BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Re:torque to weight ratio?

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Mar 2019 21:16 - 10 Mar 2019 21:17 #204428 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Re:torque to weight ratio?
"Its always power that is moving things. That's why your car doesn't accelerate through the garage wall when you torque up the wheel nuts"

Ok Busta, you can shoot me too. But that makes 0 sense to me.

EDIT: Aim for my heart please fella's. Make it quick ;-)
Last edit: 10 Mar 2019 21:17 by Andy2640.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2019 21:38 #204430 by kbike
Replied by kbike on topic torque to weight ratio?
My take FWIW:Less power/torque + suitable gearing is more value,in the real world,than high power to weight ratios.If you are competing in 1/4 mile drags the answer might be different.

2018 Jimny auto:allegedly the last "old" auto registered UK.

• AlexK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Mar 2019 23:23 #204436 by AlexK
Replied by AlexK on topic torque to weight ratio?

Andy2640 wrote: You can shoot me if im wrong, but shouldn't it be "send the torque and power down the path of . most, resistance.?

Imagine two hosepipes connected together to look like a T. Water pumped in from the bottom of the T will flow equally out of both sides of the top bar. If you put your finger over one end, the water just flows out of the other open end, since it’s easier for it do that than it is to force your finger away. That’s the path of least resistance.

Torque flows through an axle in exactly the same way as the water. If one wheel is in the air but the other is on the ground, it’s easier to spin the wheel in the air than it is to turn the wheel that’s on the ground, because to do that it has to move the vehicle.

The job of the brake LSD system is to mitigate the default behaviour of open diffs by applying the brake to the spinning wheel until it becomes easier to turn the other wheel instead.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
11 Mar 2019 04:17 #204440 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic torque to weight ratio?

AlexK wrote:

Andy2640 wrote: You can shoot me if im wrong, but shouldn't it be "send the torque and power down the path of . most, resistance.?

Imagine two hosepipes connected together to look like a T. Water pumped in from the bottom of the T will flow equally out of both sides of the top bar. If you put your finger over one end, the water just flows out of the other open end, since it’s easier for it do that than it is to force your finger away. That’s the path of least resistance.

Torque flows through an axle in exactly the same way as the water. If one wheel is in the air but the other is on the ground, it’s easier to spin the wheel in the air than it is to turn the wheel that’s on the ground, because to do that it has to move the vehicle.

The job of the brake LSD system is to mitigate the default behaviour of open diffs by applying the brake to the spinning wheel until it becomes easier to turn the other wheel instead.

What he said ^^^^^^^^^

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Lambert
    Registered
More
11 Mar 2019 06:14 - 11 Mar 2019 06:32 #204442 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:torque to weight ratio?

Andy2640 wrote: "Its always power that is moving things. That's why your car doesn't accelerate through the garage wall when you torque up the wheel nuts"

Ok so, power is the metric of applying force over time. Eg horse power is the amount of time it takes one horse to lift a given mass vertically over a given distance. More horses mean the same mass is moved the same distance in less time or that more mass could be moved by one horse in a greater time.

Torque is the metric of applying force over distance . Eg being able to move a given mass at a given distance hence Newton meters and pounds feet.

I can easily apply the maximum torque that a Jimny motor can directly to a wheel using a socket and breaker bar against a wheel nut but I can't apply that same force over enough time to be able to launch the car through the wall of the garage.

The motor applies its 100 Nm of torque every revolution once it's running and into it's torque curve and I can match that for one rev but the motor also performs upto 6500 revolutions a minute, I have no chance of matching that level of force over that duration.

Last edit: 11 Mar 2019 06:32 by Lambert.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
11 Mar 2019 07:06 #204443 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:torque to weight ratio?
Oh and that doesn't take into account the torque multiplying done between the crank and the wheels by the gear train.

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Mar 2019 18:21 #204455 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Re:torque to weight ratio?

Lambert wrote:

Andy2640 wrote: "Its always power that is moving things. That's why your car doesn't accelerate through the garage wall when you torque up the wheel nuts"

Ok so, power is the metric of applying force over time. Eg horse power is the amount of time it takes one horse to lift a given mass vertically over a given distance. More horses mean the same mass is moved the same distance in less time or that more mass could be moved by one horse in a greater time.

Torque is the metric of applying force over distance . Eg being able to move a given mass at a given distance hence Newton meters and pounds feet.

I can easily apply the maximum torque that a Jimny motor can directly to a wheel using a socket and breaker bar against a wheel nut but I can't apply that same force over enough time to be able to launch the car through the wall of the garage.

The motor applies its 100 Nm of torque every revolution once it's running and into it's torque curve and I can match that for one rev but the motor also performs upto 6500 revolutions a minute, I have no chance of matching that level of force over that duration.

Education is a wonderful thing. Great stuff!!

Thanks guys!

Time to create page: 0.123 seconds