BigJimnyMeet (North) 2024 (12 Jan 2024)

BigJimnyMeet 2024

14th July 2024
Parkwood Nr. Leeds

Booking now open - Discount for additional vehicles

Click HERE for details

× A place for general chat about the Jimny. Please make sure you post in the correct section on the site, this way it keeps the site tidy AND ensures you get a more relevant answer.

Suppliers/Dealers or anyone selling with a commercial view in mind CANNOT post here unless responding to a specific request of a member in a "wanted" post.

Suppliers include people "breaking for spares" on a regular basis, when purchasing spares members should ask a supplier what they contribute to the running of the forum particularly if contacted by a Private Message

Suppliers or Members who have contributed to the forum can be identifed by the
logo.

Stuck in 4wd

• Mattch5150
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Dec 2018 13:01 #198987 by Mattch5150
Stuck in 4wd was created by Mattch5150
Hi all. The jimny 2005 manual has been working well. It needed a clutch adjustment but cable was seized. Garage fitted a new clutch cable yesterday. When driving yesterday put into 4wd. Car is in 4wd but green light flashing. Will Not go into 2wd or 4l. It was working fine day before cable change. Do you think it is likely connected to cable change. I've checked vacuum pipes,cleaned filter, had wheels off to check hub lines. Checked wires near transfer box. Driving forwards and back but nothing. When I pull black pipe off vacuum port I can hear vacuum when plugging it back in. It Will go back on Monday but cannot drive it far stuck in 4wd. I've jacked wheel up in neutral and it cannot be turned. Very annoying !

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Dec 2018 13:17 - 15 Dec 2018 13:18 #198988 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Stuck in 4wd
Is this the dreaded gearbox wind-up that I've heard about?

I'm sure someone told me that if you can bash it off a kerb or a rock it will jump out of it, but if that's not true I stand corrected.

Worth a try?

...Or a wire has got knocked off a solenoid sw?

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 15 Dec 2018 13:18 by Max Headroom.

• Mattch5150
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Dec 2018 14:12 #198991 by Mattch5150
Replied by Mattch5150 on topic Stuck in 4wd
And garage is 1.5 miles away so driving there is a risk also

• Mattch5150
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Dec 2018 15:40 #198993 by Mattch5150
Replied by Mattch5150 on topic Stuck in 4wd
Ive tried the wind up fixes no joy. I presume it had vacuum to put it into 4wd . The switches do absolutely nothing. Wish I had bought a land rover now!!. Thanks for listening all.

• paradox1001
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Dec 2018 16:43 #198994 by paradox1001
Replied by paradox1001 on topic Re:Stuck in 4wd
If you pull the vac hoses off won’t that disconnect the front wheels from the drive shafts?
So even though it’s in 4wd you will just be turning the front diff and shafts and not the wheels?
It could then be driven to the garage.

• Mattch5150
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Dec 2018 16:55 #198995 by Mattch5150
Replied by Mattch5150 on topic Re:Stuck in 4wd
I'm not sure which hoses to pull off. If driven slowly without tight turns should be ok. Looking for a 4 x 4 panda now

More
15 Dec 2018 17:48 #198999 by jackonlyjack
Replied by jackonlyjack on topic Re:Stuck in 4wd
You can remove the vacuum hubs and drive it
Also when removed push the splined collar back and re fit start the car and see if they clunk back to 4wd mode
Have a look for broken wires on transfer box

• Mattch5150
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Dec 2018 18:36 #199000 by Mattch5150
I'm done with it. Panda 1.3 diesel is the way forward

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
15 Dec 2018 19:43 #199002 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:Stuck in 4wd
Don't do that. The panda my best friend had was utterly insufferable and about as robust as a politician's promise, you'll hate it.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

• Mattch5150
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
    Public
15 Dec 2018 19:49 #199003 by Mattch5150
Well it's my girlfriend's car, we live out in the sticks I never go truly off road but have flooded, mud filled, icy roads to deal with. I dont see the point of the jimny 4wd system unless you are a farmer that doesn't need to carry much. Its a real dissapointment to me. I suppose it was developed for 3rd world countries where all roads are bad. Britain is not like that. The newer panda 4 x 4 with multijet diesel will be better im sure

• Lambert
    Registered
  • The quickest Jimny in Harrogate...(that I own)
More
15 Dec 2018 20:08 #199005 by Lambert
Replied by Lambert on topic Re:Stuck in 4wd
His was new from fiat January 2016, had it about 6 months of which it spent the last 3 being fixed before he punted it. Fix It Again Tomorrow.

A Jimny with appropriate tyres will go places in 2wd that most permanent 4x4s would fall over looking at. Get it fixed, stick with it you won't regret it.

Temeraire (2018 quasar grey automatic)
One of the last 200ish of the gen3s, probably.
ADOS Attention Deficit Ooooh Shiny!

More
15 Dec 2018 21:29 - 15 Dec 2018 21:32 #199008 by Max Headroom
Replied by Max Headroom on topic Re:Stuck in 4wd

Mattch5150 wrote: . I suppose it was developed for 3rd world countries where all roads are bad. Britain is not like that

It is where I live.

But then you said this...

Mattch5150 wrote: we live out in the sticks I never go truly off road but have flooded, mud filled, icy roads to deal with.

Sounds the same as third world country to me :dry:

Matt you sound quite bitter and easily defeated by this; the Jimny is relatively easy to work on and you will not find an online help resource as friendly and helpful as this forum.
On the other hand, the Panda - a very capable car when hasn't got bits falling off it and some unfeasible electrical debacle, there is no specific forum that I'm aware of.

I'm sure if you get that small fault fixed you will find it perfect for your situation;
I don't off-road mine either - like you I live in the sticks with crap roads that I have to negotiate at ridiculous hours of the night and morning just to get to and from work, and its a big part of the reason I opted for Japanese reliability... Every make will break if it isn't properly maintained.
Prevention is better than cure.

As Lambert said

Lambert wrote: Get it fixed, stick with it you won't regret it.

IF IT AINT BROKE, KEEP FIXING IT UNTIL IT IS
Last edit: 15 Dec 2018 21:32 by Max Headroom.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lambert

Time to create page: 0.173 seconds