BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Old man emu suspension

• Kev H
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Jan 2019 20:33 #201956 by Kev H
Old man emu suspension was created by Kev H
Does anyone have Old Man Emu 40mm lift shocks and springs fitted to their jimny? I'm after your thoughts on the ride characteristics and if you were pleased or disappointed in them? Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
29 Jan 2019 04:53 #201974 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Old man emu suspension
I don't but from the few mentions they've had on here the seem to be well received?

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Kev H

More
29 Jan 2019 07:18 #201991 by zukebob
Replied by zukebob on topic Old man emu suspension
I have OME springs but not shocks.

They are a high quality spring but I am using diesel springs in the front which are a little firmer than I want. I will likely replace them with either the petrol springs or with the Trailmaster.

I started out with nothing & still have most of it left

More
29 Jan 2019 08:13 - 29 Jan 2019 08:15 #201993 by yakuza
Replied by yakuza on topic Old man emu suspension
I got the impression that Trailmaster is generally more often preferred over OME on the Jimny. Don't remember why/where but i think i read this in an old thread here. Couldn't find it now searching...
I had OME on my SJ and the shocks was not great, but the springs were wonderful and soft. But that was leafs so not comparable.

Norway 2005 Jimny M16A VVT, 235 BFG MT, 2" Trailmaster, ARB rear lck, 17%/87% high/low gears.
Last edit: 29 Jan 2019 08:15 by yakuza.

More
29 Jan 2019 09:00 - 29 Jan 2019 09:01 #202002 by adrianr
Replied by adrianr on topic Old man emu suspension
I had OME on my Landcruiser and they were really good.

When I was researching for the Jimny I was going to fit OME. I recall reading a few times the ride was a bit hard on OME and that Trailmaster was a better setup for the Jimny.

I fitted Trailmaster recently based on this and I am impressed. Nice on road and really comfortable and forgiving offroad.
Last edit: 29 Jan 2019 09:01 by adrianr.

• Kev H
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Jan 2019 09:26 #202006 by Kev H
Replied by Kev H on topic Old man emu suspension
Thanks for the replies chaps, I had OME on my defender and whilst I was very pleased with it I did find the ride a little hard. I do think that I had the heavy duty springs supplied and not the medium duty that I ordered. The landy was stripped pretty bare and probably added to the problem of the heavy duty springs. I gave the shocks and springs some abuse and they never missed a beat which is why I was keen to fit them to my new toy. I was intending to order them today but now the trailmaster has been thrown into the mix I'm undecided again.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
29 Jan 2019 10:19 #202013 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Old man emu suspension
I do have trailmaster dampers, not lifted or that but they are legend, so much control both on and off road.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Kev H
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Jan 2019 14:05 #202022 by Kev H
OK so I decided to go the trailmaster route seeing as a search all over the Internet seems to be more people in favour of these. I will report back when I have fitted them. Thanks for your help guys.

More
29 Jan 2019 14:14 - 29 Jan 2019 14:16 #202024 by NelsonB
Replied by NelsonB on topic Old man emu suspension
Kev H, I have a OME suspension, (heavy duty springs) for the last 50000km. The car improved a lot: on and off road and it became much more comfortable. I almost had a rollover at 80km/h when another car inadvertently cross the road. I stepped on the break just a bit and desviate out of the road, just to find fine sand road side and the jimny turned almost 180 grades to both sides, before I stoped! By some anetoctal reports, I suspect I would probably have flipped with the original suspension. That beeing said, I have the same impression of Yakuza, that Trailmaster is a preferred set up.
Last edit: 29 Jan 2019 14:16 by NelsonB.

More
29 Jan 2019 19:40 #202037 by adrianr
You won't regret it - the price in the shop in here are excellent

• Kev H
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
11 Feb 2019 20:22 #203026 by Kev H
OK so the 2" trailmaster kit arrived last week and I fitted it Saturday morning. The install was pretty straightforward made alot easier with the use of a four point lift.
Taking measurements before and after the install, I I was surprised that there was actually 3" of extra height that I've now gained due to the old suspension sagging 1".
Overall the crashing of the suspension over every bump has now been eliminated and the ride is alot smother and pusher.
I do feel I have gained more body roll which I will no doubt get used to and the steering is a hell of alot lighter. I a have a steering Damper on order to hopefully slow it down although it may need castor correction to fully sort that.
I probably wish I had ordered the sport shocks to help with the body roll but then they might have been too harsh a ride, who knows?

They are really good components and you do get what you pay for so I would recommend them to anyone.
It does look alot more capable compared to before I started.
Attachments:

More
11 Feb 2019 20:46 #203027 by adrianr
I lifted my Landcruier and did a caster correction shortly afterwards.

On the Jimny i did not want the same very light steering so ordered the caster correction bushes at the same time.

I've got used to the body roll (and have removed the ARB so it rolls more still). Once you get used to the roll you can still get it around the corners quickly trusting that most of the weight is still quite low down. Off road the suspension is ace.

Time to create page: 0.144 seconds