× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.[/size][/color][/b]

Re:2019 Jimny - Real Life Experience + Feedback

More
18 Mar 2019 20:41 #204773 by Bob1050
Brief update - 2000 mile 'free' service completed. Even got a video of the Jimny sent out by the technician - confirming all was well with the car - which was kind of expected. As well as carrying out a few visual inspections, the dealer washed the car before returning it. Not a lot else to add to this epistle other than the Jimny hasn't failed, fallen to bits or delivered disappointment to date..
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrPaynterZA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
21 Mar 2019 21:57 #204915 by Bob1050
A rather interesting business trip in the Jimny today. Mostly on the Motorway and further confirmation that this car really isn't suited for this type of travel - then again I sort of knew that when I purchased it. Several times today I went looking for the non-existent 6th gear, the Jimny has a sweet spot between 55 and 60mph and the fuel economy was 43 mph. Yes it can go faster but I can't say it's that pleasant an experience for car or driver. Still getting a lot of attention (favourable) from other road users and after parking up, the Kinetic Yellow acted as a beacon in the Town Centre car park - no problems keeping an eye on it from the office window.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2019 17:41 #206481 by Bob1050
Have now passed the 3500 mile mark and undertook a 450 mile trip to deepest Yorkshire. Surprisingly the Jimny has just recorded 46 mpg sitting at a fairly consistent 55 - 60 mph (which included using cruise control and air conditioning at times). Rather surprised that the driver and passenger weren't left requiring the services of the NHS as we realise the vehicle isn't primarily designed for that sort of usage on long distance motorway and 'A' class roads. We did discover that we struggled to see the infotainment screen in very bright sunlight, the windscreen seems to attract lots of flies and when leaving the vehicle in the town centre, there's almost zero places to hide your travelling luggage. Still got zero defects to report and hope it stays that way. Apparently very few folk in Yorkshire have ever seen a Kinetic Yellow Jimny and we were often approached for a chat wherever we parked up!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2019 21:28 #206504 by Bob1050
Forgot to add - not a defect with the vehicle itself but I'm monitoring just how long the rubber mat in the driver's footwell is going to last. At 3500 miles it is showing serious signs of wear where your heel would normally rest - and I don't wear clogs with irons or stiletto heels. Be interested to learn what other users experience - might be a need for a heavier duty set of mats?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Andy2640
  • Andy2640's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    Registered
  • Its better to have tried and failed.
More
22 Apr 2019 21:46 #206506 by Andy2640

Bob1050 wrote: Forgot to add - not a defect with the vehicle itself but I'm monitoring just how long the rubber mat in the driver's footwell is going to last. At 3500 miles it is showing serious signs of wear where your heel would normally rest - and I don't wear clogs with irons or stiletto heels. Be interested to learn what other users experience - might be a need for a heavier duty set of mats?


Damn it! That's my weekly transvestite's meet gone straight out the ruddy window!

A wise man once said...... When we are Mean, Shout at People, Lose our Tempers, Swear, and generally act like Tool Bags, Never forget ..... We are all Cavemen in Suits, Uniforms and/or Overalls ..... Living in Semi-Concrete Jungles. Andy - 2019 AD.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Apr 2019 22:27 #206507 by Gadget

Bob1050 wrote: the windscreen seems to attract lots of flies


I read an article in the paper recently about the huge reduction in insects worldwide where they mentioned the comparative lack of windscreen impacts compared to 20-30 years ago as evidence.

Now owning a Jimny, I'm inclined to think that the general drop in windscreen corpses is due to improved car aerodynamics, as my car is a portable insect genocide machine! I'm now stashing a rag and glass cleaner in the car, as every trip in this warmer weather leaves the screen covered in insect entrails :ohmy:
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrPaynterZA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Andy2640
  • Andy2640's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    Registered
  • Its better to have tried and failed.
More
22 Apr 2019 22:39 #206508 by Andy2640

Gadget wrote:

Bob1050 wrote: the windscreen seems to attract lots of flies


I read an article in the paper recently about the huge reduction in insects worldwide where they mentioned the comparative lack of windscreen impacts compared to 20-30 years ago as evidence.

Now owning a Jimny, I'm inclined to think that the general drop in windscreen corpses is due to improved car aerodynamics, as my car is a portable insect genocide machine! I'm now stashing a rag and glass cleaner in the car, as every trip in this warmer weather leaves the screen covered in insect entrails :ohmy:



Pmsl... Not only is the jimny one of the very best 4x4's available... BUT ...it is also a "portable insect genocide machine". The Jimny is in a league of its own! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

A wise man once said...... When we are Mean, Shout at People, Lose our Tempers, Swear, and generally act like Tool Bags, Never forget ..... We are all Cavemen in Suits, Uniforms and/or Overalls ..... Living in Semi-Concrete Jungles. Andy - 2019 AD.
The following user(s) said Thank You: MrPaynterZA

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Andy2640
  • Andy2640's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    Registered
  • Its better to have tried and failed.
More
05 May 2019 08:10 - 05 May 2019 08:22 #207343 by Andy2640
It's early days, only 200 miles, and I have some thoughts......

