BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - EARLY BIRD DISCOUNTED PRICE

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

2019 Jimny - Real Life Experience + Feedback

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
05 May 2019 08:09 #207349 by Lambert
Told you that you would regret not having bought a Jimny years ago! Glad you are enjoying it. Oh and if I might suggest getting yourself some professional off road driving tuition, you'll be amazed where it will take you!

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 May 2019 08:14 #207350 by Gadget
People calling Jimnys or Land-Rovers 'Jeeps' is almost as annoying as calling them trucks. No, they're cars.

Angers me almost as much as 'One life. Live it.' stickers! :evil:

Oh and my car is called Michael J(imny) Fox. As it's small, cute, universally liked and errr (with apologies to MJF) shakes a lot.

More
05 May 2019 08:41 #207352 by Soeley

Andy2640 wrote: It's early days, only 200 miles, and I have some thoughts......

How do i say this...... Well, lets start with, this little jeep is astonishingly GOOD.

As I have mentioned previously, I had just stepped out of my 2016 1.2 polo, and into the Jimny. I never took the jim on a test drive, I naively just seen the car at the showroom, and said "I'm in...what do i have to do".

Well after a lot of looking around my car, playing with the gadgets (All brilliant...except maybe lane departure) and I have to say this:

> There is NOTHING i dont like about the Jimny, Nowt. I'll explain why......

I have no children, so i do not need space for prams etc. If I want to go metal detecting, I put the seats down and will be using the rubber floor mat (sold separately). I adore the cabin, its roomy in the front, feels very well made and rugged and smells lovely when new ;-)

The driving is where I really fell in love with the jim. Here are a list of the things I love whilst driving him:

1. The high driving position. Ive never owned a 4x4 before, and to me, i was super high up.
2. I always feel I am driving a much larger jeep than it is, but paradoxically, it is nible around town squeaking into spaces etc.
3. I LOVE the growly engine note. It is real, unpretentious and is a little monster gargling his forst bag of nails, its great.
4. I was expecting LOADS of body roll (from some reviews). For a high up 4x4 thats built for serious off-roading, the lean is NOTHING, and at the end of the day, Suzuki have done a stonkingly good job of making it dual use. I mean what do people want, the best little 4x4 that acts like a sports car, or small normal car?? GROW UP, BE SERIOUS.
5. I adore the little wipers squirrelling away in the rain, its very raw and real.
6. I cant get enough of the transmission whine, it reminds me of a military Humvee. Even in 2WD it sounds like an armoured mine protected military vehicle.:-) In fact, this is the bit i like the most.
7. Its a doddle to clean. (has to be said).
8. The steering i find is just fine. Again i was expecting it to be REALLY vague, but it just isnt. Yes a tiny bit of slack, but again it is optimised for serious off-road work, so what the heck, it just isnt an issue.
9. Ive experienced very little wind sheer, and movement of vehicle. We'll see.
10. It isnt a fast car, but to be honest, I really wouldnt want to go any faster in this type of car. Being high up makes me feel like I'm going faster than i am. Ive been travelling 40 mile trips in the week, and its very comfortable.
11. Fuel is around 37.5 MPG with my 215/75/15'ds on. I am happy with that.
12. I have set the speed limiter to 60MPH. At this speed there is very little cabin noise. At 65MPH it is still fine. Any higher and you'll be Burning fuel very quickly and i'd rather stay sub 65MPH. This is perfectly fine for me.
13. Brakes are decent.
14. Only done a bit of Off roading. Before i got the jim, i was thinking that i'd do loads of steep climbs etc. But now i see a hill and think....CRIKEY! So i am building my confidence up to do MORE,
15. Front LED's Lights are fabtastic!

Anyways.....this was just a quick one, more to come.

EDIT: Ohhh, no, hang on...there is one thing. The sat nav wont let me put an address in, it only allows a postcode. But perhaps im doing summit wrong.

