BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Chinese E-Locker

• zukebob
  • zukebob's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • Manila, Philippines
More
10 Feb 2019 07:53 #202889 by zukebob
Chinese E-Locker was created by zukebob
I'm not sure if any of the owners of the new Jimny would be interested in these. Since Harrop Eaton apparently aren't going to make them for the Jimny, I was going to be a guinea pig with my Gen3. They have both front and rear.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
10 Feb 2019 10:56 #202893 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Chinese E-Locker
If you do decide to try these out keep us posted on your findings :)

Jack

• TaterTot
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
10 Feb 2019 12:23 #202895 by TaterTot
Replied by TaterTot on topic Chinese E-Locker
Oh yes, keep us updated on this project of yours.

Only thing I would suggest you do is swap out as much for the cabling as you can, ans shrink wrap the ones that can't just be replaced. Reason is a lit of cheap Chinese cabling, often use a pretty fragile jacket.

My favorite Chinese cabling failure was when a 1800 lumen head lamp shorted (with a massive external battery pack), while strapped to my noggin. Holy potato did that make for a couple of interesting seconds in my life.

More
10 Feb 2019 16:20 #202908 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Chinese E-Locker
Do you have a link for these?

More
  • zukebob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • Manila, Philippines
More
11 Feb 2019 00:23 #202955 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic Chinese E-Locker
Or this one if you want the English version: JB74 E-Locker . The fact that they list a separate E-Locker for the JB74 and JB23/33/43 was a little surprising. Either the differentials are different or the company simply wants to attract the new Jimny crowd. I suspect the later.

Jack and Tater Tot: If nobody beats me to it, I will definitely give some feedback on how these perform. Unfortunately it won't be for a while. My focus right now is dealing with some health issues. I honestly haven't done anything to or with my Jimny for a while now. I haven't even been on the forum much. Hopefully that will change in 3 or 4 months.

Tater Tot: Completely agree on the Chinese wiring. They use extremely poor quality wire. I don't worry too much as I tend to make my own harnesses anyway.

More
11 Feb 2019 08:54 #202981 by Busta
Replied by Busta on topic Chinese E-Locker
Thanks Jack and Bob.
It's interesting that they say it operates like a Torsen LSD when not locked. That's pretty cool, but people have been known to call Lockrites and Kaiser lockers 'LSD's which makes me sceptical of any such claims. The paired bolt pattern suggests there's more going on inside than just an open diff though, quite possibly the helical worm gears of a Torsen. Not cheap enough for me right now unfortunately!

• TomDK
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Feb 2019 19:47 #203023 by TomDK
Replied by TomDK on topic Chinese E-Locker
But..

Looks to me like it's the same price as genuine ARB lockers in continental europe. Which makes it totally uninteresting in my mind.

• zukebob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • Manila, Philippines
More
04 Aug 2019 01:33 #211793 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic Chinese E-Locker
Well....received yesterday. I'm currently looking for a shop that does locker installs.

The only things I can confirm right now are that the workmanship seems to be high quality and it is a helical gear LSD.

Looks just like the box on the web page.......I'm used to them arriving looking like the shipper took a hammer to it

As mentioned, I will assemble my own cables and connectors.

Attachments:

• HeinrichC
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Aug 2019 05:32 #211797 by HeinrichC
Replied by HeinrichC on topic Re:Chinese E-Locker
Does the kit include new carrier bearings?

• zukebob
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
    Registered
  • Manila, Philippines
More
06 Aug 2019 01:33 #211865 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic Re:Chinese E-Locker
Heinrich:
No bearings. In truth, I probably wouldn't use them if they came with the locker. They would almost certainly be a 3rd party Chinese bearing. I will be using bearings from Suzuki.

As an update, I think I have found a trustworthy installer through the local Jimny club. I will provide an update when I have it finished.

• HeinrichC
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
06 Aug 2019 04:00 #211869 by HeinrichC
Replied by HeinrichC on topic Chinese E-Locker

zukebob wrote: Heinrich:
No bearings. In truth, I probably wouldn't use them if they came with the locker. They would almost certainly be a 3rd party Chinese bearing. I will be using bearings from Suzuki.

As an update, I think I have found a trustworthy installer through the local Jimny club. I will provide an update when I have it finished.

I am just thinking what you get in the kit for the money you paid.

Time to create page: 0.143 seconds