How do i say this...... Well, lets start with, this little jeep is astonishingly GOOD.

As I have mentioned previously, I had just stepped out of my 2016 1.2 polo, and into the Jimny. I never took the jim on a test drive, I naively just seen the car at the showroom, and said "I'm in...what do i have to do".

Well after a lot of looking around my car, playing with the gadgets (All brilliant...except maybe lane departure) and I have to say this:

> There is NOTHING i dont like about the Jimny, Nowt. I'll explain why......

I have no children, so i do not need space for prams etc. If I want to go metal detecting, I put the seats down and will be using the rubber floor mat (sold separately). I adore the cabin, its roomy in the front, feels very well made and rugged and smells lovely when new ;-)

The driving is where I really fell in love with the jim. Here are a list of the things I love whilst driving him:

1. The high driving position. Ive never owned a 4x4 before, and to me, i was super high up.
2. I always feel I am driving a much larger jeep than it is, but paradoxically, it is nible around town squeaking into spaces etc.
3. I LOVE the growly engine note. It is real, unpretentious and is a little monster gargling his forst bag of nails, its great.
4. I was expecting LOADS of body roll (from some reviews). For a high up 4x4 thats built for serious off-roading, the lean is NOTHING, and at the end of the day, Suzuki have done a stonkingly good job of making it dual use. I mean what do people want, the best little 4x4 that acts like a sports car, or small normal car?? GROW UP, BE SERIOUS.
5. I adore the little wipers squirrelling away in the rain, its very raw and real.
6. I cant get enough of the transmission whine, it reminds me of a military Humvee. Even in 2WD it sounds like an armoured mine protected military vehicle.:-) In fact, this is the bit i like the most.
7. Its a doddle to clean. (has to be said).
8. The steering i find is just fine. Again i was expecting it to be REALLY vague, but it just isnt. Yes a tiny bit of slack, but again it is optimised for serious off-road work, so what the heck, it just isnt an issue.
9. Ive experienced very little wind sheer, and movement of vehicle. We'll see.
10. It isnt a fast car, but to be honest, I really wouldnt want to go any faster in this type of car. Being high up makes me feel like I'm going faster than i am. Ive been travelling 40 mile trips in the week, and its very comfortable.
11. Fuel is around 37.5 MPG with my 215/75/15'ds on. I am happy with that.
12. I have set the speed limiter to 60MPH. At this speed there is very little cabin noise. At 65MPH it is still fine. Any higher and you'll be Burning fuel very quickly and i'd rather stay sub 65MPH. This is perfectly fine for me.
13. Brakes are decent.
14. Only done a bit of Off roading. Before i got the jim, i was thinking that i'd do loads of steep climbs etc. But now i see a hill and think....CRIKEY! So i am building my confidence up to do MORE,
15. Front LED's Lights are fabtastic!

Anyways.....this was just a quick one, more to come.

EDIT: Ohhh, no, hang on...there is one thing. The sat nav wont let me put an address in, it only allows a postcode. But perhaps im doing summit wrong.

And another: The Infotainment screen is sometimes a little bit reflective, and makes it tricky to see.

A thank you.

A wise man once said...... When we are Mean, Shout at People, Lose our Tempers, Swear, and generally act like Tool Bags, Never forget ..... We are all Cavemen in Suits, Uniforms and/or Overalls ..... Living in Semi-Concrete Jungles. Andy - 2019 AD.
Last edit: 05 May 2019 08:22 by Andy2640.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 May 2019 08:31 #207345 by stiffsteve204me

Andy2640 wrote: It's early days, only 200 miles, and I have some thoughts......

How do i say this...... Well, lets start with, this little jeep is astonishingly GOOD.

As I have mentioned previously, I had just stepped out of my 2016 1.2 polo, and into the Jimny. I never took the jim on a test drive, I naively just seen the car at the showroom, and said "I'm in...what do i have to do".

Well after a lot of looking around my car, playing with the gadgets (All brilliant...except maybe lane departure) and I have to say this:

> There is NOTHING i dont like about the Jimny, Nowt. I'll explain why......

I have no children, so i do not need space for prams etc. If I want to go metal detecting, I put the seats down and will be using the rubber floor mat (sold separately). I adore the cabin, its roomy in the front, feels very well made and rugged and smells lovely when new ;-)

The driving is where I really fell in love with the jim. Here are a list of the things I love whilst driving him:

