BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Mild 'Preventative' Off-roading Mods for Gen 4

More
23 May 2019 16:15 #208819 by jackonlyjack
I have front diff guard jimnybits gen3 and it's a pain for trapping. mud so much so i'm thinking of removing it
It does have a few good gouges from rocks, but i am sure the axle case could handle the bashing
Radius guards do collect mud when scraping the crest but are easily washed out
The following user(s) said Thank You: Guy 2, stiffsteve204me

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Guy 2
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 May 2019 16:48 #208824 by Guy 2
Thanks jackonlyjack - experience really is everything!

Hmmmm - maybe look at the shape of the Jimnybits Gen4 diff guards when they are available, and how they will fit.

• AlexK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 May 2019 06:49 #208848 by AlexK

Guy 2 wrote: I wasn't intending to fit a tow bar - so two recovery points, using a proper strop between them, halves the strain (more or less)?

Be careful when using a bridle - it creates a sideways crushing load on the recovery points that they may not have been designed for.

• Guy 2
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 May 2019 07:32 #208852 by Guy 2
Thanks AlexK. Hadn't occurred to me. This is why this Forum is so very helpful. Much appreciated.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
24 May 2019 08:05 #208855 by Lambert
I have a spreader bar somewhere for a defender for this very reason. The pull is square off the recovery points and is then trying to crush a 5mm wall bit of box section steel. It would only be a problem if the chains between the recovery points and bar snapped as their would then be a big bit of metal in flight but that is what 20tonne chain is for.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Guy 2

More
24 May 2019 09:31 #208862 by Soeley

AlexK wrote:

Guy 2 wrote: I wasn't intending to fit a tow bar - so two recovery points, using a proper strop between them, halves the strain (more or less)?

Be careful when using a bridle - it creates a sideways crushing load on the recovery points that they may not have been designed for.

That is one of the reasons I was thinking towbar as it bolts to the chassis rails, I suppose the best solution would be recovery points welded to the tow bar bracket?

• CC Baxter
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 May 2019 12:31 #208869 by CC Baxter
Replied by CC Baxter on topic Mild 'Preventative' Off-roading Mods for Gen 4
Towbar should be fine but those kinetic recoveries scare me. Perhaps it's better to have farmers tractor on call. Chris.
Attachments:

• Guy 2
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 May 2019 19:38 - 24 May 2019 19:40 #208891 by Guy 2
A big Thank You to everyone who has contributed. This topic is somewhat more complicated than I was anticipating - but then that's the whole point of getting the Forum's advice.

Let's summarise and make some assumptions:
1. Undesirable as it might be, at some point my Gen 4 imay well need need a 'snatch' recovery.
2. I will therefore need either 3 recovery points (two bolted or welded to the chassis rails at the front, and the tow bar fixture with a suitable recovery fitting), or 4 recovery points (an extra two bolted/welded to the rear - and no tow bar).
3. From what has been said, it would appear the tow bar (with suitable recovery fitting) may be the best solution at the rear - because it doesn't introduce any potential 'crushing' into the Jimny frame. However, this leaves the question of what to do in the case of a 'snatch from the front'.
4. The best solution to a snatch from the front (sorry if this is beginning to sound indelicate), would be to have a spreader bar and chains. But this sounds like a lot of extra weight to be carrying around every time you go off-road.
5. A bridle in theory might be good, but in practice could lead to damage.
6. So is there any other solution? In the case of an unavoidable snatch from the front, would just using one recovery point (attached securely to the chassis frame) be less risky than the bridle - and obviously far less weight than the spreader and chains?
7. Or is the whole thing very situation-specific? By this I mean in some situations using a single recovery point will look like less of a risk, and in others using the two with a bridle (in the absence of a recovery bar and chains) may look like less of a risk. If so then the key would be to get some recovery training as well as some off-road driver training.

And am I missing other issues here?

Thanks again - it's really helpful.
Last edit: 24 May 2019 19:40 by Guy 2. Reason: Correction

More
24 May 2019 21:04 #208901 by Gadget
Unless you're going to be hardcore offroading all the time, I think a single recovery point front and rear should be plenty. I've watched a ton of off-road videos and recoveries using more than one point are very rare.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
25 May 2019 05:56 #208906 by Lambert
Experience is the answer. You can in time tell how stuck a vehicle is and where and how to get it out. Most of the time if you have got a road going car stuck it's going to be relatively easy to get it out simply because it won't have got too far before finding its limit. However if it's a trailered challenge truck on 40 inch tyres, locked diffs and 3 monster winches and it's halfway up the windows in a swamp, that is going to take a few minutes thought.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Guy 2
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 May 2019 08:38 #208910 by Guy 2
Like it!

Consensus is beginning to look like two recovery points at the front (fixed to the rails - and giving the option of which one to attach to), and tow bar rear.

In addition some training (added onto the off-road training). Plus watching some other people do it (from a safe distance).

Then I can take some holidays to my local 'swamp'.

Shrek, eat your heart out!

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 May 2019 10:09 #208914 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Mild 'Preventative' Off-roading Mods for Gen 4

Guy 2 wrote: Like it!

Consensus is beginning to look like two recovery points at the front (fixed to the rails - and giving the option of which one to attach to), and tow bar rear.

In addition some training (added onto the off-road training). Plus watching some other people do it (from a safe distance).

Then I can take some holidays to my local 'swamp'.

Shrek, eat your heart out!

You thought about getting a winch guy? There is a nice warn axon available i seen. 1.2k all in.

Time to create page: 0.165 seconds