BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Camping in the Jimny. Roof Top Tent and kit tried

• GeordieJimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Aug 2019 12:15 #211907 by GeordieJimny
Replied by GeordieJimny on topic Re:Camping in the Jimny. Roof Top Tent and kit tried
Can't see any limit in the owners manual but yeah I don't disagree, everything's a risk. Interestingly, would insurance pay out of you put a Jimny on it's side off-roading, regardless of roof load?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Aug 2019 12:39 #211908 by Bill Portland

GeordieJimny wrote: Can't see any limit in the owners manual

Exactly. All this talk about roof limits on the gen 4 is simply wrong. There is no stated limit unless you use Suzuki's own roof bars (which appear to be much weaker than any others on the market).

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
07 Aug 2019 15:21 #211912 by Daniel30

GeordieJimny wrote: Can't see any limit in the owners manual but yeah I don't disagree, everything's a risk. Interestingly, would insurance pay out of you put a Jimny on it's side off-roading, regardless of roof load?

That will all depend on your insurance which is another can of worm's :)

More
07 Aug 2019 17:34 #211917 by Scimike

Bill Portland wrote:

Exactly. All this talk about roof limits on the gen 4 is simply wrong. There is no stated limit unless you use Suzuki's own roof bars (which appear to be much weaker than any others on the market).

Agree 100% The reference to a 30kg limit is for the GEN3 roof rails, it clearly states "roof rails". No other limit or recommendation is given for a generic roof load in any other section of the manual supplied with the vehicle. Don't know what it says in the GEN4 manual, but if you bin the standard roof rails on a GEN3 you are limited by the load recommendation of your chosen replacement roof rack.

Re Insurance :- it makes sense to tell them of any modifications, be it a tow bar, suspension, tyres or the fitting of an aftermarket roof system etc. Once you have told them I doubt they will careless, they will have bumped your insurance premium to cover the extra "risk".

If you topple the vehicle "off roading" unless your insurance specifically covers the vehicle for this type of use I doubt you will be covered.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bill Portland

More
07 Aug 2019 20:36 #211928 by Soeley

Scimike wrote:

Bill Portland wrote:

Agree 100% The reference to a 30kg limit is for the GEN3 roof rails, it clearly states "roof rails". No other limit or recommendation is given for a generic roof load in any other section of the manual supplied with the vehicle. Don't know what it says in the GEN4 manual, but if you bin the standard roof rails on a GEN3 you are limited by the load recommendation of your chosen replacement roof rack.

Re Insurance :- it makes sense to tell them of any modifications, be it a tow bar, suspension, tyres or the fitting of an aftermarket roof system etc. Once you have told them I doubt they will careless, they will have bumped your insurance premium to cover the extra "risk".

If you topple the vehicle "off roading" unless your insurance specifically covers the vehicle for this type of use I doubt you will be covered.

What if you are Greenlaning surely that is still classed as a public high/byway so would insurance cover it? I know it is different if you use a private off road course.

More
07 Aug 2019 20:57 #211929 by Scimike
Hi Solely,
That's a good point. On paper I believe a byway is classed as a public access road, so it should be covered. However you should read the small print of your policy and if any doubt still exists ask your insurance company. You can get grey areas, for example some policies excluded 4x4 events. So if a group of you plan a day out on a byway is that an event?
So check your policy meets your needs.

Pity it's boring reading :laugh:

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley

• iawra
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Aug 2019 08:54 - 12 Aug 2019 08:56 #212045 by iawra
Thank you for your post Geordie, I found it very interesting since I’m looking to do something similar to my Jimny.
I’m just wondering if for a low profile and reduced weight setup, the tent can be mounted directly to two 1345mm slat add-on kit (ref RRAG1345) and leave aside the two tent’s mounting channels. Then use the lowest legs (ref LASS101) for an even lower profile.
If possible, the only downside would be that removing the tent with the load bars won’t be as easy as with the quick release mount kit, but still only 4 screws.
Last edit: 12 Aug 2019 08:56 by iawra.

• iawra
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Aug 2019 18:12 #212055 by iawra
Ok, another idea. Since I plan to overland with the Jimny and the payload is only 340Kg, keeping the roof rack + roof tent as light and as low as possible is a must. Looking at frontrunner solutions I thought of the following rack to accommodate the tent + some additional payload.

The idea is to mount permanently the base tent to the rack slats, I think it will barely fit between side profiles, the mount would be without tent mounting channels or mounting kit. And make use use the 120mm rack legs instead of the proposed 130mm for the Jimny racks.
Of course the antenna would have to be removed and placed elsewhere.

What do you think?
Attachments:

• GeordieJimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Aug 2019 07:33 #212082 by GeordieJimny
Replied by GeordieJimny on topic Re:Camping in the Jimny. Roof Top Tent and kit tried
Hi, yeah I did think about 2 120cm load bars and front runner confirmed they hold the tent and while it’s recommended to position the brackets over two slats it’s possible to mount them on one.

So the lightest and perhaps strongest 2 bar option would be front runners. I think they’d work well.

In the end I went with the 3/4 rack as it will offer more flexibility longer term. Plus I wanted to try the quick release tent brackets but I’ve changed those to the standard ones.

On The diagram you posted I’m not sure you’ll save much weight the slats are really lightweight. It’s going to be marginal. I’d recommend focusing on making it more aerodynamic as I’m seeing better results from reducing the drag and height of the tent on fuel economy and also driving experience.

People will say it’s not wise but even the full rack with the tent would work, I’m seeing plenty heavier setups online now. Text boxes for example. Still, lighter the better imho.

• GeordieJimny
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Aug 2019 07:39 #212083 by GeordieJimny
Hi, yeah I did think about 2 120cm load bars and front runner confirmed they hold the tent and while it’s recommended to position the brackets over two slats it’s possible to mount them on one.

So the lightest and perhaps strongest 2 bar option would be front runners. I think they’d work well.

In the end I went with the 3/4 rack as it will offer more flexibility longer term. Plus I wanted to try the quick release tent brackets but I’ve changed those to the standard ones.

On The diagram you posted I’m not sure you’ll save much weight the slats are really lightweight. It’s going to be marginal. I’d recommend focusing on making it more aerodynamic as I’m seeing better results from reducing the drag and height of the tent on fuel economy and also driving experience.

People will say it’s not wise but even the full rack with the tent would work, I’m seeing plenty heavier setups online now. Text boxes for example. Still, lighter the better imho.

I couldn’t figure out how to edit the original post so I’ve created one on my blog geordiejimny.com/a-detailed-guide-to-suzuki-jimny-camping that I’m updating as I try new ideas out. For example I’ve just made a bracket to have a quick release fitting for a telescopic ladder. Will be adding that to the guide later today.

Attachments:

• AlexK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
19 Aug 2019 09:24 #212282 by AlexK
While this thread was doing the rounds last time I thought I'd ask Suzuki again. The response from Japan was clear and unambiguous - 30kg is the maximum roof load no matter what you are attaching, or how. I'm sure some will continue to feel this is wrong somehow, but that's the answer from the people who designed it.

Obviously everyone is free to do with their Jimny as they see fit, but I personally think people should be forewarned.

More
19 Aug 2019 12:45 #212294 by Bill Portland
Why haven't they put that on any of their specifications, sales literature, manual? Do you have it in writing and specifically referring to the Gen4. If that roof can only take a 30kg load, I don't want to be in it when it turns over!

Suzuki have also said that underbody sealing will 1) invalidate their warranty and 2) not invalidate their warranty.

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds