BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

More expense.

More
20 Feb 2019 20:54 #203565 by adrianr
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
20 Feb 2019 21:09 #203567 by Daniel30
Replied by Daniel30 on topic More expense.
Good news, fingers crossed

• Lambert
  • Lambert's Avatar Topic Author
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
21 Feb 2019 05:27 #203571 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic More expense.
Thanks.
She is back on the road which is good but I'm not sure about the thermostat. It's a circoli one and does cross reference correctly along with a fiat and a couple of other vehicles but somehow I'm not happy. It wasn't as tight a fit as the original but sufficiently close to seat without a gap and to seal. I oriented it correctly with the bypass hole to the top. It was new in box. It's just that now she's taking longer than expected to warm up and isn't really running warm enough in general driving but then is warning up and cooling down quite quickly? To quantify the above statement. Previously from cold she was at 85 ish within a mile and a halfand would idle at that for a few minutes while collecting my passenger, now on the same journey she's at 75 and climbs to 83 while waiting. Then on the return journey she wouldn't get to more than 91 if I had to sit in traffic. Now she varies between 70 and 93 depending on traffic but as soon as I start to move the 90+ drops very quickly? I would have expected to see the temperature climb a little quicker and maintain around thermostat opening within a couple of degrees not be varying 10 degrees either way?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Lambert
    Registered
More
21 Feb 2019 06:04 #203574 by Lambert
Another thought. It's not inconceivable that the better designed impeller blades on the new pump could have a noticeable effect on speed at which the temperature drops? But that shouldn't have a bearing on the actual operating temperature just how well it's controlled?

More
21 Feb 2019 08:57 #203577 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic More expense.
The temperature in normal use will have a "window" of operation. This window has a number of variables........

Static air temp
Barometric pressure
Humidity
Cooling air flow from the fan
Cooling air flow from forward movement
Fuel quality
Coolant quality
Coolant flow
Coolant pressure
Air/fuel ratio
Ignition timing
Under bonnet temperature
Engine oil quality
Engine load (rpm / torque load)

So many variables that it is very difficult to actually find a "normal" point of use.

Combustion is a very fickle process and can deliver vastly different temperatures with tiny changes in parameter.

The new pump / thermostat / flush / coolant change should be enough to move that window down the temperature range and change the system enough for you to notice a difference in how the car feels, in use.

On a performance engine, those changes would be enough to need a session on the rollers. The "tune" would need fine adjustment to deal with the changes in block temperature. A cooler engine generally means more power can be had.

sniper

• Lambert
    Registered
More
21 Feb 2019 09:23 #203579 by Lambert
I appreciate all that and if it were a matter of 2 or 4 degrees I would be fine with it. However a running temperature drop of between 10 and 12 degrees is significant and not just a tolerance issue. Something is out of whack, the thermostat being a prime candidate

More
21 Feb 2019 19:01 - 21 Feb 2019 19:01 #203601 by adrianr
Replied by adrianr on topic More expense.
It has to be the thermostat.

I know it’s a mission - I think I would be taking it out and making doubly sure it is the correct one and fitted properly. It is possible to fit it the wrong way around? You did say you weren't happy with it not being as snug.

Not saying you haven't fitted it properly Lambert, just thinking about 2 years back when I had to have three goes at getting my daughters mk4 golf replacement thermostat to seat properly so it would hold temp. Thankfully it was easily accessible but was a real head-scratcher for me. First time I have had trouble doing a thermostat.

Good luck.
Last edit: 21 Feb 2019 19:01 by adrianr.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
21 Feb 2019 19:08 #203602 by Lambert
The more I have used it today the more and more I have been thinking it's behaviour is like it doesn't have a thermostat. Except i know for a fact that I put one in. I have a genuine one to collect tomorrow, after that it's getting a box of matches and a gallon of petrol!

More
21 Feb 2019 19:14 #203603 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic More expense.
Don't get frustrated mate, you'll find the solution without the need for pyro......

I'm having a mare with silly suspension problems, just enough to spoil my enjoyment but not enough to stop use.

Very frustrating...

sniper

More
21 Feb 2019 19:29 #203604 by adrianr
Replied by adrianr on topic More expense.
I'm sure it will soon be back to its hardworking reliable self.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
21 Feb 2019 19:50 #203606 by Lambert
Sorry. It's just I'm irritated that I couldn't find an obvious cause for the initial problem and I'm exasperated at it having essentially being reworked entirely and still being wrong and vexed that it's taken nearly a week of my time to only get this far.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
22 Feb 2019 05:46 #203645 by Lambert
Just for my sanity does anyone have a route map of the m13a cooling system showing what goes where and in which direction and so on? Because if the genuine thermostat doesn't fix it I'm taking the whole circuit In bits and flushing each element separately cos I'm out of options. It shouldn't be this difficult!

Time to create page: 0.162 seconds