BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

2019 Jimny - Real Life Experience + Feedback

More
28 Jan 2019 20:14 #201948 by Bob1050
Firstly, thank you to other forum members for sharing their thoughts, experiences and criticisms relating to the new 2019 Suzuki Jimny models.

I have now got a SZ5 on the road and here's some non-journalist/non-sponsored comment on my experiences and thoughts to date. Trust this helps others to make up their own minds as to the reality of ownership - as in this vehicle isn't a loan vehicle, company car or funded by a third party.

The vehicle on the driveway is a SZ5 in Kinetic Yellow, which is a colour that appears to change dramatically depending on whether it is viewed under a watery winter sun, the garage floodlights at night, under grey overcast clouds or under city streetlights. It appears to go from fluorescent yellow to lime green to lemon yellow - one thing is for certain, that you will never lose it in a Tesco Car Park or accept anyone claiming "Sorry mate, I didn't see you coming"!

I always like to wash a new vehicle, that is my opportunity to learn about it and see any damage that may have occured during manufacture or transit. Have to say it's one of the quickest and simplest of cars to wash - apart from those alloy wheels. I'll need to get a couple of new fine brushes to get into all those nooks and crannies. It took me longer to clean the wheels than the rest of the car. Pleased to report that the Jimny was delivered in excellent condition and the exterior requires zero remedial action.

Took it out for a decent run to ensure all components get up to their normal working temperatures and bed in nicely, the car seemed very 'tight' but so far it's averaging just short of 44mpg, which included a mix of driving conditions. Seems happy to sit on the main road at around 55mph and as other commentators have noted - I've tried to select an imaginery 6th gear on more than one occasion. In town, its diminutive size makes parking easy and visibility is first-class all around. Love those mirrors - they deliver a great view rearwards!

Also love the mechanical selector for Hi-Low and 4WD - tried it out a few times to ensure it isn't too sticky an action, for when I do need to use it in anger. All works with no fuss and a precise mechanical action - kind of what I'd expect from a Japanese made product.

First shopping trip to Morrison's was entertaining - no debate that those seats need folding down if you have more than a box of Cornflakes, a couple of pints of milk and baguette to take home. Then again I sort of knew that before signing the order form. The big back door opens easily and access for large objects is excellent. However I'm very aware of the dangers of a high wind catching it and potentially causing damage.

Aesthetically, anyone commenting on it seems very complimentary about the design and I've received zero criticism about the shape. However the Kinetic Yellow really challenges those who live their lives in a dull and monochromatic world - apparently some of my work colleagues are in mental turmoil at such a strong visual statement in the office car park!

Very impressed with it to date - zero issues to bother Suzuki Warranty with and I hope it stays that way.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gadget, Bill Portland, stiffsteve204me, lightning

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jan 2019 20:34 - 28 Jan 2019 21:12 #201957 by Soeley
Nice write up, I do find with the rear seat in the fully upright position you can get 3 bags of shopping in there without sliding about.
Last edit: 28 Jan 2019 21:12 by Soeley.

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
28 Jan 2019 20:54 #201959 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic 2019 Jimny - Real Life Experience + Feedback

Bob1050 wrote: Firstly, thank you to other forum members for sharing their thoughts, experiences and criticisms relating to the new 2019 Suzuki Jimny models.

I have now got a SZ5 on the road and here's some non-journalist/non-sponsored comment on my experiences and thoughts to date. Trust this helps others to make up their own minds as to the reality of ownership - as in this vehicle isn't a loan vehicle, company car or funded by a third party.

The vehicle on the driveway is a SZ5 in Kinetic Yellow, which is a colour that appears to change dramatically depending on whether it is viewed under a watery winter sun, the garage floodlights at night, under grey overcast clouds or under city streetlights. It appears to go from fluorescent yellow to lime green to lemon yellow - one thing is for certain, that you will never lose it in a Tesco Car Park or accept anyone claiming "Sorry mate, I didn't see you coming"!

cured during manufacture or transit. Have to say it's one of the quickest and simplest of cars to wash - apart from those alloy wheels. I'll need to get a couple of new fine brushes to get into all those nooks and crannies. It took me longer to clean the wheels than the rest of the car. Pleased to report that the Jimny was delivered in excellent condition and the exterior requires zero remedial action.

