BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Under sealing

• Cremator1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Mar 2019 19:16 #204072 by Cremator1
Under sealing was created by Cremator1
Hi all after a bit of advice this spring or summer want to get undersealing done. Don’t know if I should do it myself or pay to get it done. We have a compressor but not sure how easy it would be to do or what bits you should not underseal I live near Canterbury Kent anyone know any one around that area that does it had a look there a few but wondered if anyone used any of them.many thanks dawn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2019 22:41 #204076 by kirkynut
Replied by kirkynut on topic Under sealing
Look up a company called 'Before and After'. I think they have a few places around the country. Cost it up and look at posts on here and other Forums with a Google search and then cost up doing it yourself.

It's a horrible job though!

Kirkynut

The underdog often starts the fight, and occasionally the upper dog deserves to win - Edgar Watson Howe.

My Jimny Thread Here: www.bigjimny.com/index.php/forum/8-my-ji...on-continues?start=0

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Mar 2019 23:02 #204078 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic Under sealing

kirkynut wrote: Look up a company called 'Before and After'. I think they have a few places around the country. Cost it up and look at posts on here and other Forums with a Google search and then cost up doing it yourself.

It's a horrible job though!

Kirkynut

I wouldn't use that company IMO. Just my opinion. Just google them: Terrible feedback from multiple forums. I was tipped off by a fellow forum member. I had a friend use them and it went ok, but it pales into oblivion when looking at customer feedback.

Weird timing, I have only just posted about them! In fact that's really surreal.

More
03 Mar 2019 23:05 - 03 Mar 2019 23:41 #204079 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Under sealing
It's not a hard job to do but as Kirknut said it is a messy job.
It helps if you can get the Jimny higher in the air, ramps under all wheels or similar gives enough room.
As you have a compressor the other bits are available from Machine Mart or similar places.
Gun and stone chip, but you can pay less / more, just an example:-

www.machinemart.co.uk/p/clarke-cub3-under-body-seal-gun/
www.machinemart.co.uk/p/gravitex-plus-hs-stone-chip-protector/

You can spray it on anything but in general avoid things that move, rotate or get hot.

Having said that I am not a fan of just spraying underseal to cover up rust. A better option (just my opinion) is to spray black (not clear) Waxoyl after treating any rust with a rust converter. Underseal or stone chip is only good in stone chip areas IMHO. For inner box sectionos etc use Dinatrol cans with the application Lance, expensive but better than Waxoyl in these areas.

Would I pay to have it done?

No, it's expensive and the time constraints of professional firms can lead to "chuck it on, cover it up and give it back asap" application methods.
It's time consuming and messy, but if you do it yourself you know it's done correctly.

Ps The same machine mart gun with empty underseal can (used as a reservoir) can be used to spray neat Waxoyl.

PPS What ever you apply the vehicle needs to be 100% dry and free from mud etc. It may require a few sunny days after a good jet wash underneath to dry it out. Another reason not to use firms, how do they dry it before application as they only want the vehicle for a day ??

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 03 Mar 2019 23:41 by Scimike.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
04 Mar 2019 06:15 #204081 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Under sealing
On the whole stone chip coatings are actually porous and are designed to protect the underlying paint treatment against abrasion damage and not as a anti corrosion measure. If applied to a failed corrosion coating they can actually make it worse.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
04 Mar 2019 09:03 - 04 Mar 2019 09:20 #204084 by Scimike
Replied by Scimike on topic Under sealing
^^^^Did not know that, but it explains why I have seen underseal cause (or hide) more problems than it cures.

These are the anti rust treatments applied to our 2009. Not saying it's the best as everyone will have their own methods, but it gives you an idea of the work involved:-

1) Any visible rust attacked with a wire brush / power file to remove loose or old underseal in area.
2) Rust then treated with Hamerite Rust Treatment (back to black type).
3) Treated areas overpainted with RPC rust encapsulation primer.
4) If underseal removed in step 1 underseal re-applied to area.
5) If part originally black RCP over painted with black enamel (only applies to axles and anti-roll bar).
6) Complete underside of vehicle sprayed with Black Waxoyl.
7) Any box sections etc treated with Dinatrol cavity wax, I used 4 cans.

It took 3 days to complete last year and I was lucky enough to have a few weeks warm and sunny weather to get it all dry.
I removed the front and rear bumpers plus any underbody plastic trim to allow better access to hidden body parts.
This will give you your first views of the front (under headlamp) body mounting points. These are rot spots and mine had started to go, one side required a welded repair. I was shocked at how poor Suzuki's anti rust prevention is, so very happy I spent the time on ours before it gets any worse.

We are assuming rust prevention is your goal?

Mike

Yokohama Geolanders, Sony head unit, NAUTILUS Air Horn, DRL conversion, Rear cargo space, Elvis Bobblehead, transfer Guard, Indian hanging Elephant, Koni Heavy track dampers, Custom SS exhaust, Voodoo Doll, Adventure Rack with LED ight bar, vintage ERIBA caravan usually attached (yes it's slow)
Last edit: 04 Mar 2019 09:20 by Scimike.

More
05 Mar 2019 10:21 #204132 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Under sealing
Look at buzzweld.co.uk
They have companies dotted around not the cheapest but probably the best

• Cremator1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 Mar 2019 17:04 #204147 by Cremator1
Replied by Cremator1 on topic Under sealing
Hi all thank you yes was thinking of buzzweld

More
05 Mar 2019 18:55 #204151 by ZT260
Replied by ZT260 on topic Under sealing
PCM in Cheltenham seem to get good feedback in various quarters like mini forums etc. Not used them myself though.

More
06 Mar 2019 13:58 #204196 by Bosanek
Replied by Bosanek on topic Under sealing
A while ago I wrote a dedicated wiki article on the topic of underbody rust remedy and prevention, to the best of my current knowledge.

One thing about this topic is certain - there are dozen wrong ways to do it and only a couple of correct ways. The other certain thing is that some methods which appear quite OK can actually make the situation even worse in the long term.

I hope that it contributes to the awareness of this.

• Cremator1
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Mar 2019 17:07 #204200 by Cremator1
Replied by Cremator1 on topic Under sealing
Hi thank you will have a read

More
06 Mar 2019 21:33 #204210 by Bob1050
Replied by Bob1050 on topic Under sealing
My tuppence worth - Every time I see underseal on a vehicle I wonder "What 'cowboy' applied it and what is hiding underneath the coated surface"?

It's topic that folk can become quite emotive over and if done correctly (thorough surface preparation and application) can be an asset. On the other hand I have personally seen it used to cover a multitude of defects and seduce a buyer into thinking they are purchasing a sound vehicle with a long lifespan - when in reality the vehicle is fit for the crusher.

I've done a few DIY applications in the height of a sunny summer - rather messy, not technically difficult and I knew it was a thorough job (because I did it). Cleaned the underside thoroughly (including equally thoroughly drying off/out over a couple of very hot days) and sprayed with old fashioned Waxoyl - including flooding box sections on the chassis and avoiding exhaust system and brakes. After 18 - 24 months I 'topped up' a few areas where needed and after that it was just an occasional squirt where tall vegetation or debris had made contact with the chassis legs.

Time to create page: 0.163 seconds