BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

NEW Jimny TYRE choice discussion.

More
11 Feb 2019 08:37 #202979 by Busta

Andy2640 wrote:
I'd love the 235's!!! Very cool prospect. However wont they take the Jim over the 5% warranty rule? Sorry im naff with maths.

Thanks.

5.9% bigger, so yes but only just :( . I'm sure I read somewhere that a dealer in Australia is selling cars with them fitted and still warrantied.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Feb 2019 14:00 #202995 by saxj

Busta wrote: Gadget- 30 still sounds very high. I run 21psi in my same-sized BFGoodrich. With a larger volume tyre you expect to run lower pressures, so I'd certainly not have them any higher than the standard tyres.

Given the cars are so similar, suitable tyres will be no different to those widely discussed for the gen3. BFG All- and Mud-terrains, Yokohama Geolanders, Goodyear Wranglers, Toyo Open Country, Kumho KL71s all offer different levels of aggressiveness and cover a variety of price points.

Sizing wise, 195/80r15 or 215/75r15 will preserve good road manners and keep gearing standard. However, looking at pictures there's a good chance 235/75r15s will fit without issue. They are a much more popular tyre size amongst 4x4s which opens up a wider choice of tyres, often cheaper than their smaller equivalents.

235's don't fit without a lift. Biggest that fits without rubbing is 215/80R15

• muto
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Feb 2019 15:17 #203000 by muto
Replied by muto on topic NEW Jimny TYRE choice discussion.
I have some rubbing in my stock Jimny with 215/75R15 and Hankook RF10s. Luckily only when four persons in the car and driving to potholes.

More
11 Feb 2019 15:29 #203002 by Gadget

muto wrote: I have some rubbing in my stock Jimny with 215/75R15 and Hankook RF10s. Luckily only when four persons in the car and driving to potholes.

Is that a Gen3 car though? Gen4s seem a bit roomier in the arches.

More
11 Feb 2019 18:28 #203016 by Busta

saxj wrote:
235's don't fit without a lift. Biggest that fits without rubbing is 215/80R15

Interesting. I assumed from the pictures that there is much more room in the arches than the Gen3 but it appears not!

• muto
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Feb 2019 18:59 #203019 by muto
Replied by muto on topic NEW Jimny TYRE choice discussion.
Yeah, it's 3gen. Forgot to mention that. Many say that this size is ok for 3gen, but seems that not exactly true if the tire is more aggresive.

• Matt
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Feb 2019 03:25 #203037 by Matt
Replied by Matt on topic NEW Jimny TYRE choice discussion.
So has anyone tried 235/75 tyres on a Gen 4 Jimny yet and can share their experience? I'm getting a new Jimny later this week and I'm planning to swap the tyres for KO2's but I'm still unsure about the size. 215/75 seems like the safe choice, but I read in a magazine here in OZ you can legally put 235/75 on the stock rims. What I'm trying to find out is whether they fit well without a lift.

• cyberdriver
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Feb 2019 04:35 #203038 by cyberdriver
Replied by cyberdriver on topic NEW Jimny TYRE choice discussion.
Yeah I took a demo for a spin with 235/75 RF10 AT-Ms. It took the fun out of the on-road performance - noticeably slower to accelerate, and quicker to slow down that the originals, but I didn't check the tyre pressures. BFGoodrich say you legally need minimum of 6" rims for 235/75 (I asked them) but it might vary by state. imo 235 are total overkill for the mass of the vehicle, and look a bit ridiculous when you realise it has solid axles and a retro look. I would look at 215/75 and 215/80 - on original rims and no lift required. The dealer's not going to give you anything for the original tyres so you might as well start with them and get a feel for them as your baseline (while you're running it in) before you upgrade and start hammering the engine and drivetrain.

• Andy2640
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Feb 2019 17:58 #203057 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic NEW Jimny TYRE choice discussion.

Matt wrote: So has anyone tried 235/75 tyres on a Gen 4 Jimny yet and can share their experience? I'm getting a new Jimny later this week and I'm planning to swap the tyres for KO2's but I'm still unsure about the size. 215/75 seems like the safe choice, but I read in a magazine here in OZ you can legally put 235/75 on the stock rims. What I'm trying to find out is whether they fit well without a lift.

Hi Matt, congrats on the new Jimy!

Remember the 5% rule regarding warranty too. I'm going to go with 215/75/15.

What colour you chosen then?

• cyberdriver
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
12 Feb 2019 21:04 #203068 by cyberdriver
Replied by cyberdriver on topic NEW Jimny TYRE choice discussion.
Is the 5% rule in the small print in the warranty (in the service booklet)?

• Generation4
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Feb 2019 10:27 - 13 Feb 2019 10:29 #203099 by Generation4
Replied by Generation4 on topic NEW Jimny TYRE choice discussion.
Hello,

Looking to buy a Jimny 4th gen this year.

Been informing myself on various topics.

Apparently, this new General Grabber X3 outperforms even the BFG MT KO2, and it's available in 215/75R15.

Here's the link :
www.tyrepress.com/2018/03/lro-magazine-p...rrain-tyre-shootout/
Attachments:
Last edit: 13 Feb 2019 10:29 by Generation4. Reason: Imagelink didn't show picture, so added it in attachement directly from dir.

• G-imny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Feb 2019 12:52 #203112 by G-imny
Replied by G-imny on topic NEW Jimny TYRE choice discussion.
Thanks for the article, interesting read and result.

Just to clarify, it’s the BFG MT KM2 not KO2. I think the KO2 is the all terrain tyre?

Time to create page: 0.141 seconds