1. The high driving position. Ive never owned a 4x4 before, and to me, i was super high up.
2. I always feel I am driving a much larger jeep than it is, but paradoxically, it is nible around town squeaking into spaces etc.
3. I LOVE the growly engine note. It is real, unpretentious and is a little monster gargling his forst bag of nails, its great.
4. I was expecting LOADS of body roll (from some reviews). For a high up 4x4 thats built for serious off-roading, the lean is NOTHING, and at the end of the day, Suzuki have done a stonkingly good job of making it dual use. I mean what do people want, the best little 4x4 that acts like a sports car, or small normal car?? GROW UP, BE SERIOUS.
5. I adore the little wipers squirrelling away in the rain, its very raw and real.
6. I cant get enough of the transmission whine, it reminds me of a military Humvee. Even in 2WD it sounds like an armoured mine protected military vehicle.:-) In fact, this is the bit i like the most.
7. Its a doddle to clean. (has to be said).
8. The steering i find is just fine. Again i was expecting it to be REALLY vague, but it just isnt. Yes a tiny bit of slack, but again it is optimised for serious off-road work, so what the heck, it just isnt an issue.
9. Ive experienced very little wind sheer, and movement of vehicle. We'll see.
10. It isnt a fast car, but to be honest, I really wouldnt want to go any faster in this type of car. Being high up makes me feel like I'm going faster than i am. Ive been travelling 40 mile trips in the week, and its very comfortable.
11. Fuel is around 37.5 MPG with my 215/75/15'ds on. I am happy with that.
12. I have set the speed limiter to 60MPH. At this speed there is very little cabin noise. At 65MPH it is still fine. Any higher and you'll be Burning fuel very quickly and i'd rather stay sub 65MPH. This is perfectly fine for me.
13. Brakes are decent.
14. Only done a bit of Off roading. Before i got the jim, i was thinking that i'd do loads of steep climbs etc. But now i see a hill and think....CRIKEY! So i am building my confidence up to do MORE,
15. Front LED's Lights are fabtastic!

Anyways.....this was just a quick one, more to come.



With close to 900 miles now on my SZ5, I would agree with most of what you say, Andy. Other than the fact:

IT IS NOT A "JEEP" :lol:

Anyone jumping into one of these, only ever having driven modern cars, is going to find the driving experience "different". The Jimny has to be driven. It needs driver input. Also, most drivers, now, have never driven a rear wheel drive car. They may well have some sphincter testing moments, trying to drive round bends as they would in a FWD, especially in the wet.

I am glad to hear that, after all of your eager anticipation, you are enjoying your car, Andy. Long may you continue to do so.




Steve.

“He that strikes the venison first shall be the lord o' the feast.” — Shakespeare, King Lear.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy2640

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Andy2640
  • Andy2640's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    Registered
  • Its better to have tried and failed.
More
05 May 2019 08:37 - 05 May 2019 08:38 #207346 by Andy2640
But...but...

I have a dual personality ;-) And when Randy comes out (being only 10 years old) He... IS A JEEP :-)

But.... YES, Andy agrees now.... it is NOT A JEEP :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Edit: Thank you Steve.

A wise man once said...... When we are Mean, Shout at People, Lose our Tempers, Swear, and generally act like Tool Bags, Never forget ..... We are all Cavemen in Suits, Uniforms and/or Overalls ..... Living in Semi-Concrete Jungles. Andy - 2019 AD.
Last edit: 05 May 2019 08:38 by Andy2640.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 May 2019 08:41 #207347 by stiffsteve204me

Andy2640 wrote: But...but...

I have a dual personality ;-) And when Randy comes out (being only 10 years old) He... IS A JEEP :-)

But.... YES, Andy agrees now.... it is NOT A JEEP :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Edit: Thank you Steve.





SWMBO, and I, went to see our Grandchildren this week. My Grandson refers to the Jimny as "Granddads Tonka Toy". :laugh:

Although he does qualify that with, "It's Awesome"





Steve.

“He that strikes the venison first shall be the lord o' the feast.” — Shakespeare, King Lear.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

  • Andy2640
  • Andy2640's Avatar
  • Offline
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Platinum Boarder
    Registered
  • Its better to have tried and failed.
More
05 May 2019 08:45 #207348 by Andy2640

stiffsteve204me wrote:

Andy2640 wrote: But...but...

I have a dual personality ;-) And when Randy comes out (being only 10 years old) He... IS A JEEP :-)

But.... YES, Andy agrees now.... it is NOT A JEEP :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Edit: Thank you Steve.





SWMBO, and I, went to see our Grandchildren this week. My Grandson refers to the Jimny as "Granddads Tonka Toy". :laugh:

Although he does qualify that with, "It's Awesome"





Steve.


Hhahaaa, Tonka is quite fitting actually......

Yes i'm still waiting for a name to crop up. Its defo a male personality type car (for me anyway) and I did have "Growler" and..."Gruffolo" pop up, but they still dont feel quite right. But i'm sure a name will come to me.

Regards......Randy.

A wise man once said...... When we are Mean, Shout at People, Lose our Tempers, Swear, and generally act like Tool Bags, Never forget ..... We are all Cavemen in Suits, Uniforms and/or Overalls ..... Living in Semi-Concrete Jungles. Andy - 2019 AD.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.136 seconds
Powered by Kunena Forum

I hope you enjoy using this forum. Please consider making a donation towards the upkeep of this forum website.

We use cookies to give you the best online experience. Please let us know if you agree to all of these cookies. Accepting the Cookies also accepts the Disclaimers for the website.