BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Gen3 auto box?

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
08 Jun 2019 19:26 #209768 by Lambert
Gen3 auto box? was created by Lambert
I have a question. A mate with a BMW 120d has just got a gearbox remap which allegedly has reduced the change times to something akin to a dsg speed and intensity. I would suppose that it being a BMW it probably has a separate processor for every gear or something equally ott. It did however prompt the question, is it possible to do something similar to the auto in the gen3 or is it as I suspect, a bit too simple for anything like that?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Jun 2019 08:00 #209771 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Gen3 auto box?
I don't know the true answer to your question, but my complete guess would be it's not possible or worthwhile on the Jimny.

I had a BMW320d as a company car and in standard form you could already select performance modes, ECO, Sport etc which changed the way the car performs, so it's already loaded with sensors and electronic tricks and the supporting hardware.
One of the reasons I purchased a Jimny was to get away from electronic gizmos, so I consider it to be "simple" compared to the BMW, so not sure changes to the ECU (if possible) would achieve any results.

But I could be wrong, hope not, I like the simple nature of the Jimny.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
09 Jun 2019 08:48 #209772 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Gen3 auto box?
To be fair I would probably start with a bigger transmission cooler should the auto end up being put to the trailer but equally if it were possible to electronically upgrade the box it's something that I would have to seriously consider. The last auto did some towing for us and didn't mind it on the odd occasion but I would feel happier if the newer one was going to be doing more work that it was given the best chance, if you see what I mean.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
09 Jun 2019 14:21 #209773 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Gen3 auto box?
I do see what you mean and it's an interesting question I can't answer.

Extra coolings a good idea if towing a lot as most stranded caravan owners have overheating auto boxes on sunny days, it's something I have seen quite a lot. Ironically on Audi and BMW cars, but I guess all makes of auto boxes are susceptible to various degrees.

Have fun.

Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

Time to create page: 0.112 seconds