BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

New Jimny product manufacturer (with our own Jimny)

More
31 Jan 2019 10:08 #202175 by Busta

ParanoidIndustries wrote: We're only looking at parts for the current generation at the moment. We have so many parts in development for different marques that we currently don't have the time to look at other models etc.

That's a shame. There are about 25,000 Gen3 Jimnys on UK roads from the past 20 years of production with a well established overlander and adventure following and a big demand for bolt on accessories. It's unfortunate that you've taken this long to realise the potential of the Jimny, and then limited yourself to a market of, at present, just a few hundred vehicles.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• ParanoidIndustries
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Jan 2019 15:03 #202192 by ParanoidIndustries
Replied by ParanoidIndustries on topic New Jimny product manufacturer (with our own Jimny)
It's just not something we've looked at before, in all honesty. It doesn't mean it's not something we'd look at in the future if the demand was high enough.

We've been involved in overlanding worldwide for 10 years, and have Paranoid built vehicles and products in every corner of the globe. We've never been (to date) asked for any Jimny parts, but who knows what may come from our work on the new one.

Our products for the new model are going to be launched worldwide, not just in the UK, and with the (justifiable) popularity of the new model, we're confident our products will be exactly what owners need.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
31 Jan 2019 15:23 #202193 by Lambert
This is what we are up against in the Jimny world, there's literally just a handful of manufacturers catering for the vehicle and while I have nothing but praise for them they don't always offer us a lot of choice unless we go diy or professional custom. We have all scoured the internet many times looking for this or that but when we see a land rover version or a Toyota version on a web site and no mention of a Jimny, well most of us don't bother asking if one could be available we instead either forget that idea or look elsewhere. The point I'm trying to make is that there's a raft of gen3 owners who I'm sure would welcome some fresh products and a little bit more competition with open wallets.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Lambert
    Registered
More
31 Jan 2019 15:50 #202194 by Lambert
I'll give you an example. If i were to want led headlights on my gen3 I have two options fit led bulbs into the existing lamps which is dubiously legal or I can get some fairly ugly units from China for about 400quid. If there was someone making lamp buckets that fit gen3 apertures had an indicator and the facility to install a 7 inch led headlight of my choice like those available for the defender then I wouldn't be the only one forming a queue. There's other examples but you get the point.

• ParanoidIndustries
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Jan 2019 16:52 #202197 by ParanoidIndustries
Replied by ParanoidIndustries on topic New Jimny product manufacturer (with our own Jimny)

Lambert wrote: I'll give you an example. If i were to want led headlights on my gen3 I have two options fit led bulbs into the existing lamps which is dubiously legal or I can get some fairly ugly units from China for about 400quid. If there was someone making lamp buckets that fit gen3 apertures had an indicator and the facility to install a 7 inch led headlight of my choice like those available for the defender then I wouldn't be the only one forming a queue. There's other examples but you get the point.

That's actually a really good idea. Thing is, unless companies like us are told that there's a market for these items, we have no idea.

As I said, we're certainly open to looking at these things. Right now we have existing projects, and that won't change anytime soon, but I'll defnitely bring it up.

• Riccy
  • Banned
  • Banned
    Registered
  • J999 MNY Bashing around Carlisle
More
31 Jan 2019 18:56 #202208 by Riccy
Unfortunately most owners of the older models of jimny are 90% of the time after the cheapest way to get their goal, often buying questionable used parts or really cheap ways to 'give it a lift'.

Fortunately most of the people on this forum seem keen on doing things right and are willing to pay the extra bit for some decent quality kit :-) . There is clearly a market for a UK seller of such items, look at Jimnybits.com, they are doing pretty well by mostly reselling what little branded stuff is available, with a few bits of their own made stuff. There is plenty of room for some alternative thoughts on the bolt on accessory stuff. Webshop and international postage are essentials now if you want sales.

J999 MNY, ULYSSES M18 VVT with ITB's Dyno tested at 130hp

Pickup/tipper, R7me gearbox & 6.4 Rocklobster, 31" Toyo MT, 2x ARB air locker 3.9 diffs in braced axles, 6" total lift, Floating rear conversion, Raptor painted, CB, Recaro's, Caged, etc, etc...

www.youtube.com/user/riclemus

More
31 Jan 2019 19:12 #202210 by ZT260
Just read the latest news/blog on your site. Really looking forward to the adventures you have and the products you produce, but...

...that first paragraph of text just seems like sensationalised tabloid copy - do you have any evidence to back up the claims? (text copied in the italics below)

"
Suzuki’s brand new version of their Jimny has proven to be something of a hit for the Japanese manufacturer. With just 500 coming into the UK in year one, and all of those spoken for, if you haven’t ordered one you’ll be waiting two and a half years to collect yours now. It’s proven so popular in Japan that some are being quoted a delivery date of 2027! Some dealers have even closed their order books, knowing that they can’t keep up with demand. At some of the larger dealerships, the lone demonstrator model is booked out for test drives almost constantly for weeks
"

From searching this site and keeping up with news the situation seems more to be like the following:
It's been fairly well documented that there are to be 1100 cars in year 1 and over 2000 expected in year 2.

There are defintely some cars available at some dealers this year, so not quite a two and a half year wait.

Japan is publicised as more like 2-3 years, not quite 8 years.

Most dealers will put you on a waiting list until they know their future allocations, so technically not closed their order books.

Really interested to hear of dealers that have there demo booked out constantly for weeks, when it was previously claimed there are no cars and order books are closed!

As said originally I stand corrected if there are links to credible sources to back up the claims in the news item.
The following user(s) said Thank You: ParanoidIndustries

More
31 Jan 2019 20:07 #202214 by Busta

Riccy wrote: Unfortunately most owners of the older models of jimny are 90% of the time after the cheapest way to get their goal, often buying questionable used parts or really cheap ways to 'give it a lift'.

It's easy to get that impression, particularly from the Facebook groups where most people just want a cheap truck for messing about in. but considering people were still buying brand new gen3s barely a year ago I think there is a lot more depth to the market than that.

• Lambert
    Registered
More
31 Jan 2019 20:13 #202215 by Lambert
To add to that I would also suggest that while many may come here wanting to do things on the cheap we as seasoned users tend more often than not to be able to convert people to the merits of properly designed and manufactured components and generally doing things with a little bit more thought and consideration.

More
31 Jan 2019 20:20 #202216 by mlines
I can definitely confirm that demonstrators in some dealers are booked out for weeks ahead. In fact, is the first time ever that dealers have had to run a book for test drives

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• Daniel30
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
31 Jan 2019 20:50 #202219 by Daniel30
I would think a certain percentage of the new Jimny's will be on a 3 year payment plan (or similar) and at the end of that either pay the final payment or chop it in for a new one and taking into consideration the warranty on these new ones I think the Gen3 definitely has more of a marketing for mods?

More
31 Jan 2019 21:05 #202220 by Bob1050
Having bought a new Kinetic Yellow SZ5 my personal interest is in parts that function well, fit without reworking/fettling and are finished to a very high standard. I've seen too many third division after-market parts for Land Rovers at premier division prices over the years. Folk competing on how cheap they can make parts, lowest spec materials they can source and 'off-road' painting, plating or coating that will not survive a trip through a supermarket car wash without peeling, fading or wearing off. So if you can produce quality parts - I'm interested

Time to create page: 0.188 seconds