BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Car ramps

More
17 Aug 2019 23:24 #212225 by helijohn
Car ramps was created by helijohn
Since I drove straight off car ramps a few years ago I have a paranoid fear of using them. Nonetheless I have always loved car ramps and the plastic ones I started using recently also save my back.
Normally these days I prefer to jack up the car then put the ramps under. But it suddenly came to me in a Eureka moment...........the reason that I nowadays fear using them is because I drive automatics.
Does anyone have similar experiences with getting an auto on to ramps?

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
18 Aug 2019 06:57 #212229 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Car ramps
Never really had a problem with ramps but I only ever use them with a spotter outside the car to keep an eye on what was going on.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
18 Aug 2019 07:01 - 18 Aug 2019 07:03 #212231 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Car ramps
Like you, I generally jack the car up and put them under, less chance of a disaster when you are on your own.

However, here is how I drive a car on that I can't jack up

First, either nail the ramps down, wedge against a kerb, or a couple of heavy pavers, or loop a strip of strong carpet/sack/mat through the second rung, so the weight of the car is on the carpet before it climbs keeping the ramp from being pushed away.

only use the handbrake to stop it if it is the front wheels, don't know about this new fangled ABS, but it is easy to lock a wheel and just push one ramp along on the cars I get on ramps.

With an auto, drag the handbrake so it is pulling all the time against the back wheels, the danger with an auto is as soon as it mounts the last rung, it gets a move on and whacks into the end stop, either thumping the ramp against the bottom of the car, or going over the top, you want it to have to keep pulling and stop dead when you lift your foot.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)
Last edit: 18 Aug 2019 07:03 by facade.

More
18 Aug 2019 07:27 #212235 by DAGZOOK
Replied by DAGZOOK on topic Car ramps
I always use a set of ramp extenders, I bought these originally for my Z3 as it has really poor front ground clearance. I tend to use them all the time now though because it makes the ramp more ‘gradual’ and is a little bit easier to judge. A spotter is always ideal

More
18 Aug 2019 08:27 #212239 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Car ramps

facade wrote: Like you, I generally jack the car up and put them under

With an auto, drag the handbrake so it is pulling all the time against the back wheels, the danger with an auto is as soon as it mounts the last rung, you want it to have to keep pulling and stop dead when you lift your foot.

The problem is when the car is no longer climbing the little ramp hill.
I prefer working under a car when on ramps than on axle stands - but some jobs need the ability to turn the wheels though.
I have some steel ramps which have a hinged extender but it seems it is no help when driving up with an auto.
I us a spotter now but it doesn't seem to help me that much in terms of controlling the driving up on to the ramps.
I have not tried using the handbrake but don't feel I could cope.
I do like the plastic ramps a lot as they are so much lighter and if I can get the car jacked up I can slip them under. The trouble is with a non 4x4 the car is so low I can't get the jack under and my Ignis front crossmember is miles back from the front so I was forced to drive up the ramps. Arghhhhh:ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy:

More
18 Aug 2019 08:32 #212240 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Car ramps
I use four ramps regular
I just pop it in 4wd low and crawl up em
Also if I drive over/off them it will make no difference has my Jim is tall enough to handle the drop :woohoo:

More
18 Aug 2019 08:33 #212241 by DAGZOOK
Replied by DAGZOOK on topic Car ramps
If you're really concerned about it, maybe think about extending the vertical height of the 'stops' on the ramp, so that it's a bit more positive as you roll up against it. Could use a block of 4x2 or something to that effect.

More
18 Aug 2019 08:36 #212242 by facade
Replied by facade on topic Car ramps
On these "modern" cars, you are supposed to put the jack under the body jacking point as the subframes are made out of tissue paper thin metal.

I had to buy one of those hockey pucks with a slot across it to go between the jack pad and the jacking point on the Renault Nissan, it frightens me jacking on a folded piece of tin- but I remember The Olden Days when you never used the jacking points on a car, as they were a tube through the sill, and the tube jacked up merrily through the sill made out of underseal and newspaper, whilst the car stayed where it was :laugh: (Why we all carried a scissor jack to stick under the suspension arms or rear spring pad)

If the car is too low, chuck a couple of wood planks down and drive it onto them to get the sills 1" or so higher up.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

More
18 Aug 2019 08:38 #212243 by helijohn

jackonlyjack wrote: I use four ramps regular
I just pop it in 4wd low and crawl up em

Is yours manual or automatic?
When I drove off mine I missed a brick wall by inches!!:blink:

More
18 Aug 2019 08:47 - 18 Aug 2019 08:48 #212244 by helijohn
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configuration

facade wrote: On these "modern" cars, you are supposed to put the jack under the body jacking point as the subframes are made out of tissue paper thin metal.

I had to buy one of those hockey pucks with a slot across it t

If the car is too low, chuck a couple of wood planks down and drive it onto them to get the sills 1" or so higher up.

Regarding the front, he book says to use a trolley jack on the crossmember. That would be fine if
1) I (or rather the jack) could reach it.
2) I could get the jack underneath. My jacks are OK where the saddle is but too high at the pump.

Yes for side lift points I use a puck job with a slit in it but I also lift at points like where the shox attach.

Thing about using a plank is that often I want to jack up the car without starting and running it. As my Ignis is not my daily ride it is often still for a while and to fire it up to put it on planks is something I prefer not to do.

If I could find the clearance height of this 100% it might be the only way to go.

Last edit: 18 Aug 2019 08:48 by helijohn.

Time to create page: 0.169 seconds