BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Viscous fan

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
13 Mar 2019 06:48 #204508 by Lambert
Viscous fan was created by Lambert
Hi all. Having dropped a hundred quid into a new viscous coupling and therefore having a spare I figured that the broken one isn't going to be any less broken if I take it apart and try to fix it. I blame YouTube. Ok so basically they rely on a specific volume of a specific grade of silicone oil being sheared by the moving parts inside the assembly, this is in turn controlled by the action of a bimetallic coil acting on a valve to offer a temperature variability. Still with me at the back?

At the moment I'm still researching the actual volume and grade of oil Suzuki recommend?

Having split my one I have found a decided absence of any oil at all, just a thin smear. So having done some research the oil is the stuff that rc cars have in their dampers and is readily available in many grades. Win!

Apparently Toyota use a 3000 grade in the cruiser and it is a thing to tune the fan lock up using a higher or lower grade of oil. Obviously this depends on the Suzuki spec but it can't be far off and is worth exploring.

Next couple of days if I get chance I will bob over the hill to modelsport and get some supplies in and report back.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
13 Mar 2019 07:27 #204509 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Viscous fan
Once I have found something out I'll see if I can work the wiki and pop the findings in there. Or I'll pin this to the top. We'll see.

• JimJimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Mar 2019 07:42 #204510 by JimJimny
Replied by JimJimny on topic Viscous fan

Lambert wrote: Next couple of days if I get chance I will bob over the hill to modelsport and get some supplies in and report back.

Apologies for the off-topic request here, but wonder if while you're over at otley you might ask them whether/when they'll be getting the gen4 Jimny crawler . . I might have more luck getting one of those before the real thing arrives, at this rate of (non)progress! :S

Wishing you success with the oil hunt for the coupling.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
13 Mar 2019 08:07 #204512 by Lambert
No worries. I was going to be asking about a gen3 anyway so I will see what's what.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
13 Mar 2019 12:57 #204519 by Lambert
All they have is the tamiya gen3 kei model with ifs and rigid chassis. Though the shell is available separately and could be mounted to a more capable traxxus chassis. Not aware of a gen4.

• JimJimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Mar 2019 13:14 #204520 by JimJimny
Replied by JimJimny on topic Viscous fan
Thanks, I'm much obliged to you for asking . . I've seen the gen3 model on their website, was just hoping they might know of any plans to introduce a gen4 model., Maybe it'll happen if the manufacturers think there would be sufficient demand, although that doesn't seem to have happened with the Suzuki real m'coy.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
14 Mar 2019 05:15 #204553 by Lambert
Right. I got some different oils, nice and cheap too which makes a change. I decided to observe the effects of a heavier oil first simply because I can. And started with an 8000. At the moment i haven't had time to measure the torque resistance scientifically with my spring balance and even if I can I'm only guessing at a point of reference to a genuine new one as my other one is after market and therefore something of an unknown. Anyway to the hands it certainly feels marginally stiffer at room temperature and is definitely an improvement from when it was empty of oil. I will give it a measure later and then get it on the car and see what changes.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
14 Mar 2019 15:56 #204584 by Lambert
Like I said earlier this is meaningless without a known point of reference but with the 8000 weight oil the spring balance is showing a steady pull of 3 Newton's which is a noticeable difference to the new one on the car but there's the leverage ratio of the fan to account for there. If I have time tomorrow lunchtime I will swap the two over and see what happens.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
15 Mar 2019 15:27 #204628 by Lambert
8000 is too much. It's not quite but almost permanently driving. Good if you're doing a lot of stationary work or constantly in traffic. Will give 6000 a go next. But probably not until after lambing.

More
15 Mar 2019 19:21 #204640 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Viscous fan
This is a good experiment. Thank you.

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

• Lambert
    Registered
More
18 Mar 2019 06:15 #204728 by Lambert
I couldn't live with the fuel consumption that you have with the fan locked so found time for another go round. The 6000 is very much as the 8000 ie mostly locked most of the time but it is possible to slow the fan but not stop it with a paper roll. So went to the 3000 and that is about perfect. It's stoppable but only with some effort but it is idling as there's no roaring when acceleration is applied. It's cycling the coolant temperature better too warmer cools and cooler warms if that makes sense. 86 to 91/2 in traffic. All this is with 3000 grade and nominally 5/8 of the front half of the assembly full of oil when horizontal.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
19 Mar 2019 12:36 #204802 by Lambert
Ha ha. I now have a mental image of Salvador Dali clocks but as dog faces!

Time to create page: 0.188 seconds