BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Another rust prevention thread

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
26 Apr 2019 04:08 #206675 by Lambert
It took Ermintrude 8 years to develop any noticeable rust having been waxoiled from new every year as mentioned above that is exceptional in a gen3 as most were as bad after 2 or 3 years if untreated. Zebedee needed a significant amount of time with the wire brushes and chemical converters to be at a similar level and wasn't a year younger than Ermintrude. They need something, unless you're going to be getting another in 3 years.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bill Portland, stiffsteve204me

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• AlexK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Apr 2019 06:25 #206680 by AlexK
Replied by AlexK on topic Another rust prevention thread
The one I inspected closely on the press launch had additional undersealing.

If mine doesn't arrive looking exactly the same, I'll be asking why.

More
26 Apr 2019 06:52 #206682 by stiffsteve204me

AlexK wrote: The one I inspected closely on the press launch had additional undersealing.

If yours is like mine, this is what you will get.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

I have no idea if that is "additional", but I'm fine with it.

Steve.

“He that strikes the venison first shall be the lord o' the feast.” — Shakespeare, King Lear.
The following user(s) said Thank You: AlexK

More
26 Apr 2019 08:05 #206688 by kirkynut

stiffsteve204me wrote:

AlexK wrote: The one I inspected closely on the press launch had additional undersealing.

If yours is like mine, this is what you will get.

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

File Attachment:

I have no idea if that is "additional", but I'm fine with it.

Steve.

Wow, that's no more than the old Jimny and I'd not be happy leaving it like that. If I'd spent that much on a Jimny I'd be down to somewhere like Before and After for a professional job.

Then I'd start modding!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Guy 2
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Apr 2019 12:33 #206708 by Guy 2
Replied by Guy 2 on topic Re:Another rust prevention thread

G-imny wrote: Reading this thread I am now concerned I should have arranged some sort of treatment for my car from new. At 4 months old is it still worth considering the more expensive treatments or should I just get it waxoyled sharpish? (Hopefully this is still relevant to the intent of the thread)

Hi G-imny, I spent a lot of time reading around the issues associated with waxoyl (and all the other treatments) and came to the conclusion that it's less about the specific product and more about the preparation - whether you do this yourself or check that your preferred third party operator is doing it thoroughly. For example, deep cleaning and then thorough DRYING before application. For this reason I, personally, would favour a third party who takes longer to do the work rather than someone who boasts they can do it in 24 hrs. With this proviso I suspect you would be absolutely fine with having the work done now - if you so wish.

Incidentally, I know my limitations and realise that if I attempted to do the work myself then the whole garage, the cypress outside the garage, next door's cat and half the garden would be rustproofed - as well as me! (It's the cat I worry about.)

• Guy 2
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
26 Apr 2019 13:59 #206710 by Guy 2
Replied by Guy 2 on topic Another rust prevention thread

Lambert wrote: Being a sheep farmer I guess I could get it out up on stands and get the little bleaters to walk around under it!

Wedge it on the stands in a gate between two fields, and "Bob's Your Uncle".

How I wish that I was a competent artist - there's a wonderful cartoon in there somewhere!

More
26 Apr 2019 16:23 #206725 by yakuza

Lambert wrote: Being a sheep farmer I guess I could get it out up on stands and get the little bleaters to walk around under it!

Busy times now? Lambing season on your side if the fjord as well? My mate and my neighbour both are sheep farmers and I do not see much of them these days..

For the rust treatment I think the most important thing is to do something, and the sooner the better. If I owned the yellow car above I would treat it immediately. And repeat every so often.
All new Norwegian cars get treated way better than that and they last long. Haven't seen so much rust on any Norwegian Jimny as most rusted pictures in here. Rust here is when it haven't been maintained. Or when the coating gets hard and cracks up letting water in underneath. Most here use tectyl. Dunno if that translate to any English product.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
26 Apr 2019 18:35 #206732 by Lambert
Just on the last few foster cases and that is lambing done. Will have a look for tectyl as if it works in the frozen North of Hoth it should be good down here.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds