BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:Re:Re:Swapping Tyres Around For Even Wear

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
15 Jun 2019 12:11 #209976 by Lambert
But then why would the manual suggest rotating them?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Jun 2019 12:34 #209978 by RainerK
I have the 5 original tires, all with TPMS and I made the 5 tire change as per manual and the TPMS did not show anything.

Rainer from sunny and warm Vienna

More
15 Jun 2019 13:04 - 15 Jun 2019 13:07 #209979 by Scimike
This could be why on G4 you need to rotate. Could it be indirect TPMS system will alarm if your tyre wear at different rates.?
If it's indirect swapping tyres around will not cause issues.

There are two different types of systems being used today: Direct TPMS and Indirect TPMS.

Direct TPMS uses a sensor mounted in the wheel to measure air pressure in each tire. When air pressure drops 25% below the manufacturer’s recommended level, the sensor transmits that information to your car’s computer system and triggers your dashboard indicator light.

Indirect TPMS works with your car’s Antilock Braking System’s (ABS) wheel speed sensors. If a tire’s pressure is low, it will roll at a different wheel speed than the other tires. This information is detected by your car’s computer system, which triggers the dashboard indicator light

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 15 Jun 2019 13:07 by Scimike.

More
15 Jun 2019 13:13 #209981 by Bill Portland
The gen4 systems displays the actual pressure in psi for each tyre so it must be the direct system(?) which suggests the system must know where each tyre is on the car too(?) Or 4 local sensors, each close to each wheel.

More
15 Jun 2019 13:33 #209982 by Soeley

RainerK wrote: I have the 5 original tires, all with TPMS and I made the 5 tire change as per manual and the TPMS did not show anything.

Rainer from sunny and warm Vienna

It would only show up something when a tyre is low on pressure. So swapping tyres might result in the system telling you the front nearside tyre is low, but in reality it could be rear offside tyre depending on the rotation you have done.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
15 Jun 2019 16:12 #209986 by Riccy
I would suspect that there is a reader for each wheel in the wheel arch somewhere, thats probably how it knows which wheel is at what pressure. Therefore it doesnt matter which wheel is where, so long as they all have the tpms thing in the wheel.

I presume it doesnt monitor the spare tyre pressure?

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
16 Jun 2019 08:50 #210012 by RainerK
I am not sure that there is something in the weel arches that measure the individual tires. And there is only a yellow light in the instrument cluster to show that some tire pressure is to low.

So, I would think that the original reserve tire also hat a pressure measurement. If it is „connected“ while mounted on the door I do not know. But that would be nice because also the spare tires might loose pressure.

I once had this on my other car, but luckily I had a compressor.

In the manual is written that after using the reserve tire the TPMS light will light for 10min. I did not observe this.

More
16 Jun 2019 09:53 #210016 by Scimike
So been googling.

If the G4 shows actual individual tyre pressures then it implies it's a Direct TPMS system. I don't know for sure as I don't own a G4.

If it's direct TPMS various systems exist with single or more receiving nodes, going as far as individual identification of each wheel with a unique ID number logged with the ECU. This system requires the ID to be reprogrammed to the ECU if you rotate the tyres as it will no longer accurately reflect it location on the car. So it will still work post rotate, but it will just tell you the wrong location for the tyre.

I don't know which system the G4 uses, but if someone with a G4 swaps the tyres around and let's one down we will soon know if it's a problem or not. I hate gadgets :laugh:

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
16 Jun 2019 10:16 #210018 by Bob1050
Went and consulted the Suzuki manual, which I probably should have done in the first instance. Under the heading "Tyre Rotation" it states that you should rotate your tyres every 6k miles. You even have a choice as to whether to follow the 4 tyre or 5 tyre system. Now I cannot imagine the average owner bothering to undertake such as task and it's not part of the annual dealership service. Many drivers call out the AA or RAC to change a single wheel after a flat tyre - asking them to rotate 5 is almost laughable. Fortunately I have a trolley jack and I'm able to do the job - so I will - - now do I do the 4 or 5 tyre rotation?

More
16 Jun 2019 12:00 #210023 by Gadget
If your spare is covered, I'd probably just rotate the 4 in use, if it's exposed to the elements, I'd rotate all 5.

More
16 Jun 2019 12:20 #210024 by Bill Portland

RainerK wrote: I am not sure that there is something in the weel arches that measure the individual tires. And there is only a yellow light in the instrument cluster to show that some tire pressure is to low.

So, I would think that the original reserve tire also hat a pressure measurement. If it is „connected“ while mounted on the door I do not know. But that would be nice because also the spare tires might loose pressure.

I once had this on my other car, but luckily I had a compressor.

In the manual is written that after using the reserve tire the TPMS light will light for 10min. I did not observe this.

My car shows 4 individual tyre pressures (in psi) and its position, no mention of a 5th. Suggests 4 transmitters and 4 receivers. So moving 4 wheels shouldn't be an issue. Introducing the spare shouldn't be an issue either, provided it also has a transmitter. But it looks like the spare isn't monitored even if it has a transmitter

More
16 Jun 2019 14:05 #210029 by facade
The 4 tyre rotation will need two jacks, you only need 1 jack for the 5 tyre rotation, as you have an extra wheel to put on. :)

Doubt very much if I will bother, unless two start wearing faster.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

Time to create page: 0.187 seconds