BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Gen 4 paint finish

More
25 Apr 2019 20:13 #206667 by Foxtrot
Gen 4 paint finish was created by Foxtrot
Calling all Gen 4 owners, what's the paint finish like in the engine bay? I have had 4 Gen3 Jimnys from New and I was always a bit disappointed with the paint finish. The engine bay was nothing like the exterior, it looked like an afterthought, it wasn't glossy and the undercoat was showing in places. I was hoping that the new Jimnys had addressed this with their quality control?
My 2016 Vitaras paint finish is consistent throughout the car including the engine bay.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• G-imny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Apr 2019 20:42 #206668 by G-imny
Replied by G-imny on topic Gen 4 paint finish
I don’t think it is much different to the Gen 3. Not as thoroughly painted as the exterior certainly. I will have to check mine tomorrow but I remember the engine bay of one in the showroom had undercoat visible in places.

• Aj4x4
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Apr 2019 20:43 #206669 by Aj4x4
Replied by Aj4x4 on topic Gen 4 paint finish
Hi. Not for mine yet.... but have seen three in total.... a white one at a magazine launch I attended in September, a Kenetic Yellow one and a Blue one, both at my dealer. The paint on all three under the bonnet was patchy and thin in places. Having had three Gen 3s two SJs and two LJs, i would say the paint detailing under the bonnet is not great in the gen 3s and 4s.

More
25 Apr 2019 20:50 #206670 by stiffsteve204me
Replied by stiffsteve204me on topic Gen 4 paint finish
Not good in engine bay, nor underside of the bonnet. The finish looks thin/patchy. as can be seen in the background paintwork here:

File Attachment:

Steve.

“He that strikes the venison first shall be the lord o' the feast.” — Shakespeare, King Lear.

More
25 Apr 2019 21:29 #206673 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Gen 4 paint finish
The finish in the pictures above is "overspray", is it's not intended to be a finish as such. Protection is provided by the primer layers, not the top coat, that's just for show. The GEN3's are much the same, primer the main finish within these unseen areas.
It's a way of saving cost by not applying paint to areas you don't normally see.
It's not bad thing in anyway, but the Jimnys also not cheap anymore, should it be better?

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

More
25 Apr 2019 21:56 - 25 Apr 2019 21:59 #206674 by Foxtrot
Replied by Foxtrot on topic Gen 4 paint finish
I would expect the quality from a Japanese manufacturer to be good, it wasn't unusual to see beads of rust with my Gen3s in the engine bay where the panel's met after 18 months. It's not a cheap car anymore, my first Jimny in 2001 cost me £7999, the SZ5 is now more expensive than an entry level Vitara which is made in Hungary. .Even my first car a 1978 British Leyland Mini had a fully painted engine bay....:silly:

Just keep your eye on it, if I remember rightly they have a 12 year anti-perforation warranty as long as you keep the servicing/ inspections up to date.
Last edit: 25 Apr 2019 21:59 by Foxtrot.

• pixelpower
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Apr 2019 06:09 #206677 by pixelpower
Replied by pixelpower on topic Gen 4 paint finish
£7999 in 2001, adjusted for inflation is £12999. The base SZ4 now has a lot more standard equipment now, so £14499 still seems cheap to me.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
26 Apr 2019 06:23 #206678 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Gen 4 paint finish
This ^^^^^
A Jimny is a cheap car, expecting it to not be built to a budget is simplistic. That they are way more mechanically reliable than cars starting at twice their price is frankly astounding and to then expect the same levels of fit and finish as their direct competitors is again unrealistic. A Jimny is a direct competitor to things like the wrangler and G class and discovery in terms of off road performance so to achieve that and be as cheap as a 2x4 crossover has to involve a compromise.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• AlexK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Apr 2019 06:33 #206681 by AlexK
Replied by AlexK on topic Gen 4 paint finish
I had a Lexus back in 2001. That wasn't painted in the engine bay, either. If it's good enough for them...

• Aj4x4
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Apr 2019 11:06 #206695 by Aj4x4
Replied by Aj4x4 on topic Gen 4 paint finish
I was brand new Dacia Duster in 2014. It was the top of the range one and cost just shy of £15000. I had a good poke around it at the dealer and found rust developing in 17 different areas from under the bonnet to under the rubber door seals. It was coming through the paint. It didn't help it was white as it showed up much easier. I lifted the carpets and there was loads of surface rust patches. I pointed it all out to the dealer who looked a bit embarrassed and suggested I might spend my money elsewhere. Again a cheap car but there should not be rust on any new car. The Duster issue raged on..... it turned out rolls of raw untreated steel where being shipped to India from Romania and was rusting whilst on the ship. Then was basically given a quick clean and painted!!!

More
26 Apr 2019 11:52 - 26 Apr 2019 11:58 #206700 by Foxtrot
Replied by Foxtrot on topic Gen 4 paint finish
Your right with the Dacia Duster, for some strange reason it was the white and silver which had rust problems. They had other issues regarding leaks from incorrect door seals and poorly fitted accessories when they got to the UK. I had a Lauréate 1.5 dci 4x4 2013 slate Grey and never had any issues with it, however after a campaign to get Dacia to recognize the paint issue they were all recalled including mine to have them rust proofed. The courtesy car I got was a silver 18 month old model, this was bubbling rust under the paint work, which meant the waxoyl treatment was going to be useless. The brand damage was so bad that Dacia had to stop the Indian UK production and swap to Romania where the quality control was better. When it was 3 years old I traded the Dacia in for a 1.6 dci Vitara which is made in Hungary.
Last edit: 26 Apr 2019 11:58 by Foxtrot.

More
26 Apr 2019 12:01 #206703 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Gen 4 paint finish
It's all comparative to other manufacturers.
The SZ5 is near enough 17K and does not come with better paint work or protection, it's not cheap anymore, but then it never was. A Citroen C1 / Toyota Aygo / 106 is a cheap car at 8K and the engine bay is painted! I owned a C1 from new, not a hint of rust when we sold it 4 years later, so it can be done for the money.
For 17K you can get a new Fiesta ST which is painted fully and loaded with gizmos, so why are they skimping?

Having said that it is what it is.

If I had 17k to spare (and wanted one) the lack of finish under the bonnet would not put me off. If I was just after transport and had no particular love for the Jimny I would get the ST :laugh:

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds