BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Another rust prevention thread

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
25 Apr 2019 09:34 #206634 by Lambert
Ok so as you know I will be receiving the new 2016 soon. It is not a new car but equally is low mileage so can't really be that bad for corrosion underneath. Well it goes back if it is. Anyway. If it were new new I would be on with the buzzweld fresh of the wagon. But given it isn't would waxoil be a better option given that it will creep into nooks and crannies?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Apr 2019 10:34 #206635 by stiffsteve204me
Have a look at this, Lambert.

www.bilthamber.com/media/downloads/PG-BH13-001.pdf

Bilt Hamber have a reputation for good products, www.bilthamber.com/corrosion-protection-and-rust-treatments/

As you know, my Jimny is new, so I intend to treat it straight off the bat, using:

This for the chassis: www.bilthamber.com/corrosion-protection-...treatments/dynax-s50

This for underbody: www.bilthamber.com/corrosion-protection-...-treatments/dynax-uc

Dynax-UB is like the UC, but brown in colour, the UC being clear.

Steve.

“He that strikes the venison first shall be the lord o' the feast.” — Shakespeare, King Lear.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• Guy 2
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Apr 2019 16:50 #206648 by Guy 2
Replied by Guy 2 on topic Another rust prevention thread
And, of course, Lanolin if you're an Aussie (or a sheep). Ha, ha!

• Lambert
    Registered
More
25 Apr 2019 17:49 #206657 by Lambert
Being a sheep farmer I guess I could get it out up on stands and get the little bleaters to walk around under it!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Guy 2

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
25 Apr 2019 17:51 #206658 by Riccy

Lambert wrote: Being a sheep farmer I guess I could get it out up on stands and get the little bleaters to walk around under it!

That would certainly get rid of the dealer fresh scent :sick: :sick:

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• Lambert
    Registered
More
25 Apr 2019 17:54 #206659 by Lambert
Slightly worrisome is that I don't smell it anymore. Sheep that is. I like new car smell.

More
25 Apr 2019 18:26 - 25 Apr 2019 18:29 #206661 by Scimike
Tricky one this as everyone will have selected the best option for rust prevention, so you are going to get a few different suggestions.
It's fair to say that doing anything, even the sheep walking, is going to be better than leaving it to Suzuki's protection.

Have to say that you can get better than sheep. I have had great success with BLACK Waxoyl as an underbody spray. I used it on my Land Rover to protect the chassis several years ago and it's still doing its job. It's cheapish than other products (£20 for 5ltr) if you shop around and can be applied neat with a underseal gun from machine mart etc.
www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-cub3-under-body-seal-gun/
Quick to apply and drys Matt black, mud just washes off.

For the inner box sections Dinatrol or blithamber products are easier to apply in my opinion. I used Dinatrol cavity wax areosol spray cans (500ml) with 90cm Lance to inject the box sections, doors etc on my Jimny. It took just under 4 cans.

So for me Waxoyl underbody, Dinatrol box sections etc.

I don't have any sheep to use for rust proofing.

Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 25 Apr 2019 18:29 by Scimike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

More
25 Apr 2019 18:52 #206662 by Bill Portland
Is all this really necessary with a 12 year antiperforation warranty? Or does that only cover body panels?

More
25 Apr 2019 19:02 - 25 Apr 2019 19:18 #206663 by Scimike
They rot from the inside out, so visually they look good on the outside. Not a problem if you swap your your car or don't intend to keep it.
My 2009 at 8 years old had a rotten front body mount, about 4 inches of double skin metal missing. It looked perfect on the outside, but I needed remove plastic trim to find the true rust levels. I guess after 12 years it would have appeared as the headlamp falls off :laugh:
Suzuki IMHO have poor rust protection compared to other manufacturers, so if it's a keeper it's worth it.

A Suzuki has the honour of being the only classic car Wheeler dealers (restoration show) failed to repair due to rust.......and that's amongst a shed load of British Leyland rot boxes.

Personal wants and needs I suppose at the end of the day.

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 25 Apr 2019 19:18 by Scimike.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bill Portland

• Lambert
    Registered
More
25 Apr 2019 19:56 #206665 by Lambert
The thing is that to date every vehicle I have looked after for the last 15 years has been waxed yearly because it doesn't break the bank, but in more recent years there has been a prevalence of significantly higher tech and more expensive alternative solutions for the same problem. A very major part of me is intent on continuing to use waxoil especially on a not new car and taking into account the significant cost advantage and the need to reapply yearly because of the scouring effect of long grass on leading edges. I know that sounds a lot like my mind is made up but if there is compelling evidence that these modern and more expensive solutions work better or last longer then I will change my mind...

• G-imny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Apr 2019 20:52 #206671 by G-imny
Replied by G-imny on topic Re:Another rust prevention thread
Reading this thread I am now concerned I should have arranged some sort of treatment for my car from new. At 4 months old is it still worth considering the more expensive treatments or should I just get it waxoyled sharpish? (Hopefully this is still relevant to the intent of the thread)

More
25 Apr 2019 21:13 - 25 Apr 2019 21:42 #206672 by Scimike
I don't know is my honest answer.
If you believe the hype then Suzuki may have improved things on the new Jimny.
If you go by past Jimny / SJ examples it's still poor by other manufacturers standards

I noticed on a year old demo GEN 3 model rust starting to appear on welds on the chassis, the first signs of scabby rust. Ironically the chassis is thick enough not to be an issue until the vehicle is quite old, but I was surprised to see surface rust on such a new model. Every other Jimny I looked at confirmed various levels of surface rust appearing.

If I owned a new Jimny I would keep a close eye on it and if I detected surface rust appearing (as I have seen on newish GEN3) then yes I would get it treated. BUT I tend to keep my vehicles if they are reliable for a long time, so this action is good for me.
If I intended to sell it on within 10 years then I would not bother, it's not going to add any value and the rot (if any) is not going to be my problem.

Only time will tell with GEN4, but don't panic, is not going to fall apart overnight. Enjoy what is a great looking fun vehicle...

Last edit: 25 Apr 2019 21:42 by Scimike. Reason: It's not going to fall apart
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bill Portland

Time to create page: 0.168 seconds