BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Jimny snow performance

• einhorn
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Feb 2019 16:06 #202447 by einhorn
Jimny snow performance was created by einhorn
Hi,
New to this forum and just the other day had an interesting and useful first drive on snow with my Suzuki Swift 4 x 4. Quite difficult conditions, long fairly steep gradients up and down but the most challenging conditions from other vehicles going slower so had to drop down a gear going uphill and going down trying to control speed in 1st whilst keeping a good distance from vehicle in front especially as lorries/vans coming uphill had little control so they had to "tack" to get up so had to avoid hitting them coming down.

So methinks when we replace our trusty old Yaris what about getting a Jimny. We do live at 740 ft in Hampshire and I am old enough to remember 1963 when I left school and just biked everywhere, snow, snow, freeze, freeze and no thaw for 3 months, So what happens if we get another 63.

Interested in what Jimny owners have to say who have recent experience in all types of snow conditions up and down hills including ice? Should add that in those far off days when money or lack of it was the main driving force had many Citroen Dyanes which valliently drove up on the M6 and Hardknot Pass etc so used to seat of the pants driving.
Also what depth of snow is the Jimny capable of driving through?

Many thanks.

Regards,

Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
03 Feb 2019 16:39 #202451 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Jimny snow performance
Welcome to the forum. With the right winter tyres a Jimny is exceptional in snow. Couple of years back we were drifted in with some taller than me . Those were an issue but the drifts up to the top of the lights were almost not there. Hard packed ice is always an issue for any car but if you're sensible there are very few places a Jimny won't get.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
03 Feb 2019 18:36 #202465 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Jimny snow performance
Hi Frank and welcome to the forums.

I've no personal experience (yet) I just missed out last year on the snow - but Im sure there are plenty of others here that can answer your questions admirably

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

More
03 Feb 2019 18:58 #202468 by Bob1050
Replied by Bob1050 on topic Jimny snow performance
Having spent yesterday driving across a variety of frozen surfaces (on and off-road) I am mightily impressed with performance of my standard, just out the box Jimny. Haven't been through snow above axle height but it was a steep descent on an ice covered track that impressed me most - especially as there's a 90 degree RH turn, steel farm gate and tractor ruts just to test the Jimny's (and drivers) capabilities. It all ended well - although today's drive was technically less challenging - we made it down to Morrison's supermarket.

• rappey
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Feb 2019 19:05 #202471 by rappey
Replied by rappey on topic Jimny snow performance
I would say its really about what tyres you have, and 4 wheel drive...
I know of a wide tyred auto merc estate with winter tyres that romped up a snowy slope that a range rover with normal road tyres could not !

Once the snow is much deeper than the axles then any vehicle will probably be brought to a halt as axles don't make very good snow ploughs

More
03 Feb 2019 20:32 #202486 by sniper
Replied by sniper on topic Jimny snow performance
Bomb proof with good tyres.....

Rescued two from each car in the top picture, Ford Ranger 4x4 on the right. I drove around all sorts of fancy "trucks" last year and my car was pretty much standard with BFG AT's. I would put a Jimny in the top 5% of cars in snow, always with the caveat that the driver is competent......

Flat snow to 8" was no problem, only bumper high drifts stopped it and then there was no issue with backing off and turning around.

sniper
Attachments:

• muto
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Feb 2019 20:36 - 03 Feb 2019 20:37 #202488 by muto
Replied by muto on topic Jimny snow performance

Bigger tires help a lot.
Last edit: 03 Feb 2019 20:37 by muto.

• OlaGB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
03 Feb 2019 20:43 - 06 Feb 2019 05:23 #202489 by OlaGB
Replied by OlaGB on topic Jimny snow performance
The jimny is really good at «getting up the hill» type of winter driving, and plows easily through very deep snow if its fresh/cold.

If you really get into real extreme amounts of snow, typically offroad with no grip to be found in the snow , try to go low on tire pressure, 0,7-0,8bar (or even sub 0.5 if you have air available to fill back up close by), 1. Gear low range at very slow speed, and carry on. :) Its light weight, so it floats if you go slow so tires can pack the snow well. Bigger wheels than stock improves this even more, diameter well as important as width when lowering pressure.

But stay in 4x4 on slippery surface , or its going to bite. Especially downhill. Light rear end, and extremly short wheelbase makes it fun for the experienced driver, but a bit tempremental for the unexperienced.

Good winter tires is a must for any car, for driving in snow/on ice in my opinion.

I have 23 norwegian winters experience in cars, alot of different cars.. Fwd, rwd, 4wd.
I love the jimny on winter roads in both 2wd and 4x4, but i would never send my girlfriend out to drive it in 2wd on snow. And mine`s running brand new quality stud winter tires. (She has no problems driving my 2012 Volvo V70 fwd in any condition.)
Last edit: 06 Feb 2019 05:23 by OlaGB. Reason: Tried to explain the extreme deep snow part a bit better..

More
03 Feb 2019 22:16 #202497 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Jimny snow performance
This is great info from someone that will know for sure what to do in snow Thank you OlaGB!

It's a personal thing borne out of years of working in aviation, but I don't care for using Bar at all - the units are too large to be accurate for my liking so a quick translation of OlaGB's values is...

0.5 Bar = 7.25 psi
0.7 Bar = 10.15 psi
0.8 Bar = 11.6 psi

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS

More
03 Feb 2019 23:08 #202502 by Keithy
Replied by Keithy on topic Jimny snow performance
Jimny is fine in snow......it's all the other road users you have to get around.

The following user(s) said Thank You: Gadget

More
04 Feb 2019 00:08 #202505 by helijohn
Replied by helijohn on topic Jimny snow performance

einhorn wrote: Hi,
New to this forum and just the other day had an interesting and useful first drive on snow with my Suzuki Swift 4 x 4.

Frank

Hello Frank.
It's interesting you have a Swift which is the allgrip isn't it. To my mind you have the best solution. If you intend to go mudplugging or some such that's where the Jimny reigns but for general daily driving I think permanent 4x4 is the way to go. For me the problem is that when we have snow is only part of the story as roads can be worthy of 4x4 under other less extreme conditions. Even in snow, there are times when the tarmac is dry.
I have had loads of fourbies, Landrover, Freelander, Lada, Jeep, Vitaras (many of those), Pajeros, Pinin, SJ413, LJ80, Jimny, Junior etc. and have come to the conclusion that today I don't like selectable 4x4. I drive my 3.5L Pajero always in 4x4 and yet strangely in my 2.5TD Pajero I rarely ever needed to use 4x4 except on fields etc. - it was unbeatable in snow!
So tell me what you don't like about your Swift please.

Do it right - use Hammerite
When the blue light is flashing I am kidding.

• OlaGB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
04 Feb 2019 07:45 #202516 by OlaGB
Replied by OlaGB on topic Jimny snow performance

Max Headroom wrote: This is great info from someone that will know for sure what to do in snow Thank you OlaGB!

It's a personal thing borne out of years of working in aviation, but I don't care for using Bar at all - the units are too large to be accurate for my liking so a quick translation of OlaGB's values is...

0.5 Bar = 7.25 psi
0.7 Bar = 10.15 psi
0.8 Bar = 11.6 psi

On larger tires you can even get away with as low as 4-5psi. But thats too low on normal tires.
Stay above 10psi if you need to drive at some speed. The tires sidewalls gets hot at low pressures, and might pop from the bead if not a bit careful.

Normally you dont need to lower pressures, its just for extreme amounts of snow in the terrain :)

Time to create page: 0.166 seconds