BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Mild 'Preventative' Off-roading Mods for Gen 4

• Guy 2
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 May 2019 12:59 #208661 by Guy 2
In the absence of any further info about when 'my' Jimny might eventually arrive (Hmmmm!), I have been compiling a short-ish list of things to do when it turns up. (NB This is WAY shorter than Andy's list!)

My list includes the so-called 'Wise Virgin' plan (Biblical reference only). At the moment this plan stands at: extend the breather pipes for the front and rear differentials (chosen as the closest bits to any water), bolt or weld-on four Jimnybits recovery points (do we talk about Jimnybits on this site?), and fix Jimnybits radius arm guards.

All of this doesn't sound too expensive - and would allow me to get to grips with some reasonably challenging off road training without (hopefully) damage.

Jimnybits tell me they will have Gen 4 - Specific recovery points available in a couple of months. The Gen 3 arm guards look as if they will fit as-is.

My questions are:

1. Have I missed anything obvious?

2 Has anyone got experience of these Jimnybits bits of kit on a Gen 3, and what do you think?

Regards and thanks to all the 'Wise' folk out there!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 May 2019 14:15 #208666 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic Mild 'Preventative' Off-roading Mods for Gen 4
I have Gen3 recovery points front and back, well made coating on mine is starting to come off now though, I would enquire about the release of a transfer box guard :)

More
22 May 2019 14:32 #208671 by jackonlyjack
I would add front and rear lower shock guards if available
Can't beat Jimny bits good fitting parts and good after sales help :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Guy 2, stiffsteve204me

• Guy 2
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 May 2019 15:43 #208688 by Guy 2
Thanks Daniel - good suggestion, and very reassuring about Jimnybits.

Cheers

• Guy 2
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 May 2019 15:46 #208689 by Guy 2
Thank you too jackonlyjack. I will follow up whether the front and rear lower shock guards are available from Jimnybits, and add those to the list.

Appreciated.

More
22 May 2019 19:18 #208740 by stiffsteve204me

Guy 2 wrote: Thank you too jackonlyjack. I will follow up whether the front and rear lower shock guards are available from Jimnybits, and add those to the list.

Appreciated.

Guy, I've dropped another email to Paranoid, to see if they may have parts in the near future. If not, will you be good enough to keep us up to speed with availability from Jimnybits?

Steve.

“He that strikes the venison first shall be the lord o' the feast.” — Shakespeare, King Lear.

• Guy 2
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
22 May 2019 19:52 #208743 by Guy 2
Pleasure to do that Steve. I'll get onto it tomorrow.
With the long weekend coming up it maybe a week or so before I have much to report though. I'll stick with it as well over the coming months, so that as new info turns up it can be reported back here.

More
23 May 2019 06:22 #208772 by Soeley
@Guy 2, Thanks for starting this thread, I will be keeping an eye on it as the points you raised were just what I was thinking of as a minimum requirement.

I had been wondering if the rear tow bar would double up as a recovery point, obviously with the hitch removed and just using the bracket? Any thoughts anyone?

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 May 2019 06:38 #208773 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Mild 'Preventative' Off-roading Mods for Gen 4

Soeley wrote: @Guy 2, Thanks for starting this thread, I will be keeping an eye on it as the points you raised were just what I was thinking of as a minimum requirement.

I had been wondering if the rear tow bar would double up as a recovery point, obviously with the hitch removed and just using the bracket? Any thoughts anyone?

This was on my mind the other day actually: Are the tow points/loops not suitable for recovery then?

More
23 May 2019 06:46 - 23 May 2019 06:47 #208774 by Gadget
Guy, I've got pretty much the same plans for mine. Top of the list are recovery points front and rear, so waiting on Jimnybits for those. If they follow a similar setup to the Gen3 parts, then they might optionally integrate with a hidden winch plate.....which I definitely don't need.....but..... :whistle:

Radius arm guards are next, as I've already stripped all the paint off mine once. Would love to know if the Gen3 parts are compatible or if they'll be releasing Gen4 specific ones.

Both my diff casings have remained undamaged so far, but toying with diffguards, Jimnybits already have the rear available and it looks a doddle to fit. They've also got a fuel filter guard available which might be worthwhile.

I hadn't considered extending the breathers but that seems sensible, any leads on suitable kits?

Andy - the lashing loops would be fine for onroad towing, but would be easy to rip off if you try a kinetic recovery when bogged in mud. Can recommend watching Youtube videos by Ronnie Dahl for info on recovery techniques.

Soeley - I'd wondered the same about the tow fixing, however I don't think the Suzuki setup lets you install a horizontal pin to attach a shackle.
Last edit: 23 May 2019 06:47 by Gadget.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy2640

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
23 May 2019 06:52 #208775 by Lambert
The factory points are literally for lashing down to vehicle in transit. They are designed for the relatively small vertical load., not the massive horizontal shock loading seen in a recovery. They will literally peel out of the chassis causing loads of damage. Proper recovery points are vital if you are going off road.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy2640

• Guy 2
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
23 May 2019 15:55 #208816 by Guy 2
Hi Gadget - I'm awaiting a reply from Jimnybits.

Pending that, my initial thinking was to go with the radius arm guards and shock guards as 'Step 1' (as well as the breather pipes), because these guards are not too large and are in a place where I reckon I can keep them clean.

I did have something of a concern that some of the larger 'bash plate' guards would just trap mud and foster rust - even if I am routinely jet washing under the car.

However, I just asked Preserve and Protect Undersealing (Glasgow) about this (as I'm intending to have the Jimny 'Dinitrol-ed' with them) and Mark, the owner there, has just come back and recommended going ahead with guards for the diffs and sump. So that's his professional opinion as an 'undersealer', who offers a guarantee. You can't say fairer than that.

I wasn't intending to fit a tow bar - so two recovery points, using a proper strop between them, halves the strain (more or less)?

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds