BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Rear lockers on gen 4 ?

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Jul 2019 10:59 #211527 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Rear lockers on gen 4 ?

AlexK wrote: In theory, the BLSD should need to provide less intervention. To the BLSD, the mechanical locker just makes it look like the wheels have more traction.

Edited to add: Remember, Suzuki offers a geared locker so this combo is supported. In the accessory brochure, it says this:

"On slippery road surfaces, the loss of driving due to tire slippage is reduced, and the driving power is efficiently transmitted to support stable driving in straight lines and corners. When the brake LSD is activated, the driving force to the grounded tire is increased to support the escape performance. In addition, on curves of pavements, etc., differential differential gears maintain their original smooth running."

Yours for 111,510 yen (31,590 of which is installation) - roughly £830.

Personally, if I was cracking open the diffs to add lockers I'd be looking to re-gear at the same time, but none of the companies I'm familiar with offer R&P sets that'll fit a Jimny.

The plot thickens ..... have you got a link for this £830 suzuki part mate?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
27 Jul 2019 10:59 #211528 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Rear lockers on gen 4 ?
Ok so there is a hierarchy of competence in 4x4 systems for off road driving.

Live axles, high wheel articulation, mechanical locking diffs both axles. The solid axle allows the wheels to follow the terrain more effectively. The high articulation allows the wheels to remain in contact with the ground longer. The locking axles give the highest amount of traction.

Live axles, high articulation, one mechanical axle lock and electric traction control. As above but a computer takes the place of one of the mechanical lockers. The computer will however need to see some wheel speed difference to activate and that can cause a loss of traction and momentum for a split second which can be a problem.

Live axles low articulation and any combination of mechanical lockers or electric traction control. The wheels can't move as much so the car will lift wheels and lurch more as weight is transferred but the lockers will keep the wheels turning.

Independent suspension. Medium wheel articulation. Some combination of electric and mechanical lockers. Effectively the same as above as the wheels can't move as much so it will lift wheels

Live axles high articulation one locker one open. There's a point good as ti is to have all your wheels on the ground having even one spinning can stop you dead.

Live axles high articulation no lockers. As above but now you can spin a wheel on either axle

Independent suspension no lockers. Independent suspension simply cannot match wheel articulation with live axles unless it's a mega custom setup but then you would also have lockers anyway.

There are other combinations but they combine the flaws as well as the assets and all fall into the middle ground.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• AlexK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Jul 2019 11:19 #211529 by AlexK
Replied by AlexK on topic Rear lockers on gen 4 ?

Andy2640 wrote: have you got a link for this £830 suzuki part mate?

Sure, Suzuki JP's official accessory brochure, page 2, bottom right:
www.suzuki.co.jp/accessory_car/jimny/jimny.pdf

More
27 Jul 2019 11:21 #211530 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Rear lockers on gen 4 ?
The ABS system is enhanced by the torque biasing of the ATB diff.

One of those synergic things, separate systems that perform perfectly well by themselves and do their job, but when used in unison, they enhance each other. Getting a bit more than the sum of each.

Read reviews from ATB users, most of them can verbalise its effects far better than me.

If I were to have a gen 4, it would be fitted with the Quaife unit without doubt.

sniper
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy2640

More
27 Jul 2019 19:16 #211550 by Johnniehec
Replied by Johnniehec on topic Rear lockers on gen 4 ?
What makes you think this gen4 has any form of locking diff? Looks like the standard electronic traction control to me. I hope it’s automatic as the stop start driving displayed would kill a clutch.

On the 8th Day God made the LandRover -
On the 9th day he swapped it for a Jimny.

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
27 Jul 2019 19:31 #211551 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Rear lockers on gen 4 ?

Johnniehec wrote: What makes you think this gen4 has any form of locking diff? Looks like the standard electronic traction control to me. I hope it’s automatic as the stop start driving displayed would kill a clutch.

Click on the title, it then takes you to youtube. It then says so in the description. He got loads of videos up, some earlier videos without diff lock, and later with.

Time to create page: 0.099 seconds