Took it out for a decent run to ensure all components get up to their normal working temperatures and bed in nicely, the car seemed very 'tight' but so far it's averaging just short of 44mpg, which included a mix of driving conditions. Seems happy to sit on the main road at around 55mph and as other commentators have noted - I've tried to select an imaginery 6th gear on more than one occasion. In town, its diminutive size makes parking easy and visibility is first-class all around. Love those mirrors - they deliver a great view rearwards!

Also love the mechanical selector for Hi-Low and 4WD - tried it out a few times to ensure it isn't too sticky an action, for when I do need to use it in anger. All works with no fuss and a precise mechanical action - kind of what I'd expect from a Japanese made product.

First shopping trip to Morrison's was entertaining - no debate that those seats need folding down if you have more than a box of Cornflakes, a couple of pints of milk and baguette to take home. Then again I sort of knew that before signing the order form. The big back door opens easily and access for large objects is excellent. However I'm very aware of the dangers of a high wind catching it and potentially causing damage.

Aesthetically, anyone commenting on it seems very complimentary about the design and I've received zero criticism about the shape. However the Kinetic Yellow really challenges those who live their lives in a dull and monochromatic world - apparently some of my work colleagues are in mental turmoil at such a strong visual statement in the office car park!

Very impressed with it to date - zero issues to bother Suzuki Warranty with and I hope it stays that way.

Thanks, a good sum up there, much appreciated. So in your view, whats a tolerable max cruising speed. You mention it sitting happy at 55mph, but will it cruise moderately happy at 60-65mph u think? Thanks again.

More
28 Jan 2019 21:02 - 28 Jan 2019 21:03 #201960 by Themooingman
Great review glad your enjoying it. In regard to the speed I felt 65 was comfortable yet just that little bit more at 70 felt a little uncomfortable. However engine is tight so interested to make a further comment say at 1,500 miles. I did a review of mine first week.

2019 Gen 4 Jimny SZ5 in Silky Silver. Parking sensors and Rear Camera, floor mats pack and Rigid tyre Cover
Last edit: 28 Jan 2019 21:03 by Themooingman.

More
28 Jan 2019 21:52 #201965 by Bob1050
Thanks guys - I'll admit I haven't yet tried for 70mph. Did hit 65mph and I just eased back as it felt really tight at this stage.

Inside the vehicle I've followed Soeley's tip and those rubber mats seem like a wise choice for those with wet/muddy/snow covered boots. Like the rim around the perimeter of the mat to trap free-flowing water.

Finding the sat-nav better than on other cars I drive - clear imagery and works well for me. Went mining in the rear and checked that the jack etc were present and correct under the storage tray. Will admit I had to refer to the manual to access those key components - and they were all present and correct. Those rear seats are an absolute design gem in terms of ease of folding. However the front seats irritating inability to retain your pre-set backrest position, after letting passengers into the rear seats, is one area that would benefit from a design rethink. The standard OEM headlights are incredible down our country lanes - zero criticism for whoever specified them as standard. For me returning to an old-fashioned key in the ignition is a novelty and no hassle - rather enjoy it. Thank goodness the Jimny doesn't come with that irritating stop/start technology that cuts in every time you meet a traffic light at red. You can easily see where Suzuki have aimed to cut costs to meet a price point and target profit margin but I'm rather enjoying returning to a more utility type vehicle. This leaves a number of opportunities for owners to upgrade components if they feel it's necessary. Even the windscreen washers pump out an old-fashioned direct stream of cleaning liquid rather than spraying a fine mist over the windscreen. Another pleasant surprise was the cost of a full 3 year service plan - far less than the cost of a single oil change service at Land Rover. Personally I'd have liked a choice of tyres - namely a more off-road focused tyre with a chunkier tread. However the standard tyres do have the benefit of being rather quiet on the road - a lot lot quieter than the run-flats on a BMW/MINI I was driving recently. Regarding Lamberts review of the seats - I will politely disagree with him - they are infinitely more comfortable than the pressed steel seat and potato sack cushion on my tractor. If you are tall (long upper torso) you may also wish that the Jimny had an adjustable upper mount for the seatbelt. Now I'm awaiting some snow to test out the standard tyres and 4WD on the Queen's Highway and I've also got a desire to see some cattle that are wandering about (rough grazing) on a hillside not far away.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gadget, Bill Portland, stiffsteve204me

