BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

2019 Jimny - Real Life Experience + Feedback

• LeesJimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Oct 2019 10:48 - 24 Oct 2019 10:49 #215113 by LeesJimny
Replied by LeesJimny on topic 2019 Jimny - Real Life Experience + Feedback
Mine has just had the 12,500 mile service after 8 months, only issue I’ve had is there is a sound of water sloshing about when it’s sat overnight and I had a bit of rust showing near the front towing eye, dealer claimed it was due to it being tied down in transit, not convinced but will keep an eye on it, the windscreen needs replacing as it has a crack from a stone but it’s not missed a beat.
It’s definitely pulling better now it’s done a few miles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Last edit: 24 Oct 2019 10:49 by LeesJimny.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• LeesJimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
24 Oct 2019 12:58 #215116 by LeesJimny
Replied by LeesJimny on topic Re:2019 Jimny - Real Life Experience + Feedback

Lambert wrote:

Soeley wrote: I have had the brakes come on on mine. Some stupid chav thought they were big by just walking out and smirking out you. I always try and get as close as I can before giving them the full blast of the air horns :woohoo: I was only doing about 20 mph as I was approaching my turn, the brakes kicked in just as I was pressing the brake pedal.

In a situation like that where you have a functioning avoidance system in operation and someone puts it to the test and gets hurt who does the liability rest with? Obviously not the injured party as no one takes personal responsibility anymore. Not you as the driver as you can't be expected to anticipate every last second action by another party, hence the need for the automated system. And not the car manufacturer as they will have small print absolving their responsibility for the use of their automatic avoidance system.

Had my avoidance system go off twice, once in my error but was on the brakes at pretty much the same time but the other was going up the drive and a tractor had caught a branch that left it hanging low, it bleeped and hit the brakes, I wasn’t expecting it to so slammed in the wheel much to my partners amusement who was watching at the side.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

More
13 Nov 2019 16:38 #215605 by Bill Portland

Bill Portland wrote:

Bob1050 wrote:

Bill Portland wrote:

Bob1050 wrote:

Bill Portland wrote: Funnily enough, autoglass repaired a chip in mine today. Not terribly successfully and I'm waiting for someone to come and check it cos its worse than it was. I guess they'll say they tried, but that I need a new windscreen. I wonder if they'll have original Suzuki replacements or some generic make (and which is best)?

I understand that Autoglass (and their competitors) do not fit 'genuine Suzuki' windscreens - but then again, how many windscreen manufacturers exist that would tool up to make a few Jimny windscreens. I suspect all Jimny windscreens (for new build and replacement) all come from just one or two factories in the world.

The current fashion for saving weight/saving costs/saving the planet seems to be making windscreens ever more easily chipped/fractured.

Regarding Bill's concern about his repaired windscreen - your discussion will likely revolve around "the repair is structurally sound (the bonding) and guaranteed - but the cosmetic appearance was the best we could do in the circumstances". If your Jimny requires a new windscreen - the 'fully loaded/sensor' windscreen - the fitter will have to recalibrate your sensors - and Autoglass will advise you that if they are not successful then it's your problem to resolve at the Suzuki dealers. Sometimes basic and poverty spec cars have their attractions/benefits.

That's exactly how the discussion went. I was unhappy with the repair and got them back and they agreed to replace the windscreen. They're fitting a genuine Suzuki one next week but they can't calibrate the ADAS so my Suzuki dealer is doing that afterwards for the price of £39.95 which is being picked up by autoglass (and no doubt passed on to my insurer).

Oh no! Someone (Bill) agrees with me on a public forum! On a more serious note - thanks to Bill for updating us and trust others find the info of interest and value. We trust Bill's Jimny is fully restored to ex-factory condition.

Autoglass replaced the windscreen today (with a genuine suzuki one) and also recalibrated the ADAS system themselves. Between me booking it in and today they had received the necessary parts to do the recalibration. So all is well in the world again.

Less than 2 months on and I now have another chip in the windscreen. Am I unlucky or is this going to be a frequent issue? Anyone else suffering from stone chips in their windscreen?

More
13 Nov 2019 18:08 #215607 by mlines
Gerald, aka LittleJimny picked up a stone chip on the screen on Monday. Too small to repair

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• LeesJimny
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Nov 2019 18:22 #215608 by LeesJimny
Replied by LeesJimny on topic Re:2019 Jimny - Real Life Experience + Feedback

Bill Portland wrote:

Bill Portland wrote:

Bob1050 wrote:

Bill Portland wrote:

Bob1050 wrote:

Bill Portland wrote: Funnily enough, autoglass repaired a chip in mine today. Not terribly successfully and I'm waiting for someone to come and check it cos its worse than it was. I guess they'll say they tried, but that I need a new windscreen. I wonder if they'll have original Suzuki replacements or some generic make (and which is best)?

