BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Help! After exhaust rebuild fault code!

• nzjimnyj
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Apr 2019 09:08 #205395 by nzjimnyj
Help! After exhaust rebuild fault code! was created by nzjimnyj
Hi everybody.
I have a 2016 jimny, and recently replaced the choked manifold with a nice branched extractor and new pipe all the way aft, the upper 02 sensor was alway Pre the manifold cat, so I had it put back in to the pre existing port in the new extractor. The. 2 nd 02 sensor was after or just on the lower CAt, so I had a mini cat (fooler) placed on that port, and 02 sensor re installed.
Same day i installed an oiled K and N high flow air filter. I drove well for maybe 40 km and then had fault light. Disconnected battery and reset ECU.
Drive approx 170km and now Have
p0140 code. Which is no activity at 02 sensor bank 1 sensor 2 (which I believe is the sensor with the fooler on it- which was quite expensive!!

I’ve read that this fault code can be produced by oil from pre oiled air filters, but also in changing the exhaust system I could assume that the fooler isn’t working either?

Any experience?
I’d really appreciate some advice here.
Thanks a million!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
02 Apr 2019 12:56 #205399 by Lambert
Welcome to the forum. I doubt it is the air filter. Were the sensors new or reused, after market or genuine? Are the sensors wires routed correctly and securely inserted into the plugs on the harness?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
02 Apr 2019 15:46 #205407 by yakuza
Your sensor fooler would most likely be a resistor of some sort. There is a different signal from the first and second sensor so not sure if the fooler can be of the same type depending on if you fool the first or the second sensor. Might you have the wrong type?
Anyways not sure i see the point in using a fooler. An aftermarket cat and a sensor is not that expensive.. Especially if as you say the fooler is expensive.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.

• nzjimnyj
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Apr 2019 16:10 #205410 by nzjimnyj
Replied by nzjimnyj on topic Help! After exhaust rebuild fault code!
Hey!
The 02 sensor wiring was never disconnected, just sensors removed and re installed, into new exhaust system.
Can I mess around with fooler and or washers, or is there a way to troubleshoot the parameters of the fault?

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
02 Apr 2019 17:04 #205417 by Lambert
If it's the original sensor it could have been damaged by being taken in and out? Worthwhile checking as they aren't so expensive.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• nzjimnyj
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Apr 2019 17:20 #205419 by nzjimnyj
Hey thanks so much for your replies,
I doubt it, but will have it checked. The shop that did it said it was a first for them and they are keen to help.
If it was a hard fault or a failed sensor I wouldn’t manage 100-200 km between engine check light illumination surely.

I wonder at worst if I can permanently clear that particular code- as the engine runs fine, and much better since free flow

More
02 Apr 2019 18:05 #205423 by facade
P0140 means the sensor isn't switching*, could be a failed sensor, but I'm a bit suspicious of the fooler.

Is it an extender tube with a little hole in? They are only about £10, and are supposed to work by moving the sensor out of the gas flow, but I don't see what that can do, there is some talk of putting wire wool into the hole in the fooler, again I've no idea what that can do.

Clear the code and see what happens, it seems that a fooler either works or it doesn't. If it is decatted it won't pass emissions test at the tailpipe surely? I'd just refit the lower cat and sensor.

*you wouldn't expect the post-cat sensor to be switching anyway, but I suspect that there is an ecu "test" of the catalyst by looking for a change when it accelerates on open loop and then goes closed loop in steady state- it would expect to see switching from rich to correct under this condition.

If it suddenly breaks, go back to the last thing that you did before it broke and start looking there :)

• nzjimnyj
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
02 Apr 2019 19:23 #205427 by nzjimnyj
Thanks facade,
Good info. Some of its new to me but hope it will help. Surely others have ran into this issue after free flowing the exhaust?

Another question, once the code has logged, does the ECU go into a manual metering mode, or throttle position? Or in anyway throw out fuel economy? I can’t sense the car driving any different.

If not, I’ll experiment with new foolers, as it has to be the weak link, and will maybe look into permanently disabling that code? If there’s a way of doing that

Cheers guys, thanks in advance for any more info

J

Time to create page: 0.148 seconds