More
29 Jan 2019 20:02 #202042 by Bob1050
Today saw a flurry of snow and an opportunity to see how the new car would perform. First thoughts were just how clever the Suzuki designers are at body design (unlike German or English based manufacturers). In frost or snow you are not required to ask a small child to climb in the rear door and open the driver's door from the inside. Before attempting to open the driver's door you don't have to defrost the rubber door seals which freeze to the steel door surround. On opening the driver's door the water in the roof gutter doesn't cascade into the driver's footwell or over the seat. When you look in the footwell rubber mats, the only water you see is that which has dripped off your footwear - unlike the last new 4WDvehicle I bought, which leaked rainwater through the front bulkhead, the windscreen surround and various other panel 'gaps'. Another benefit of the new Suzuki Jimny is that so far it hasn't dripped engine oil or transmission lubricants and stained my driveway - like some primitive form of life marking out its territory. Once out on the snowy roads the Jimny acquitted itself well and I was well impressed with the ease of switching between 2WD and 4WD on the move. Still think the OEM tyres look a bit too normal like a standard car tyre and I'd still like something that looks more 4WD appropriate and 'off-road' capable.

More
29 Jan 2019 20:18 #202045 by Bob1050
The return to an analogue speedo has amused some drivers - no option to display a digital speedo seemed strange but all the instrumentation is clear to see and the chunky controls easily operated (with or without gloves). Today's duties have included a range of domestic chores and after a few hundred miles everything appears to be bedding in nicely, the engine and transmission seem to freeing off in a very agreeable fashion and the brakes have bedded in. Another surprise was to find that the rear brakes are drum brakes - it's donkey's years since I last purchased a new car with such antique technology. I will also admit that my Jimny pre-purchase research failed to note that feature. Still mildly irritated by the design of the sliding/folding operation of the front seats - every time I let a family member in or out I have to reset the backrest. So in a nutshell - a few very minor issues to work around but overwhelmingly a very positive experience.

More
29 Jan 2019 21:08 #202046 by Soeley
Just make all rear seat passengers climb in through the passenger door and not the drivers side. My previous car was designed only to let rear passenger in/out the passenger side, which I thought was good common sense. I love analogue gauges. I am still being a bit nervous with slush on the road when it is not really suitable for 4WD as this is the first RWD car I have every had, so not sure how to expect it to behave yet.

More
29 Jan 2019 21:54 - 29 Jan 2019 21:57 #202053 by Foxtrot

Bob1050 wrote: . Still mildly irritated by the design of the sliding/folding operation of the front seats - every time I let a family member in or out I have to reset the backrest.

I would assume your seats are set up like the previous Jimny, rear access is via the passenger side, it slides and folds a lot easier than the drivers side, plus it should also have a small foot pedal for the rear passenger to operate under the seat so that it collapses and slides forward..

Great to see that you're enjoying it, keep the on going reviews coming...
Last edit: 29 Jan 2019 21:57 by Foxtrot.

More
29 Jan 2019 22:07 #202054 by raLLe
i cant wait to purchase the new jimny.

It is not official announced in denmark yet :( so mayby i will get one in 2020 :(

My Instagram - wanderlust_jimny

• Hammo19
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
29 Jan 2019 23:16 #202056 by Hammo19
Replied by Hammo19 on topic 2019 Jimny - Real Life Experience + Feedback
Super reviews Bob - keep them coming. Helps pass the time while I eagerly await my delivery.

• SmallBlue
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
30 Jan 2019 14:03 #202101 by SmallBlue
Replied by SmallBlue on topic 2019 Jimny - Real Life Experience + Feedback
Bob 1050 what they charge you for 3 year service plan?

Time to create page: 0.264 seconds