilst going to a show but not there driving back.
have had car jacked up and no wobble either way.
had wheels off and no sign of anything obvious catching and discs look ok to my untrained eye but you can hear both wheels catching/scraping.whilst wheels off and turned by hand.
have recorded it but no idea how to get the vid posted

Wine improves with age.
The older I get the more I like it
Attachments:
Last edit: 19 Aug 2019 14:29 by grumyoldjoe.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Aug 2019 15:24 - 19 Aug 2019 15:25 #212303 by facade
Have a look behind the discs, probably the tin dust shield is touching the disc somewhere, most likely at the bottom where it has a joggle in it, just bend it back out of the way.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 19 Aug 2019 15:25 by facade.

More
19 Aug 2019 16:41 #212308 by DAGZOOK

grumyoldjoe wrote: Scrapping noise from both wheels.
recently had pads changed but it was there before that.
Hearing it at 30 mph only and after 15 miles or so driven.
strange as it was there whilst going to a show but not there driving back.
have had car jacked up and no wobble either way.
had wheels off and no sign of anything obvious catching and discs look ok to my untrained eye but you can hear both wheels catching/scraping.whilst wheels off and turned by hand.
have recorded it but no idea how to get the vid posted

The disks don't look great if I'm honest. There should be no rust 'lip' on the outer edge of the disc. The braking surface should extend right to the end of the disk! If you've recently fitted new pads, I suspect the old ones had worn to adopt the badly corroded disc. The new ones are now contacting that rusty lip during wheel rotation & braking (clearance between disc and pad when the brake is not engaged is tiny - 1-2mm tops) You'll probably find that the rear face of the disc is the same if not worse. A new pair of discs from CarParts4less or euro Car parts shouldnt cost the earth. As a general rule of thumb discs should be changed at every other Pad change :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: grumyoldjoe

Time to create page: 0.108 seconds