I understand that Autoglass (and their competitors) do not fit 'genuine Suzuki' windscreens - but then again, how many windscreen manufacturers exist that would tool up to make a few Jimny windscreens. I suspect all Jimny windscreens (for new build and replacement) all come from just one or two factories in the world.

The current fashion for saving weight/saving costs/saving the planet seems to be making windscreens ever more easily chipped/fractured.

Regarding Bill's concern about his repaired windscreen - your discussion will likely revolve around "the repair is structurally sound (the bonding) and guaranteed - but the cosmetic appearance was the best we could do in the circumstances". If your Jimny requires a new windscreen - the 'fully loaded/sensor' windscreen - the fitter will have to recalibrate your sensors - and Autoglass will advise you that if they are not successful then it's your problem to resolve at the Suzuki dealers. Sometimes basic and poverty spec cars have their attractions/benefits.

That's exactly how the discussion went. I was unhappy with the repair and got them back and they agreed to replace the windscreen. They're fitting a genuine Suzuki one next week but they can't calibrate the ADAS so my Suzuki dealer is doing that afterwards for the price of £39.95 which is being picked up by autoglass (and no doubt passed on to my insurer).

Oh no! Someone (Bill) agrees with me on a public forum! On a more serious note - thanks to Bill for updating us and trust others find the info of interest and value. We trust Bill's Jimny is fully restored to ex-factory condition.

Autoglass replaced the windscreen today (with a genuine suzuki one) and also recalibrated the ADAS system themselves. Between me booking it in and today they had received the necessary parts to do the recalibration. So all is well in the world again.

Less than 2 months on and I now have another chip in the windscreen. Am I unlucky or is this going to be a frequent issue? Anyone else suffering from stone chips in their windscreen?

It’s going to happen, the windscreen is so steep an angle it happens, I had a VW Caravelle that has a steep windscreen and it was forever getting chips.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Grima
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
17 Nov 2019 19:27 #215719 by Grima
It's just another boring white SZ5 but it's MINE all Mine. Had it two days, Motorways, I thought it was just like any small under powered car. Around town so easy. No grind in 1st gear even forgot it has that collision thing as it has never flashed up. I seem to be driving 6 foot from the curb as I'm use to driving a dirty diesel LR. Things I have done DRL lights, rear speakers & door protection, sound proofing rear only, still lots to do For the upgrades I would like to thank the members of this forum for there "How to do it" posts. The dealer told me they would only be getting 3 Jimny's from now to Sep 2020 Ouch!!

More
17 Nov 2019 20:02 #215721 by mlines
White boring??

Never!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Martin

2003 M13 early KAP build.
3" Trailmaster lift with 1.5 Spacers on front
Customised winch bumper and roll cage
235/85R16 Maxxis Bighorns on 16" Rims, 4:1 Rocklobster, Rear ARB locker and on-board air
Corrected arms all-round, rear disks, Recaro seats and harnesses

• Grima
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
25 Nov 2019 22:25 #215967 by Grima
Collision thing is broke or they upgraded it? not gone off once. Still no grind noise in 1st gear, 69 plate. The clutch bite is right of the floor (fully depressed) is that normal?

More
08 Dec 2019 12:47 #216291 by Bob1050
Brief update - and it will not make for very exciting reading or an emotional outburst.

Jimny has had its 12,500 mile annual service and it was returned cleaner that when it was handed in. Service receptionist asked if there were any other issues that I wanted them to look at - and there weren't. So far not a single warranty claim to report. So hopefully that's us for another 12 months or 12,500 miles of hassle free motoring.

Now all I need is for some really heavy downfalls of snow to have some fun in.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley, stiffsteve204me

More
24 Jan 2020 17:11 #217655 by Bob1050
Today's update - The Jimny has now passed 14,000 miles on the odometer and continues to make me smile. Still attracting positive comments from complete strangers who seem magnetically drawn to its quirky appearance and rarity. Only bizarre news to report is that after carefully checking/resetting all my tyre pressures (when stone cold), the TPMS recalibrated and now shows them all (on the dashboard) at 2 psig higher than my fancy/expensive digital gauge shows. Someone is being economical with the truth! Other than that all is well (and that's just fine with me). Great car but disappointing to think it may be the last Jimny I own, if sales to the UK market cease.

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
24 Jan 2020 17:55 #217657 by Lambert
A Jimny is for life, not just for the warranty!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
24 Jan 2020 18:41 #217659 by Soeley

Lambert wrote: A Jimny is for life, not just for the warranty!

I like that! B)
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

Time to create page: 0.193 seconds