BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Roof rack issues?

More
26 May 2019 17:12 #209026 by me101
Roof rack issues? was created by me101
Hi, looking to get a rack for Little Jim, but just wanted to ask those who have one if there are any issues. Looking at a full length rack (there is someone in Rotherham area I think who makes them), but is it a bad idea? Does it feel top heavy loaded / unloaded? Any noticeable issues on the road when windy? The other issue is when on a lean, I already feel like it will tip, how much does a rack impact the tip over point?
Cheers

2007 Little Jim with cheap mods!
www.youtube.com/channel/UCeBDekO99Qk2aOmBmSmrI9w

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 May 2019 17:32 - 26 May 2019 17:35 #209027 by furo
Replied by furo on topic Roof rack issues?
It will really depend on the design of the rack that you are getting. I have a low profile rack, I'm not sure how heavy it is but I guess around 10-12kg. I recently had it off for a week to get it raptor lined and I couldn't notice any difference at all in centre of gravity/fuel economy/wind noise. Even when I load it up with my recovery tracks, which are fairly heavy, I don't notice it. When I first got it I did have an issue with wind noise, but a local fabricator made the front into a wind deflector and that completely resolved it, apart from the occasional whistle in bad crosswinds.

2004 Jimny Mode: General Grabber AT3s (215/75/R15); Trailmaster 2" Lift; Jimnybits Snorkel; Jimnybits Front and Rear Recovery Points; Suntop Roof Rack; AVM Manual Hubs; Stainless Steel Exhaust System (SOLD)
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 May 2019 17:35 by furo.

More
26 May 2019 17:38 #209028 by me101
Replied by me101 on topic Roof rack issues?
It has sides, so will weigh a bit more I think. Found pic on ebay.

Attachments:

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
26 May 2019 18:18 #209033 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Roof rack issues?
That looks pretty similar to the one I made. You will find a lot of wind noise caused by the crossbars, particularly the front. I found a LED light bar fitted in the space and stopped the noise ;-)

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
26 May 2019 18:20 - 26 May 2019 18:20 #209034 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Roof rack issues?
its an old pic, but the rack looks the same still:

newer pic of the front:

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Attachments:
Last edit: 26 May 2019 18:20 by Riccy.
The following user(s) said Thank You: stiffsteve204me

More
26 May 2019 19:05 #209036 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic Roof rack issues?
Last one I built had a bit of a whistle.....redesigned and made this one.....no whistle.

Had 150kg of mdf on it.....you certainly know it's there!!

Attachments:

More
26 May 2019 21:30 #209042 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Roof rack i ssues?
I have the JimnyBits one fitted to ours. Makes no difference to the vehicle empty other than slightly more wind noise at speed, but nothing too excessive. Had plenty of items on it, usually when we go camping, so the vehicle itself is loaded inside which tends to offset the extra load on the roof. So for me it has had no adverse impact on the way the vehicle feels or performs with or without load. Certainly without load I can't tell it's fitted.
Our GEN3 has standard tyre sizes and no body lift etc.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 May 2019 23:09 - 26 May 2019 23:09 #209045 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Roof rack i ssues?
Land rover one on mine whistled at first but stopped after I installed the spot lights, I don't notice it as there and it's heavy :)

Attachments:
Last edit: 26 May 2019 23:09 by Daniel30.

More
27 May 2019 06:56 #209050 by me101
I like the look of that one, got a light bar to fit to it, but a smaller one.

More
27 May 2019 06:57 #209051 by me101
I do like the one Riccy has, but thanks for the responses, seems like we're good to go!

Time to create page: 0.186 seconds