BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

All Terrain Tyre Comparisons

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Apr 2019 14:17 #205999 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic All Terrain Tyre Comparisons
Thank you Guy. That's really helpful and you've clearly gone to great lengths to get it all. I for one really appreciate it mate.

Still the toyo's for me.

Cheers.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Guy 2
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Apr 2019 15:54 #206005 by Guy 2
Replied by Guy 2 on topic All Terrain Tyre Comparisons
Thanks Andy.

Given that you are looking for "less dinky" tyres I don't think you will be sorry about the 215/75 Toyos.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
13 Apr 2019 17:47 - 14 Apr 2019 05:41 #206014 by Lambert
**** this post was made as a response to a deleted message advocating for using a 165.80r15 tyre as a simple way to lower a Jimny ****

You will do well to take it steadily if you fit something that narrow on a very short wheelbase rear wheel drive truck. It will probably under steer first before snapping into over steer especially on wet tarmac. It is also highly likely that it will spin the rears very easily. I would suggest looking for a lower aspect ratio rather than a narrower tread width. When I get my 16s I am looking at something like 225.50r16 for circuit use or maybe even a 225.40r16. They will decimate the top speed but will do wonders for turn in and acceleration.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
Last edit: 14 Apr 2019 05:41 by Lambert. Reason: I didn't quote the original post I was responding to.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
13 Apr 2019 17:53 #206015 by Lambert
Also I would be using the tyres I mentioned in a non public road in a controlled environment where any unanticipated events are only really affecting a very limited number of people primarily myself. I would be reluctant to use them for public roads.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
13 Apr 2019 22:00 #206025 by Gadget
Replied by Gadget on topic All Terrain Tyre Comparisons
Great work Guy. That's a big difference from stock to the G015s in 215, with 14kg more unsprung mass, no wonder the performance feels blunted. I'm half tempted to switch back to the stock H/Ts........but the G015s do look good! :laugh:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Guy 2

• cyberdriver
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Apr 2019 23:49 #206026 by cyberdriver
Replied by cyberdriver on topic All Terrain Tyre Comparisons
Not only unsprung, but rotational mass - if all the tyre weight was at the circumference (and most of it is), then the weight is effectively doubled for accelerating and braking, so really worth going light if poss.

It's also another 18KG (including the spare) chewing into your GVM.

Given how light the Jimny is compared to what these tyres are designed for, the Toyo in 215 looks great. Unfortunately not available in Aus, so I'm looking at the Falken Wildpeak A/T01
www.falken.com.au/product/wildpeak-at/
Does anyone have experience or an opinion on these?

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Apr 2019 07:17 #206032 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic All Terrain Tyre Comparisons
Morning all,

Great thread this.

So are we saying that the Toyo's in 215 will have a negligible effect on performance?

• Guy 2
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Apr 2019 11:18 #206052 by Guy 2
Good to see someone with the same sense of humour.

My other half says people don't know what I'm talking about half the time. But sometime this means I can sneak a joke in under the radar - then, of course, I just get "The Look"!

• Guy 2
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Apr 2019 11:28 #206053 by Guy 2

cyberdriver wrote: Not only unsprung, but rotational mass - if all the tyre weight was at the circumference (and most of it is), then the weight is effectively doubled for accelerating and braking, so really worth going light if poss.

It's also another 18KG (including the spare) chewing into your GVM.

Given how light the Jimny is compared to what these tyres are designed for, the Toyo in 215 looks great. Unfortunately not available in Aus, so I'm looking at the Falken Wildpeak A/T01
www.falken.com.au/product/wildpeak-at/
Does anyone have experience or an opinion on these?

There didn't seem to be so much interest in the Falken when we started this topic - so I left it off my list (had to leave some tyres off just in terms of numbers). If, cyberdriver, you decide to go ahead I'd be very interested if you could get the weight from your supplier - and we can then add it to the list for everyone.

In the meantime I don't know whether you will have seen the following:

On the basis of experience, this bloke seems to think they are as strong as BFG K02s ("Heresy" I hear people shouting in the background). This may mean they are heavy though.

• Guy 2
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
14 Apr 2019 11:47 #206055 by Guy 2

Andy2640 wrote:
So are we saying that the Toyo's in 215 will have a negligible effect on performance?

Andy, I think this is an almost unanswerable question. One man's "negligible" is another man's "significant". Short of getting The Stig to drive the Jimny round and round Dunsfold on different tyres (now there's an idea!), we are never going to know in objective terms.

I can only think in simple terms - but I guess what we could say is that between two tyres with roughly similar tread patterns, an increase in weight for one tyre of 2 kg, all other things being equal, will have approximately half the adverse impact of another tyre with an increase of 4 kg.

Having said that a brainy person will now prove me wrong!

"There is no such thing as a free lunch."

More
14 Apr 2019 13:35 #206063 by stiffsteve204me

Guy 2 wrote:

Andy2640 wrote:

Andy, I think this is an almost unanswerable question. One man's "negligible" is another man's "significant". Short of getting The Stig to drive the Jimny round and round Dunsfold on different tyres (now there's an idea!), we are never going to know in objective terms.

I can only think in simple terms - but I guess what we could say is that between two tyres with roughly similar tread patterns, an increase in weight for one tyre of 2 kg, all other things being equal, will have approximately half the adverse impact of another tyre with an increase of 4 kg.

Having said that a brainy person will now prove me wrong!

"There is no such thing as a free lunch."

There must be an effect, of course. Good, bad, noticeable? Who knows, until they are tested.

I would be very wary of adding 4-5 kg. to each corner ( plus a spare, hanging off the back end), and not expect a negative effect, in some aspect of driving the vehicle, especially in a vehicle with not a lot of BHP to spare.

It's all a can of worms. :ohmy:

"Having said that a brainy person will now prove me wrong!"

Hook. Am. Off. I. The.

Re-arrange, to suit. :laugh:

Steve.

“He that strikes the venison first shall be the lord o' the feast.” — Shakespeare, King Lear.

• Guy 2
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Apr 2019 21:57 #206162 by Guy 2

stiffsteve204me wrote: Hook. Am. Off. I. The.

Re-arrange, to suit. :laugh:

Steve.

Good one!

Time to create page: 0.150 seconds