BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

OBD1 OR OBD2 code reader for this vin

More
03 Mar 2019 12:08 - 03 Mar 2019 12:24 #204050 by Dirtbird
Ok none of this is to offend or take away form any of the real hard work anyone has carried out to remove rust but im cheap so lets roll........
thelatebay.com/index.php?threads/homemade-waxoyl.33278/ saw this and looked at a lot of rust converter.

So I got busy.

No lift so I will make do.

Washed it.......

So I needed a cheap rust converter and went with this www.glanbiaconnect.com/shop/product/Deosan-Descale-5L/9085080
So ordered this milking parlor descale er which is around 20% Phosphoric Acid arrived the next day for less than €25 I have 5 lts of rust busting magic.

So i got a small squirt er bottle and applied about 1 ltr of Acid and let it dry for 24 hrs

The white areas is where the rust got converted

Now one of the many down sides to my cunning plan is I will have to drop the jimny and tilt it onto the other side . And it rained the following day so I have to move the whole plan into the shed.

So after repeating all of the above yesterday I had some spare time and knocked out a set of farming grade rock sliders......
welded on I plan to spray the under body with an farm shed oxide paint.

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.
Attachments:
Last edit: 03 Mar 2019 12:24 by Dirtbird.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
03 Mar 2019 13:42 #204052 by sniper
Love it, all power to you mate...

sniper

More
03 Mar 2019 18:15 #204063 by Max Headroom
Good Grief!

Was that safe??

Excellent ingenuity though - top marks!

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

More
03 Mar 2019 19:09 #204069 by Dirtbird
Got the idea here looking at car tilters www.cjautosheywood.co.uk/tilters.shtml

We used to do this when we would break down during trials ,a group would gather round and we would tilt the jeep on to its side with a bush of gorse or up against a ditch never damaged a panel.

Heavy Duty Transfer Box Brackets, 2-inch Black Raptor lift kit, caster adjusters, Rust removed and stich welded new sections. Galvanised Chassis. Body,Engine,transmission swap. Anti Rollbar Roll / Sway Bar / DAVES ARB disconnect kit.Osram Night Breaker Head light mod and white 501 led side lights.

More
04 Mar 2019 20:39 #204123 by Dirtbird
And then this happened

Murphy's law................

Attachments:

More
06 Mar 2019 21:49 #204213 by Bob1050

Dirtbird wrote: And then this happened

Murphy's law................

Ooops! Bet you didn't expect that to happen. From the pictures above - tell us a little more about your tractor - looks like I'm not the only Jimny owner on the Forum who also drives tractor.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dirtbird

More
15 Nov 2020 15:15 #230057 by Dirtbird
Right someeeeeeeeeee time later I’m back at it .Thanks Martin.!

The following user(s) said Thank You: Riccy

More
15 Nov 2020 16:37 - 15 Nov 2020 16:39 #230061 by Dirtbird
So started welding . Can I start by advising any one planning to learn how to weld car panels to get a door from the scrap yard for material and to flatten a copper pipe and make a copper welders spoon . Google it shows you how to fill holes and blow outs . My welding ain’t pretty and neither am I but it seems to be holding strong.

Attachments:
Last edit: 15 Nov 2020 16:39 by Dirtbird.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Riccy

More
15 Nov 2020 17:23 #230064 by Dirtbird

The following user(s) said Thank You: jackonlyjack, Riccy

More
16 Nov 2020 18:30 - 16 Nov 2020 18:32 #230117 by Dirtbird
OK I have to accept the possibility of some graft so I need some advice

My Jimny is 2004 years old. It's a B43V variant and 5MT version. A 2-inch spring and shock lift and most importantly 41 k miles on the clock and was the main reason to buy plus it was the older 4x4 gearbox manual shift. Bought it in January 2019 in Peebles in Scotland online. Saw it online booked 2 flights and was in Edinburgh on 06/01/2019 at 8 am in the morning. The Owner picked us (My self and my eldest 14yr old son )up from the Airport and was very honest on the Phone. So didn't do too much hanging around gave him the asking(£900) plus 60 for picking us up. Decent guy Bob thanks.

We had what can only be described as one of the biggest laughs a father and son can have, strange land strange roads, and one of the most beautiful cross country spins I've had in a long time.
Peebles to Stranraer through the Galloway National Park what a route.

Anyway, I've decided I'm going back and I am starting to get the Jimny ready for our NCT your MOT and was reading the Jimny Wiki s (excellent resource and well done to all involved) and need some underbody advice.
I want to keep it looking reserved like this Jimny.

It's got a 2-inch spring and shock lift.
I know it's going to need at least the following. Can you advise what else I should replace under the body

Jimny Super Pro Castor Correction Bushes
Jimny rear shock repositioners/spacers

Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Nov 2020 18:32 by Dirtbird.

More
16 Nov 2020 19:04 #230118 by jackonlyjack
If you have removed the anti roll bar or have a disconnect fitted
Then get extended brake lines
Also the rear brake line (standard) may become tight under articulation
If this is happening 1.you can leave un clipped on chassis end OR
get one from motor factors with same ends a little longer
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dirtbird

More
16 Nov 2020 19:09 - 16 Nov 2020 19:11 #230119 by Dirtbird
Jackonlyjack thanks fella appreciate at the tip. Going to re read your build you did do a mountain of work on that Jimny.

Thanks again. J

Last edit: 16 Nov 2020 19:11 by Dirtbird.

Time to create page: 0.181 seconds