And another: The Infotainment screen is sometimes a little bit reflective, and makes it tricky to see.

A thank you.

I think I totally agree with you Andy, for me coming from a Toyota iQ 1.3, my experience was very similar to yours.

• JackBates
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 May 2019 08:45 #207353 by JackBates
Replied by JackBates on topic 2019 Jimny - Real Life Experience + Feedback

Gadget wrote: People calling Jimnys or Land-Rovers 'Jeeps' is almost as annoying as calling them trucks. No, they're cars.

Angers me almost as much as 'One life. Live it.' stickers! :evil:

Oh and my car is called Michael J(imny) Fox. As it's small, cute, universally liked and errr (with apologies to MJF) shakes a lot.

Suzuki say its an estate ;) Love driving the 3 door wagon :P

• Andy2640
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
05 May 2019 11:13 #207364 by Andy2640
Replied by Andy2640 on topic 2019 Jimny - Real Life Experience + Feedback
Like what you did there jack :-)

More
05 May 2019 15:01 #207378 by Bill Portland
1st sleepover last night in deepest darkest Devon (250 mile round trip) . Apart from too soft a pillow it was fine.

Fishing gear on one side, me on the other

The following user(s) said Thank You: Andy2640, johnjohanaphy

More
05 May 2019 16:01 - 05 May 2019 16:06 #207380 by Foxtrot
Looks snug in there Bill....:) I have noticed that a lot of Japanese Jimny owners on YouTube that they like to use them for sleepovers. There are some good tips with window blinds, storage systems and cooking equipment....:)
Last edit: 05 May 2019 16:06 by Foxtrot.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Bill Portland, johnjohanaphy

More
06 May 2019 22:07 #207469 by Bob1050
Today I gave the Jimny a bit of an overdue clean. Have to say that those alloy wheels don't really show the dirt (good colour choice Mr Suzuki Designer) - but some of the nooks and crannies require a toothbrush to get the dirt out and getting back to that 'factory fresh' look.

That's me at 4000 miles on the clock and still zero defects to report. Fuel economy has dropped back to 45 mpg following the Great Yorkshire Expedition at Easter.

More
26 May 2019 19:36 #209038 by Bob1050
Off to the woodyard in the Jimny today for a couple of lengths of timber. I took a saw, thinking the short wheelbase would severely limit the length of timber I could carry inside the vehicle.

Shock and awe as two off 2400mm lengths slid in the back door and dropped into the front passenger footwell. Back door closed with ease, saw was redundant and zero damage to the interior finishes. What a result and still wondering if the Jimny is actually a Tardis?
The following user(s) said Thank You: Gadget, stiffsteve204me, johnjohanaphy

More
07 Jun 2019 19:22 #209740 by Bob1050
Not a lot to report on the Jimny since the last post. We are into June - the rain never seems to cease, the wind continues to blow and the Jimny has now motored on beyond 5000 miles on the odometer. Fuel consumption seems to be hovering around 44 mpg and absolutely zero to report about mechanical or electrical failures, rattles or general failures. Over the past few days I've had a few thumbs up from Land Rover owners as we have passed on the road and the Jimny continues to attract positive comments from random strangers when parked up.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Soeley, stiffsteve204me

• JonnyBBB
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
13 Jun 2019 19:27 #209922 by JonnyBBB
Hi Bob, are you running the stock rims that you're getting this mpg's?

More
14 Jun 2019 19:55 #209954 by Bob1050
Hi JonnyBBB - Confirmation that I'm running on stock rims/tyres. The Jimny is being run in 'no mods' specification. Another bizarre week with the Jimny being videoed by complete strangers and various footage/stills appearing on other social media platforms. Warning - do not buy a Kinetic Yellow Jimny if you want to travel about incognito, work as a spook or don't want strange people approaching you and striking up a conversation in public car parks. Other family members also report conversations with strangers about being spotted in various locales.

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds