BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Recommendation for gasket sealant on king pins

More
30 May 2019 08:18 #209227 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Re:Newby
A BigJimny welcome!

I lay a classic car up for ages - I always put a shot of upper cylinder lubricant such as good old fashioned red-X into the bores through the spark plug holes before cranking it - there may be a little corrosion in there, and that would help reduce scoring.

If it's been sat a very long time the clutch may have seized on - if so, handbrake off and rock the car back and forth with it in 1st or reverse gear and it should free up. (Chock the wheels at a small distance for safety)

I'd say drain and refill the axles as well

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 May 2019 21:38 #209274 by Auldshug
Replied by Auldshug on topic Newby
Cheers for all your welcomes/ hellos
Any way did the old crank with the plugs the other coolant/brake fluid I'll do when I get Jimny home to my , done the mystery oil on top of the cylinders ,got new battery fitted tonight and it started on the third attempt with a bit of throttle.how ever idle speed 1800seems to high even after initial warm up any ideas,though drops down to 1100 in drive and reverse its as if something's stuck every now and again it drops to 1500 then back up to 1800.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
31 May 2019 04:05 #209278 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Newby
The revs will stay quite high for anything upto the first mile or two of driving depending on how hard you are having to work it. Once it is properly up to temperature then it should settle down.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Auldshug

More
31 May 2019 10:16 #209301 by Auldshug
Oh forgot to mention I had it idling for a good half an hour up to temp.
It’s not mot/ taxed ,could only drive in and out of garage to make sure that things are free, so I’ll have to arrange for a pickup by the local garage.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 May 2019 14:08 #209313 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Newby
It might settle after you have given it a GOOD heavy right foot run as it's been sitting for a while

More
01 Jun 2019 09:48 - 01 Jun 2019 09:50 #209373 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Newby
Welcome along! It might be the idle control valve sticking. Use it a bit and see if it improves, I think it will with a bit if use.

If it doesn't, that would be where I'd start but obviously check the throttle cable is not caught up anywhere or not returning to rest. It will be fine I'm sure and my money is on the icv.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
Last edit: 01 Jun 2019 09:50 by kirkynut.

More
01 Jun 2019 10:08 #209378 by Auldshug
Thanks for the info throttle isn’t sticking will have a bit of a fiddle this weekend,

More
01 Jun 2019 19:32 #209436 by Auldshug
Well got started first time idle revs 1200 then I pressed the accelerator a little and it stuck again around 2000 .As advised by Daniel30 gave the throttle a bit of wellie now and again over a half hour period and few good squirts of sea foam and yes that’s done the trick idling around 750/800 now thanks for your help guys

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
01 Jun 2019 22:50 #209445 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Newby
Nice one... Cleared out the cob webs :)

More
02 Jun 2019 21:09 #209502 by Auldshug
Replied by Auldshug on topic Felines
It's a small world George here's our two Jasmine & bagpuss,I always did wonder where they got to.

More
02 Jun 2019 21:16 #209503 by Auldshug
Replied by Auldshug on topic Newby with Jimny
How do you add a pic to a post

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
03 Jun 2019 04:05 #209508 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Newby with Jimny
In the reply section there is an attach button. Drag your pictures in there and press the insert button then submit. Assuming the file size fits.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.238 seconds