BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Scotland's "Greenlanes"

More
20 Jun 2019 15:09 #210161 by furo
Scotland's "Greenlanes" was created by furo
Hi folks,

I thought it would be a good idea to try to compile a list of roads/tracks in Scotland, which you are legally allowed to drive on, but are reasonably rugged and interesting. Obviously there are no actual greenlanes here, but I've been doing some exploring and found a couple of good spots, and I'm sure others on this site will have done the same.

I'd like to keep the list as specific as possible (eg individual routes, and not just areas), and obviously strictly legal and responsible. Of course there are a lot of nice single track roads here, so I'd like to stick with the particularly good ones. If this works I'll keep an updated list of tracks in this post, with details through the thread.
  • Galloway Forest Park - northern tracks
  • Killin/Glen Lyon/Ben Lawyers - single track loop

2004 Jimny Mode: General Grabber AT3s (215/75/R15); Trailmaster 2" Lift; Jimnybits Snorkel; Jimnybits Front and Rear Recovery Points; Suntop Roof Rack; AVM Manual Hubs; Stainless Steel Exhaust System (SOLD)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Quasi

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jun 2019 15:15 #210162 by furo
Replied by furo on topic Scotland's "Greenlanes"
Galloway Forest Park
Galloway Forest Park includes a network of dirt roads run by the Forestry Commission, that you are allowed (and encouraged) to drive on. They advertise the Raider's Road in the centre of the park, which I found dull, but there is a much bigger section of tracks in the north of the park, just south of the village of Straiton. These are not well signposted, but they are open to the public, and include a couple of car park areas. The tracks are extensive enough that you could spend most of a day there, and they include some interesting and narrow offshoots, but they definitely aren't challenging, and all but one small section I came to would probably be doable in a crossover-type vehicle. But they are fun to explore, and you can get right down to the edge of a couple of small lochs.

2004 Jimny Mode: General Grabber AT3s (215/75/R15); Trailmaster 2" Lift; Jimnybits Snorkel; Jimnybits Front and Rear Recovery Points; Suntop Roof Rack; AVM Manual Hubs; Stainless Steel Exhaust System (SOLD)
The following user(s) said Thank You: sniper

More
20 Jun 2019 15:23 #210163 by furo
Killin/Glen Lyon/Ben Lawyers Loop
This is a great single track road loop in central Scotland, around Glen Lyon. You can start in the village of Killin, and turn left onto the track as you leave the village going North, then follow the track right round the glen to the Bridge of Balgie. This has some paved offshoots to hydroelectric facilities which are interesting, and one section of it is gated (owned by Stirlingshire council, it says something along the lines of "ensure you close the gates or this road will be closed"). The gated section is in very poor condition, with lots of big pot-holes and some sections where the tarmac has basically disintegrated. Once you get to the Bridge of Balgie you can close the loop by driving down the Ben Lawyer's road, which is a single track road in reasonable condition, through some brilliant scenery. As with the Galloway Forest Park track, this one doesn't require 4WD, but I was definitely grateful for high clearance and decent tyres in the gated section, and I did actually engage 4WD on a steep scrabbly section.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Dunders

More
15 Feb 2020 16:17 #218533 by Dunders
Replied by Dunders on topic Scotland's "Greenlanes"
I want to give these a try this year - thanks for sharing. I’m based in Edinburgh and recently purchased a 07 Jimny and I’m keen to do some Green Laning and mild off-roading.

Let me know if you come across any other cool places in Scotland. I imagine there must be quite a few. I am looking at doing the Owners 4x4 BYO School at the Scottish off-road driving centre in Perth. www.scotoffroad.co.uk/recreational

More
17 Feb 2020 21:29 #218673 by furo
No problem! I was hoping this thread would take off but sadly there haven't been any other contributions. In the meantime I've explored a fair bit of Argyll which has been good, but nothing you couldn't manage in a hatchback. Let me know if you find anywhere interesting! I'd highly recommend heading to Drumclog btw, especially if you can find someone to go along with.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
18 Feb 2020 17:17 #218711 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Scotland's "Greenlanes"
My sister kindly got me a voucher for Drumclog for a 4x4 day pass for xmas. It needs used up before the 6 months are up, so I will defo be up for a trip there before June if anyone wants to tagalong :-)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
18 Feb 2020 20:01 #218724 by furo
Thanks Riccy, I might well take you up on that!

More
18 Feb 2020 23:03 - 18 Feb 2020 23:03 #218747 by Bob1050
Replied by Bob1050 on topic Scotland's "Greenlanes"

Dunders wrote: I want to give these a try this year - thanks for sharing. I’m based in Edinburgh and recently purchased a 07 Jimny and I’m keen to do some Green Laning and mild off-roading.

Let me know if you come across any other cool places in Scotland. I imagine there must be quite a few. I am looking at doing the Owners 4x4 BYO School at the Scottish off-road driving centre in Perth. www.scotoffroad.co.uk/recreational

If you can stomach the run down across the border and want a grand day out - both Northumbria and Cumbria have a lovely network of BOATs that you can drive along and admire some amazing scenery. Many are gentle runs with little risk of vehicle damage but a few could inflict serious damage. I've had some great days out after a fellow forum member with local knowledge pointed me in the right direction.
Last edit: 18 Feb 2020 23:03 by Bob1050.

More
19 Feb 2020 13:49 #218763 by maverick
Replied by maverick on topic Scotland's "Greenlanes"
Essentially Scotland does not have any "Green Lanes" like we do in England and Wales.

As long as you have the "Land Owners permission in writing and in advance" you can drive anywhere!

Jalapeño, IISY?

More
29 Mar 2022 23:28 #242560 by Reindexed
Replied by Reindexed on topic Scotland's "Greenlanes"
Very late to this (and new to the site), but just came across this list of roads with fords that has quite a few in Scotland:

www.wetroads.co.uk/

Doesn't seem to be updated and some of it pretty out of date (corrieyairack pass defintely not drivable now, for example).

Some could be worth a look though.

More
30 Mar 2022 12:51 - 02 Apr 2022 05:12 #242581 by DrRobin
Replied by DrRobin on topic Scotland's "Greenlanes"
That is a good find, especially the Google Map view, if the Google Streetview has been along it, you can be sure it is accessible.

I use www.rowmaps.com to find the rights of way, but it doesn't show the fords like this site.

Robin
Moderator edit.
As is discussed later in this thread the site mentioned above is to be considered as containing out of date information and as such it is entirely incumbent upon anyone using it to confirm the current legal status of the byways mentioned in it. 
Moderator edit.

2020 blue SZ5
Ex 2011 Blue Jimny SZ4
Northumberland Jimny Blog

Last edit: 02 Apr 2022 05:12 by Lambert. Reason: Information updated please see later post in this thread.

More
30 Mar 2022 19:35 #242598 by Roger Fairclough
Unless they have changed the law, trespass is not illegal in Scotland, so it is up to the landowner to lock his gates.

Roger

Time to create page: 0.175 seconds