BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Running in the Engine - Engineering explained.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
12 May 2019 06:38 #207754 by Lambert
Never!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 May 2019 06:44 #207757 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Running in the Engine - Engineering explained.

Lambert wrote: Never!

My loyalty to lord lambert remains firm. I shall not doubt my master.

At your service my lord

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
12 May 2019 06:45 #207758 by Lambert
Good to know!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
12 May 2019 11:09 #207772 by Bob1050
Running in the Engine - an emotive topic that's been around almost as long as "Who was England's finest ever Centre Forward" or "Should proper Fish and Chips only ever be cooked in Beef Dripping".

Personal thoughts based on working for an international manufacturer using engines from a range of manufacturers - I'd recommend using a sensible degree of mechanical sympathy, including getting the engine, transmission and braking system gently up to normal working temperatures/pressures before more strenuous 'exercise'. Always remembering that although your oil pressure builds up quickly, your oil temperature can take rather a long time before it reaches is optimum protection point. Also all your bearings/seals need to bed together - even with modern manufacturing tolerances. Engines do not like being started up for very short timescales/journeys - hence why some very low mileage, gently driven ex-granny cars are in such atrocious mechanical condition. Never assume low mileage cars are always a good buy. One of the best cars I've owned had 150k on the clock - every day it got a decent run down the motorway, all components reaching normal working temperatures/pressures and the engine never had problematic carbon deposits. Just my tuppence worth - and all my cars and motorcycles get a 'mechanically sympathetic' run in before being used to do what they were designed to do. 'Thrash it like you stole it' is fine for teenagers getting a new car on pcp and keeping it just long enough before the Repo Man arrives to repossess it.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy2640

Time to create page: 0.105 seconds