BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Cooper stt pro

• Uncle fester
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Mar 2019 09:52 #204992 by Uncle fester
Cooper stt pro was created by Uncle fester
Just a thought, I’ve just got another jimny 2003 jlx in silver, completely standard but I have plans to modify it.
My question is I’ve got a set of new 265/75/16 cooper stt pro tyres, could I fit these to my jimny and if so what would be needed?
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
24 Mar 2019 10:03 #204993 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Cooper stt pro
Simply put, a metric tonne of work. Including but not limited to a 3 inch plus suspension lift, probably a body lift and probably a bit of body trimming. There is also a significant re gear to do too. Cool? Possibly. Worthwhile? Depends. The thing is that anything is possible with enough time and effort and money.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
24 Mar 2019 17:05 #205006 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Cooper stt pro
They are essentially the same size as the 31x10.5r15 I have on the trayback project, but fractionally larger. They are also the cooper stt pro tyre.

To get them to a) fit and b) work will take a bit of doing as Lambert says. Firstly different wheels will be needed as they are 16" rim, not 15".
The trayback has a 2" trailmaster lift kit, 2" body lift (for whats left of the body), severe front wing chopping and custom front bumper (rear gone obviously, but that would also need major trimming if still there). Less trimming would be needed with more lift, but then you need to sort out the castor correction, etc and it all just snowballs quickly into a money pit. Chopping stuff off costs less :laugh:

Then, also as Lambert says, the gearing needs altered to suit the increased tyre size. This depends on where you are starting from (what year jimny with what engine/gearbox). Both of mine are VVT (2005 onwards), which have the R72 gearbox from factory. This needs changed to the earlier R7me gearbox, then a rocklobster transfer box (custom made thing from an old SJ box and new gearset). 4.16 is fine for 31" tyres. As they are VVT I have also had to swap the diffs to the earlier 3.9 ratio. Then the shafts will be too weak to reliably turn the 31" tyres, so theres another fortune in parts for HD shafts & CVs. Might as well fit a locker while your there :laugh: and theres another fortune gone.

Some pics for an idea:
31" coopers...

and these are 285/75r16 on the other one (7" lift):

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus
Attachments:

• Uncle fester
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Mar 2019 19:20 #205011 by Uncle fester
Replied by Uncle fester on topic Cooper stt pro
Thank you for the information, I think it maybe a step too far for me I think I’ll go for a smaller less involved tyre swap, maybe 235/75/15?

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
24 Mar 2019 20:02 #205014 by Riccy
Replied by Riccy on topic Cooper stt pro
even that is a fair step. the best option is 215/75r15 on standard gearing/suspension

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

• Uncle fester
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Mar 2019 20:08 #205017 by Uncle fester
Replied by Uncle fester on topic Cooper stt pro
Would 235/75/15 be ok with a 2” lift, or what would they require?
I’ve been offered some bf Goodrich km2 at a good price.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
24 Mar 2019 20:25 #205019 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Cooper stt pro
The problem really isn't making them not catch so much as it is the 1.3 pushing the Jimny about. It's not a torque heavy motor and consequently it's very reliant upon the gearing to compensate. So when you are even slightly altering the tyre size you are very quickly outside that optimal set of ratios and corrective measures are expensive. There are some combinations of gears from different ages and models that can be combined to avoid the real expensive custom sets but even then it's not cheap cheap.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
24 Mar 2019 20:46 #205022 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Cooper stt pro

Uncle fester wrote: Would 235/75/15 be ok with a 2” lift, or what would they require?
I’ve been offered some bf Goodrich km2 at a good price.

I have KM2's there not so good in mud if that's your thing ;)

More
27 Mar 2019 22:22 #205175 by 300bhpton
Replied by 300bhpton on topic Cooper stt pro
A 265 is about the same width as a 31.10.50 but the 265/75 should be just under 32” while most 31.10.50’s are often only just over 30” tall.

Time to create page: 0.191 seconds